Why Must Gods Be Supernatural?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 09:43 AM
RE: Why Must Gods Be Supernatural?
I've known a professor who has a PhD in Physics. He told me that even how much you studied and discovered things, human knowledge is still limited. The incomprehensible things in islam like buraq (the flying horse that took Mohammed to heaven), heaven and hell is something beyond human knowledge. So that's why he still believes in God and its supernatural powers. I nodded in agreement because I'm still a devoted muslim in theory.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
04-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Because gods are the only beings that can defy the physics and natural laws of the Earth. All gods share this ability. They transcend death, elude gravity, perform magic...all the things that ordinary humans cannot do. It's what separates us from them. The hope among us humans is that, we too, can hang onto the coattails (or the robes, tunics or loincloths) of the gods and ride off into the sunset with them and live eternally ourselves.

In order hitch a ride with the gods though, we have to follow certain specific rules and regulations and if you don't follow the rules your goose is cooked.

So there you have it. The reason gods are supernatural.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Gods can be intelligent species from outer space with higher technological advancement than ours.
04-06-2017, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 10:14 AM by sea_tiger.)
If someday we know that the God exits but his attributes differ from what mankind has assigned to him ,will we reject him as a God?
Would we reject him if he is not the prime mover and does not conform to the description in scriptures?
In some Youtube videoes I have seen some christian theists say that if God is not omnipotent ....etc. then he is not worthy of worship.
04-06-2017, 10:31 AM
(04-06-2017 09:57 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Gods can be intelligent species from outer space with higher technological advancement than ours.

(04-06-2017 09:58 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  If someday we know that the God exits but his attributes differ from what mankind has assigned to him ,will we reject him as a God?
Would we reject him if he is not the prime mover and does not conform to the description in scriptures?
In some Youtube videoes I have seen some christian theists say that if God is not omnipotent ....etc. then he is not worthy of worship.

While most of us here would argue that even a God that conforms to the scriptures isn't worthy of worship, an advanced higher-tech alien certainly would be even less so.
04-06-2017, 10:34 AM
(04-06-2017 09:57 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Gods can be intelligent species from outer space with higher technological advancement than ours.

Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
04-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Gods must be supernatural because we never see them in the natural world. It's a rationalization for where they are -- a whole other plane of existence.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
04-06-2017, 11:16 AM
(04-06-2017 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Because gods are the only beings that can defy the physics and natural laws of the Earth. All gods share this ability. They transcend death, elude gravity, perform magic...all the things that ordinary humans cannot do. [...]

The supernatural has been chased and hunted down by the definition of the natural. It no longer is a thing in itself, but only in relation to the laws of nature. The only thing left of the supernatural is that thing we call magic, being the ability to transcend the laws of nature just by willing it to be so. And there is where Jehovah sits. The god who breathed the world into existence. I suppose you don't have to be supernatural to be a god, but that type of magic is what we associate with the ones we know.
04-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Supernatural: able to do the impossible.

Phooey.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
04-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Why Must Gods Be Supernatural?
Supernatural is a stupid word. Once something is figured out by science it isn't supernatural anymore. It's all natural.

Supernatural = We don't know how the fuck it works so it magic.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post