Why Only Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Big Grin Why Only Christianity?
Why is it that every post I see is about disproving Christianity? Nobbodyon here has ever discussed other valid forms of Theism. For example, what I believe in, an omnipotent being that controls the outcome of quantum events to work his/her/its will on the Universe.

Seems quite a bit more likley than a new Universe forming every time a quantum event orccurs with multiple possibiliteis. (which it always is)

Thoughts?
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
RE: Why Only Christianity?
Not trying to be a jerk but I don't think you have spent any serious amount of time perusing this forum. If you have I apologize but I would think if you had you would know that the people on here have spent countless threads discussing numerous religions and beliefs not just Christianity.
However that being said I am sure the majority of posts would be Christian related as most of this forums active members are most familiar with that one religion in particular.
As for what you believe I'm not entirely sure that it's a whole lot different than any other religious idea of god per se.
I think if there is a god he would be a huge dick and that would indicate that he would want to have multiple universes going all at the same time just to fulfill his entertainment needs.
I would like to hear more about your beliefs if you wouldn't mind writing some more.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 09:57 AM

(03-08-2011 09:11 AM)An_Actual_Theist Wrote:  Why is it that every post I see is about disproving Christianity? Nobbodyon here has ever discussed other valid forms of Theism. For example, what I believe in, an omnipotent being that controls the outcome of quantum events to work his/her/its will on the Universe.

Seems quite a bit more likley than a new Universe forming every time a quantum event orccurs with multiple possibiliteis. (which it always is)

Thoughts?

First of all, the arguments supporting the God of Islam, for example, are just as ridiculous as the arguments supporting the God of Christianity, (which I suppose could be argued as the same God). The reason why I, personally, talk more about Christianity is simply because that's what I'm surrounded by more than anything else, as an American living in the midwest.

Having said that, I think you'll find that most atheists here will be happy to point out why any belief in a god or gods, be it deist, pantheist, or theist is completely absurd and contrary to reality and/or completely unnecessary.

Your belief sounds, at the very least and by the little information you've given, to fit into the latter category as of right now. Completely unnecessary. But like the above poster I'm open to hearing you elaborate.
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
There is a lot about Christianity because, as the world's largest sector of religion, this is the one most TTA members encounter/deal with/ facepalm about daily.
Find all posts by this user
03-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Douchebag mode engaged!
(03-08-2011 09:11 AM)An_Actual_Theist Wrote:  For example, what I believe in, an omnipotent being that controls the outcome of quantum events to work his/her/its will on the Universe.
Try and prove that it exists, then build physical means of worship around it with strong influence into society and/or politics! If not, your deity is nothing more then a hypothesis, mainly harmless and part of your personal freedom.
Douchebag mode disengaged!

Welcome to the forums by the way. I wish you a pleasant and insightful stay. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
(03-08-2011 09:11 AM)An_Actual_Theist Wrote:  Why is it that every post I see is about disproving Christianity? Nobbodyon here has ever discussed other valid forms of Theism.

If it's a valid form, it's probably been discussed. If it has sociopolitical relevance, it has probably been discussed exhaustively.

Quote: For example, what I believe in, an omnipotent being that controls the outcome of quantum events to work his/her/its will on the Universe.

Tell us more and it will probably be discussed.

Quote:Seems quite a bit more likley than a new Universe forming every time a quantum event orccurs with multiple possibiliteis. (which it always is)

Thoughts?

My first thought on this: "Wha...?" is closely followed by "How would we know it had happened? Even how-er would we know that it will/might/must happen [?again]" But i'm willing to discuss it.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Show me evidence for the supernatural. If quantum particles and fields are being manipulated by a supreme force in the universe then it must operate outside of nature. So, if you can demonstrate that supernature exists and that it is influencing the quantum world then you can hypothesize that this supernatural influence has an effect on nature. The next step would be to determine what effects it is having on nature. Ergo, is there any evidence that these quantum influences are evident at all? Is this some response to prayer? If so then there is no evidence to suggest that the success rate of prayer is anything other than random chance?

Also, you would have to demonstrate that this quantum influence is intentional and intelligent. Ergo, demonstrate that it is not just some random occurrence and/or another natural process not yet identified.

As stated by others on this thread, please elaborate more on what you mean.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
A few things, my new friend

Quote:Why is it that every post I see is about disproving Christianity? Nobbodyon here has ever discussed other valid forms of Theism

For starters, I do hope you realize you are in an 'atheist' forum, so expect to find topics disproving religion. A lot of topics are focused on Christianity because many people on this forum were once Christians themselves so therefore most knowledgeable on Christian myths. Also, valid theism? As apposed to what... invalid theism, that makes no sense. As this is your first post it's a little presumptuous to make judgments on the entire forum for the few posts you probably read.

Quote:For example, what I believe in, an omnipotent being that controls the outcome of quantum events to work his/her/its will on the Universe.

That's all fine and dandy... so what exactly is your point? Also, you are not the only 'theist' on this forum, HBAF for instance, is a highly respected 'resident theist'.

Quote:Seems quite a bit more likley than a new Universe forming every time a quantum event orccurs with multiple possibiliteis. (which it always is)

um... what? Is this a personal theory or do you have ANY evidence for that claim? I'm sorry but this last part is absolutely incoherent, it seems as if you threw a couple of big 'sciencey' words together randomly.

Quote:Thoughts?

It takes guts to go somewhere that you know the majority will not agree with you. I also have to say that irrelevant posts and rambling nonsense will generally be ignored. Expect to provide evidence for your conclusions. Lastly, remember, respect is a two way street, gotta give some to get some. Gambatte!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
(03-08-2011 02:52 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  

um... what? Is this a personal theory or do you have ANY evidence for that claim? I'm sorry but this last part is absolutely incoherent, it seems as if you threw a couple of big 'sciencey' words together randomly.

The OP is referring to the a well known but currently untestable theory. Personally I find it rather unattractive. However this does not really scratch my atheism, since what we do know for more or less certain hangs together a lot better than any form of theism - even those accomodating to science like the OP's.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
(03-08-2011 03:32 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  
(03-08-2011 02:52 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  

The OP is referring to the a well known but currently untestable theory. Personally I find it rather unattractive. However this does not really scratch my atheism, since what we do know for more or less certain hangs together a lot better than any form of theism - even those accomodating to science like the OP's.

Now that I look at it, it does seem a little more familiar. This particular multiverse theory just seems a bit...odd to me. Then again I'm not a physicist. Is this a well accepted theory? Because to me it seems a lot like theoretical musing.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]