Why Must Gods Be Supernatural?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: Why Must Gods Be Supernatural?
We are all limited by language. A god can mean a multitude of things depending on who you're talking to and the context. If a god is somehow verifiable scientifically, depending on how you define god, then maybe it's not really a god.

What if our universe is a simulation and god is just a computer programmer who lives in a computer simulation, who lives in a computer simulation, who lives in a computer simulation, etc... (think Russian nesting dolls). Each individual in their perspective universe could view the computer programmer or creator as a god. Does that fall under the definition of supernatural? You could make the argument either way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mrhall1923's post
17-06-2017, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2017 03:47 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-06-2017 11:44 AM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  We are all limited by language. A god can mean a multitude of things depending on who you're talking to and the context. If a god is somehow verifiable scientifically, depending on how you define god, then maybe it's not really a god.

What if our universe is a simulation and god is just a computer programmer who lives in a computer simulation, who lives in a computer simulation, who lives in a computer simulation, etc... (think Russian nesting dolls). Each individual in their perspective universe could view the computer programmer or creator as a god. Does that fall under the definition of supernatural? You could make the argument either way.

For the sake of a common reference, let's look at the film The Matrix.

To those trapped within the simulated reality of the Matrix, the world outside of it is supernatural. There is no way to detect, observe, or otherwise interact with the reality outside of the Matrix purely from inside the Matrix. Leaving the Matrix requires the intervention of those outside of it, be it the machines or the human resistance hackers. So the machines which exist and operate the Matrix on the ruins of human civilization are not deities, but they are effectively supernatural to those who are trapped within the reality of the Matrix itself. The machines who maintain and interact with the simulation may have near deific power to control and modify the simulation, but even they can only bend the rules of their simulation so much. Indeed the only one who is both cognitive of the true nature of reality and the simulation, and able to act upon that knowledge within the simulation itself in order to break the rules as they see fit, is the One (Neo). So it's not so much that the world outside the Matrix proper is a malleable realm of unknowable supernatural detritus, only that it appears that way from the limited perspective of those trapped within the Matrix (indeed, part of the nature of the Matrix itself is to hide it's own existence from those trapped within). Only when an outside actor pierces that reality, and helps you cross that barrier, can you too see and understand the true nature of the reality the Matrix itself inhabits. But crucially, such knowledge is not obtainable within the confines of the Matrix itself. Likewise, no amount of evidence presented within the Matrix would be sufficient to explain it, and even when taken out of the Matrix and presented with the true nature of reality, Neo reacts violently to this information (and it's implied that such reactions can be severe enough to be fatal).

[Image: tm5.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-06-2017, 03:51 AM
Why can't prawns be gods?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-06-2017, 03:57 AM
(17-06-2017 03:51 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Why can't prawns be gods?

Uh, because they're shrimp? Consider

17-06-2017, 04:17 AM

[Image: 33OutForDinner.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-06-2017, 05:32 AM
(17-06-2017 04:17 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  

[Image: 33OutForDinner.jpg]

[Image: jibbers.png?v=1431541184]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-06-2017, 07:35 AM
How do I obtain information about the natural world ?
Natural light interacts with my natural eyes and then nerves relay that information to my brain.
My ears detect sound (moving waves of oscillating air)
My nose detects the presence of different particulates in the air.
My tongue can taste. My skin feel. Etc

I can only detect the natural world. The supernatural is beyond my detection and vice versa.

If you want to place a god in the realm of the supernatural, then his knowledge of the natural world is zero. He can't detect it. By definition, the natural world is separate from the supernatural.

There is no natural information that can be detected in a supernatural realm.

If god is an unknowable entity, then we are just as unknowable to that entity. A god can't know anything about the natural world.

It's beyond his realm. It's unknowable.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-06-2017, 08:06 AM
(04-06-2017 11:44 AM)Mrhall1923 Wrote:  We are all limited by language.

A god can mean a multitude of things depending on who you're talking to and the context. If a god is somehow veriable scientifically, depending on how you define god, then maybe it's not really a god

"we are tied down to a language which makes up in obscurity what it lacks in style" - Tom Stoppard

And, in this case, as in so many others, in substance. Hence igthesim.

Also, whether we are "limited" by language or something else or not, I would think that should have no bearing on a god.

(I don't get the crab meme. Crap! Weeping )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post