Why Pascals Wager Fails.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 02:19 AM
Why Pascals Wager Fails.
Even though there have been other videos about this, people have written about it and debunked it time and time again, I wanted to put it into my own words why pascals wager fails as an argument, so I made a video about it lol! Check it out and let me know what you guys think! I quite like it myself and even though I know there is much more that I could had said, I wanted to keep it myself and have it short and to the point.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: Why Pascals Wager Fails.
Whilst I appreciate your interpretation and rebuttal of his wager, I think you're seriously underestimating Blaise Pascal's contributions to mathematics and physics.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-04-2016, 03:19 PM
I agree with SYZ.
Though, I like that you spoke clearly and were able to get what you wanted to say across. It was easy to understand.
15-04-2016, 06:42 PM
To be fair, I did say I didn't know what he did. Even if he did do anything significant, his wager is the only thing most people remember him for and is certainly not a name I ever heard of until his wager was first mentioned to me many years ago. He was never taught in my school or anyone elses that I know of and I never hear of scientists or history documentaries about science ever mention him.

15-04-2016, 08:12 PM
That's a bit hard to take. I knew of Pascal's contributions to science decades before "the Wager". Maybe it was the unit of measure named after him that got me started.
16-04-2016, 12:28 AM
(15-04-2016 08:12 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's a bit hard to take. I knew of Pascal's contributions to science decades before "the Wager". Maybe it was the unit of measure named after him that got me started.

yeah, never heard of it before really. Never had a class that ever said anything about it. I heard of the unit of measurement and that it was named after him, but having something named after you doesn't mean you contributed anything to it. Sorry, but pascal is not a name from any science documentary ( and I seen like a hundred of them) nor any class I took going to school.

16-04-2016, 06:17 AM
(15-04-2016 08:12 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's a bit hard to take. I knew of Pascal's contributions to science decades before "the Wager". Maybe it was the unit of measure named after him that got me started.

Same here. Learning about the wager was a bit surprising given that he was such a prominent thinker in other areas.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
16-04-2016, 10:20 AM
(16-04-2016 12:28 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

yeah, never heard of it before really. Never had a class that ever said anything about it. I heard of the unit of measurement and that it was named after him, but having something named after you doesn't mean you contributed anything to it. Sorry, but pascal is not a name from any science documentary ( and I seen like a hundred of them) nor any class I took going to school.
some of us were around for decades before the internet. He was prominent in our science classes from jr high school on.
Philosophy was not studied much in high school in those days, so the wager would have been obscure at best.
16-04-2016, 04:41 PM
(16-04-2016 06:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Same here. Learning about the wager was a bit surprising given that he was such a prominent thinker in other areas.

Same. When I first heard of Pascal's wager, I asked myself, "Is this the same Pascal the unit was named after?"
16-04-2016, 10:14 PM
(16-04-2016 04:41 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 06:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Same here. Learning about the wager was a bit surprising given that he was such a prominent thinker in other areas.

Same. When I first heard of Pascal's wager, I asked myself, "Is this the same Pascal the unit was named after?"

Yes.

Newton believed in alchemy. Quite a lot of exceptionally intelligent people have been completely wrong about any number of things. This is why you don't take anyone's word at face value, even if that word comes from someone like Einstein.

Who believes in something doesn't matter. What matters is what evidence they have to support that belief.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post