Why Monarchies have No Moral Legitimacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Re: RE: Why Monarchies have No Moral Legitimacy
(29-07-2014 05:08 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 05:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Laughat

Regarding monarchs, you want to speak about republics deriving power from the masses but so do monarchies. The Queen is the Queen because the people allow her to be. Louis XVI (If I got the right dude here) lost power because the people did not allow him to keep it. Hell, even the Queen lost pretty much all her power because the people (well... the Baron's..) decided somewhere along the line that the King/Queen shouldn't have X amount of power.

The point is that yes the people vote in Presidents or Prime Ministers, but the people also allow the royal's to stay in place because of public opinion. Therefore their power is also derived from the people.

Then they should run in elections every few years to prove it.

To prove what? Their genetic lineage? And do it every few years to prove they're not an imposter who killed the royal and replaced them?

The divinity aspect is irrelevant now.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-07-2014, 06:12 PM
RE: Why Monarchies have No Moral Legitimacy
(29-07-2014 06:10 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 05:08 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Then they should run in elections every few years to prove it.

To prove what? Their genetic lineage? And do it every few years to prove they're not an imposter who killed the royal and replaced them?

The divinity aspect is irrelevant now.

To prove that people want them as their head of state.
29-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Rather than a focus on method, I'm curious of the results. How is the country fairing? How is public approval? Rather than insist their way is flawed/unjust/immoral/ or unfair, we can respect a different paradigm and see that our way (saying this as an American) is not the only way.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-07-2014, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 06:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-07-2014 06:10 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 05:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We've been down this road here before, as I recall. There's also the fact that the ROI on outlaid cash is higher for the Royal family, (as PR *actors*) in Britain than any Wall Street PR firm gets for their clients per $ invested. It's a huge percentage return. It's a profitable cost center. The Royals are a very profitable PR concern. Monarchy related tourism brings in billions of bucarroos per year. It works. Would I go poke around Royal houses ? Maybe not, but lots of people want to do it.

The idea that monarchies bring in tourism money is bullshit. France, which has a strong republican tradition, is the number one tourist destination in the world. Britan's tourism brought in $17.2bn in 2010, Germany (which is a republic) tourism brings in EUR43.2bn to the national GDP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_...ed_Kingdom

You have demonstrated nothing. People go to various places for various reasons. The total dollars means nothing. The ONLY way to prove what you're saying is to poll tourists and find out why they go where. The Brits KNOW how much money the monarchy related sites, and realted sales bring in, and how much the relative outlay for advertising is for $ brought in. No one is forcing the English to have monarchy related business open. If they were not profitable, or the Brits did not want the monarchy any longer, it would be gone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-07-2014, 06:18 PM
(29-07-2014 06:13 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Rather than a focus on method, I'm curious of the results. How is the country fairing? How is public approval? Rather than insist their way is flawed/unjust/immoral/ or unfair, we can respect a different paradigm and see that our way (saying this as an American) is not the only way.

I live in Canada and here our freedom is quickly disappearing because we cannot elect a President protect our interests. I really envy you Americans because you have a much better system of government. You can elect a leader, say what you want and don't have to bow to anyone simply because they came out of the right pussy. We don't have that.
29-07-2014, 06:19 PM
(29-07-2014 06:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 06:10 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  The idea that monarchies bring in tourism money is bullshit. France, which has a strong republican tradition, is the number one tourist destination in the world. Britan's tourism brought in $17.2bn in 2010, Germany (which is a republic) tourism brings in EUR43.2bn to the national GDP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_...ed_Kingdom

You have demonstrated nothing. People go to various places for various reasons. The total dollars means nothing. The ONLY way to prove what you're saying is to poll tourists and find out why they go where. The Brits KNOW how much maoney the monarchy related sites bring in.

And I happen to KNOW that they don't bring in as much as the Republic related sites in France.
29-07-2014, 06:22 PM
So how is your country fairing? How is public approval?

29-07-2014, 06:25 PM
(29-07-2014 06:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So how is your country fairing? How is public approval?

We have an awful Prime Minister, even worse opposition parties and the government is wracked racked with scandal. And because there are no Presidential elections we have no hope of a leader to get us out of this mess.
29-07-2014, 06:25 PM
(29-07-2014 06:19 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 06:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You have demonstrated nothing. People go to various places for various reasons. The total dollars means nothing. The ONLY way to prove what you're saying is to poll tourists and find out why they go where. The Brits KNOW how much maoney the monarchy related sites bring in.

And I happen to KNOW that they don't bring in as much as the Republic related sites in France.

Prove it.
No one cares if the "bring in as much". That's not the point, (what brings in MORE.) The POINT was, that monarchy related sites are profitable AT ALL, and the monarchy is a successful PR mechanism for the sites that bring in a net profit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Well I mean... War? Prosperity? Hunger? Distribution of wealth? Murder rates? Is there a public outcry for change?