Why Is Lack of Belief In a God/Gods Depressing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 07:05 AM
RE: Why Is Lack of Belief In a God/Gods Depressing?
(17-12-2013 06:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  What is depressing to me is that we have ... no meteor defense system for the planet

But we have at least two designs for such a system:

(1) Earth-based

(2) Outer-space-based

It's all sorted so you are getting depressed for no good reason.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
17-12-2013, 08:14 AM
"I think it's depressing" for believers = they've an eternal life (heaven) to look forward to regardless of how good or bad life can be. I could be mistaken but I think this is why they say "that's just depressing". They feel *saved* or "safe".

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-12-2013, 10:25 AM
(16-12-2013 10:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Do any of you also get this response when you tell people that you're atheist?

Kind of. Last week, my (Christian) wife asked me if this time of year is odd without religion. I told her that it's not, because even when I was Christian, my family didn't put a lot of emphasis on the religious aspects of the holidays (other than singing religious carols along with all the others). She said she couldn't imagine it without religion.

And that's most of it. They're just used to thinking about things a certain way, and it really is a serous paradigm shift to think about everything without God. I had to go through it myself when I stopped believing. There were things I realized that I hadn't rethought for quite some time after I stopped believing. It can be weird to go from assuming you have a soul that is immortal and will eventually live forever in paradise to assuming you don't.

As far as "depressing" goes, what gets me more is the assumptions that most Christians make about belief and hell. While Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, it's still a minority in the world compared to non-Christians (about 1:2, as 35% of the world self-labels as Christian). Now, if you take a John 3:16 approach to setting the bar to get into Heaven, your best case is that 35% of the world gets into heaven and 65% goes to hell. That's the best case, not factoring in that some (perhaps a very large) amount of those 35% aren't "true" Christians and will also burn. I've seen no shortage of Christians discuss this in terms of "false doctrines" and whatnot. They literally believe there are well-intentioned Christians out there who will burn for eternity.

So, to assume that I have an immortal soul and that no less than two thirds of all immortal souls will be tortured for eternity... I'd take simply not existing over that any day. Contemplating the majority of people suffering for the rest of time is depressing.

(Now, I know that some Christians get creative with the heaven/hell criteria to reduce the number of people in hell, and some even get rid of hell altogether. My point is that most Christians still believe that belief in Jesus as the lord and savior is a prerequisite, and that's what I'm addressing.)
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-12-2013, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 01:42 PM by BlackMason.)
(16-12-2013 10:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  What I do find depressing is the thought that without religion that people would have no morals. In other words, that people would run amok because they had no fear of going to hell.

The way I respond to that is by looking to nature. I use the example of chimpanzees. Chimps are a social creature. We share about 98% of our DNA with em. They have no bible or religion from what we can tell. They are socially cohesive. They help one another. [Through] the process of evolution we have retained that part of our being that makes us want to help one another. This is because it has obvious advantages. Chimps don't run amok because they [don't] fear hell and neither do they need a holy text to get them to act in certain ways.

(16-12-2013 10:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So, the reason that people do good is because they want to cover their own ass for the afterlife? Sorry, but that thought is depressing to me.

If people think their god is dumb enough to accept a superficial level of dick sucking just to get into heaven....then....that god....is a fuck nut.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
17-12-2013, 12:31 PM
(17-12-2013 12:25 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  What I do find depressing is the thought that without religion that people would have no morals. In other words, that people would run amok because they had no fear of going to hell.

The way I respond to that is by looking to nature. I use the example of chimpanzees. Chimps are a social creature. We share about 98% of our DNA with em. They have no bible or religion from what we can tell. They are socially cohesive. They help one another. Throught the process of evolution we have retained that part of our being that makes us want to help one another. This is because it has obvious advantages. Chimps don't run amok because they fear hell and neither do they need a holy text to get them to act in certain ways.

(16-12-2013 10:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So, the reason that people do good is because they want to cover their own ass for the afterlife? Sorry, but that thought is depressing to me.

If people think their god is dumb enough to accept a superficial level of dick sucking just to get into heaven....then....that god....is a fuck nut.

**spewage of hot tea**

OMG ROFLMFAO **more spew*

thanks for the laugh - I needed that. Bowing

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
17-12-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 05:24 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(17-12-2013 10:25 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  As far as "depressing" goes, what gets me more is the assumptions that most Christians make about belief and hell. While Christianity is the biggest religion in the world, it's still a minority in the world compared to non-Christians (about 1:2, as 35% of the world self-labels as Christian). Now, if you take a John 3:16 approach to setting the bar to get into Heaven, your best case is that 35% of the world gets into heaven and 65% goes to hell. That's the best case, not factoring in that some (perhaps a very large) amount of those 35% aren't "true" Christians and will also burn. I've seen no shortage of Christians discuss this in terms of "false doctrines" and whatnot. They literally believe there are well-intentioned Christians out there who will burn for eternity.

So, to assume that I have an immortal soul and that no less than two thirds of all immortal souls will be tortured for eternity... I'd take simply not existing over that any day. Contemplating the majority of people suffering for the rest of time is depressing.

Yes, that is one of the biggest factors that drove me away from religion. The whole thing about Christianity being the one true way, when two-thirds of the world's population is not Christian, is just incredibly pretentious. I didn't like the idea that I was brought up to believe in the right religion while all these other people around were brought up to believe in the wrong religion. I have many friends of different ethnic backgrounds and different religions who are kind, good-hearted people. Yet, they were brought up to believe in something wrong, and I was brought up to believe what is right? The thought of it just disgusted me.

I grew up in a Catholic family, and the greed and way that the Catholic Church turned a blind eye to the rape and molestation of children angered me so much. I started going to services at churches of other sects of Christianity. I found out that they were just as greedy and stuck up as the Catholic Church. People like to single out the Catholic Church all the time, but the other sects are no different. They simply don't get the scrutiny that the Catholic Church does because they are smaller. You hear these people of other religions slamming the Catholic Church all the time with their attitude of "Well, my sect doesn't act that way!" and that's complete bullshit. Keep in mind that the KKK hate Catholics and the most racist part of the country (basically the whole area known as "The Bible Belt") is made up of a vast majority of protestant sects of Christianity. They are no better.

I actually felt relieved when I walked away from religion and became an atheist.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
17-12-2013, 06:14 PM
That's... not even an argument.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
17-12-2013, 07:17 PM
(17-12-2013 05:16 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I actually felt relieved when I walked away from religion and became an atheist.

Me too. At least once I could admit it.
17-12-2013, 09:41 PM
(17-12-2013 06:14 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  That's... not even an argument.

What is not even an argument?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2013, 11:07 PM
(17-12-2013 09:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 06:14 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  That's... not even an argument.

What is not even an argument?

The opening post, with the so called argument. That's what's not an argument. I agree that's it's not, it's just something dumb they all say. It's pathetic, that's what it is.
[+] 1 user Likes Mythic_GhostX's post