Why Not Just Advocate Human Rights?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Why Not Just Advocate Human Rights?
The sudden explosion of feminist views has caused me to ask this question and it has been bothering me for a while now.

Why do so many people feel the need to bash the opposite gender?

No gender is better than the other so why do people feel the need to identify as being in the Machismo or the Feminist camp? Doesn't this just cause more problems than it solves?

Why isn't the call for human rights the answer when confronted with an injustice regarding gender?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 12:46 AM
RE: Why Not Just Advocate Human Rights?
feminism doesn't advocate the supremacy of the female gender, some feminist have taken it that far and given feminism a bad name, but it is about equality. So it is about human rights, a part of them (nobody could ever just go for all of them at the same time).

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
28-07-2013, 12:50 AM
(28-07-2013 12:46 AM)nach_in Wrote:  feminism doesn't advocate the supremacy of the female gender, some feminist have taken it that far and given feminism a bad name, but it is about equality. So it is about human rights, a part of them (nobody could ever just go for all of them at the same time).

Why not just say that based on basic human rights, men and women should be given the same opportunities and be done with it?
28-07-2013, 01:03 AM
(28-07-2013 12:50 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 12:46 AM)nach_in Wrote:  feminism doesn't advocate the supremacy of the female gender, some feminist have taken it that far and given feminism a bad name, but it is about equality. So it is about human rights, a part of them (nobody could ever just go for all of them at the same time).

Why not just say that based on basic human rights, men and women should be given the same opportunities and be done with it?

It's not so easy, you do think that way because many generations of women have been fighting to be considered as equal for more than a century.
Before women were allowed to vote it wasn't that men thought they were the same but they wanted to control women for power or something like that. They actually believed every women was mentally challenged and only served as a baby making machine.

What you say is the ideal situation, but even today women are usually paid less for the same task than men, and a lot of other things that stem from the idea that women are to be used for sex and domination by men.
Not every men think like that of course, and there are many "machist" women. It's hard to change ideas that are so ingrained in the culture for so long...

[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
28-07-2013, 01:28 AM
I will never refer to myself as a feminist. I will always refer myself as a humanist.

You can be a feminist and a misandrynist. You can be a feminist and a racist. Feminism only is one aspect of you, humanist covers feminism and more.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
28-07-2013, 01:35 AM
(28-07-2013 01:28 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I will never refer to myself as a feminist. I will always refer myself as a humanist.

You can be a feminist and a misandrynist. You can be a feminist and a racist. Feminism only is one aspect of you, humanist covers feminism and more.

Exactly how I feel, feminists seem to want men to pander to their needs and curtail their speech in their preferred manner. Remember this fucking fiasco? http://butyoureagirl.com/14015/forking-a...nferences/

This woman actually thought she could monitor these two innocent guys' speech just because SHE didn't like their jokes. Probably one of the highest articles on my bullshit meter that I think I have ever read.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
28-07-2013, 01:36 AM
(28-07-2013 01:28 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I will never refer to myself as a feminist. I will always refer myself as a humanist.

That depends on your definition of humanism. If you're talking about the classical, more restricted version, then some feminists will tell you that it's limited and that it offers a version of binary ethics based on patriarchal values.

As an example: gay marriage would be a humanist approach, give equal rights to everyone. Some feminists would say that regulating marriage by law defines a model of how relationships should be and impose a "right" way of living, which is a patriarchal way of doing things.

I stress SOME feminist, there're a LOT of different theories and waves of feminism, some are even very conservative, to the point of being racist, others are so radical that they're just mysandric anarchists... So take a pick Tongue

28-07-2013, 02:01 AM
(28-07-2013 01:36 AM)nach_in Wrote:  

That depends on your definition of humanism. If you're talking about the classical, more restricted version, then some feminists will tell you that it's limited and that it offers a version of binary ethics based on patriarchal values.

As an example: gay marriage would be a humanist approach, give equal rights to everyone. Some feminists would say that regulating marriage by law defines a model of how relationships should be and impose a "right" way of living, which is a patriarchal way of doing things.

I stress SOME feminist, there're a LOT of different theories and waves of feminism, some are even very conservative, to the point of being racist, others are so radical that they're just mysandric anarchists... So take a pick Tongue

That bolded shit was nonsensical bullshit to me.

My definition of Humanism is that humans deserve equal rights, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any characteristic.

I am for everyone having the right to marriage by the government, or for the government to stay out of marriage altogether.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
28-07-2013, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 02:19 AM by nach_in.)
(28-07-2013 02:01 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 01:36 AM)nach_in Wrote:  That depends on your definition of humanism. If you're talking about the classical, more restricted version, then some feminists will tell you that it's limited and that it offers a version of binary ethics based on patriarchal values.

That bolded shit was nonsensical bullshit to me.

My definition of Humanism is that humans deserve equal rights, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any characteristic.

I am for everyone having the right to marriage by the government, or for the government to stay out of marriage altogether.

Yeah sure, I'm not saying you should call yourself a feminist. I'm just throwing some random ideas that come to my mind... it's 5:15 AM here, so I'm bored Tongue

Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_care
It's a form of ethics that challenges the classical humanist ethics and it's inspired as a response to a study that said that boys developed moral better than women...

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
28-07-2013, 02:29 AM
(28-07-2013 01:36 AM)nach_in Wrote:  

I though marriage was a legal process, so how could there not be laws regulating how that process works?

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]