Why Pascals Wager Fails.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Why Pascals Wager Fails.
(16-04-2016 10:14 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 04:41 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Same. When I first heard of Pascal's wager, I asked myself, "Is this the same Pascal the unit was named after?"

Yes.

Newton believed in alchemy. Quite a lot of exceptionally intelligent people have been completely wrong about any number of things. This is why you don't take anyone's word at face value, even if that word comes from someone like Einstein.

Who believes in something doesn't matter. What matters is what evidence they have to support that belief.

Case in point, Einstein disagreed with quantum mechanics until very late in his life. Imagine what good he could have done had he work on the field? How much more could Newton have done if he hadn't wasted time on alchemy, bible codes, and other numerlogical bullshit?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2016, 04:11 AM
To make Pascal's Wager work, you'd have to bet that all god claims are true by default. It would be like going to the Kentucky Derby and betting on all the horses to win equally at the same time, just to be safe. Nobody does that with god claims in reality.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2016, 06:36 AM
(15-04-2016 02:19 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Even though there have been other videos about this, people have written about it and debunked it time and time again, I wanted to put it into my own words why pascals wager fails as an argument, so I made a video about it lol! Check it out and let me know what you guys think! I quite like it myself and even though I know there is much more that I could had said, I wanted to keep it myself and have it short and to the point.

Pascal's Wager, perhaps one of the most abused and misunderstood arguments for theism.

https://leesomniac.wordpress.com/2012/10...-argument/

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Pascal in own words, prefacing the wager himself:

"The conduct of God, who disposes all things kindly, is to put religion into the mind by reason, and into the heart by grace. But to will to put it into the mind and heart by force and threats is not to put religion there, but terror; terorrem potius quam religion."

So those who interpret the wager as suggesting one should believe in God for fear of believing the alternative, seem to have misunderstood something along the way.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-04-2016, 07:02 AM
(17-04-2016 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 02:19 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Even though there have been other videos about this, people have written about it and debunked it time and time again, I wanted to put it into my own words why pascals wager fails as an argument, so I made a video about it lol! Check it out and let me know what you guys think! I quite like it myself and even though I know there is much more that I could had said, I wanted to keep it myself and have it short and to the point.

Pascal's Wager, perhaps one of the most abused and misunderstood arguments for theism.

Well lets be inclusive of all religions in our skepticism. We like to think of the religions of Asia and the Orient such as Jainism and Buddhism and Taoism as being lagit, but I don't even give those a pass. They are not simply philosophies and those too are rooted in myth and superstition. I think that is a perception of those religions that far too many in the west get wrong.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2016, 08:51 AM
(15-04-2016 08:12 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's a bit hard to take. I knew of Pascal's contributions to science decades before "the Wager". Maybe it was the unit of measure named after him that got me started.

OK so tell us how long is a pascal in measurement.
17-04-2016, 09:06 AM
It is a unit measuring stress or pressure. It is an SI standard unit, and no, I did not google this Smile
I think it is kilograms per square meter. Did I recall right?
17-04-2016, 01:02 PM
(17-04-2016 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Nope. Still the same wager. Still worthless. Given the natural propensity for life to either shit on or reward those who get to play the game with no known bias, even supposing a douchebag of a god exists, you are in no way better off believing than not.

Unless you count how you're treated while alive by the douchebags that think their douchebag god really exists.Then I suppose you could make a mathematically correct prediction that your life would be easier if you pretend to know things that somebody else made up a long time ago but are just silly stories that don't have any bearing on reality, simply because haters gonna hate...douchebags gonna douche.

Still doesn't mean anything in the end. I dare you to prove otherwise.

Forgive me, my back hurts and I'm grumpy. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-04-2016, 03:46 PM
(17-04-2016 06:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Pascal in own words, prefacing the wager himself:

"The conduct of God, who disposes all things kindly, is to put religion into the mind by reason, and into the heart by grace. But to will to put it into the mind and heart by force and threats is not to put religion there, but terror; terorrem potius quam religion."

So those who interpret the wager as suggesting one should believe in God for fear of believing the alternative, seem to have misunderstood something along the way.

And yet, Pascal and his faith-based wager are still bullshit and the criticism levied herein, still valid.

It's almost as if theists fail to see the stupidity of their own beliefs whole simply wagering that those who don't buy their ignorance, must be wrong Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick