Why People Want To Believe That There Is A God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Why People Want To Believe That There Is A God.
(15-06-2013 11:49 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(15-06-2013 11:26 AM)Impulse Wrote:  First, welcome to the forum. Smile

Regarding the excerpt, honestly I think it's too simple. I agree everyone comes into the world with the perception that they are the center of the "universe", but I don't agree with " ruled by a just and particular god". I put "universe" in quotes because to an infant that simply means "all that there is" while they have no real concept of the actual universe in the way they eventually will learn. For the god part, they have no concept of that at all. That's something they learn from those around them and exactly which god they learn about depends on where and in what family they are born.

I think the reasons people want to believe in god comes from a variety of sources including, but not limited to emotional needs, fear of death, wanting a concrete answer to life's meaning, a source of hope in any situation where that's needed, and simply because it's the way it always has been for them. By that last one, I mean people are taught about a god or gods from their social contexts and accept this on the authority of those who teach them about it. Their lives are built around that and, later, when they are old enough to think for themselves, it's far easier not to rock the boat within themselves or within their social surroundings. So they don't really want to know anymore that what they were told is just nonsense. They would rather keep believing (or convincing themselves that the do).

In this case I feel that Occum's Razor is appropriate. All that you mentioned is in the passage.
I don't agree about the application of Occam's Razor in this case, but it's not worth arguing about.

I don't see much of what I said in the passage either. The main points in the passage seem to be that people turn to "god" to face the realization that we are not the center of the universe and also to satisfy the desire for something better than what we see each day. What I had said places little emphasis on the center of the universe aspect and includes, but is more than, desiring something better.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: Why People Want To Believe That There Is A God.
I think that fear and the need to control others created the first gods.
[+] 2 users Like Flowergurl's post
15-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Re: RE: Why People Want To Believe That There Is A God.
(15-06-2013 05:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't agree about the application of Occam's Razor in this case, but it's not worth arguing about.

Fine by me.

Quote:I don't see much of what I said in the passage either. The main points in the passage seem to be that people turn to "god" to face the realization that we are not the center of the universe and also to satisfy the desire for something better than what we see each day. What I had said places little emphasis on the center of the universe aspect and includes, but is more than, desiring something better.

Again, you are getting hungup on the term universe (Small u). If you like to make things more complex than they truly are that's fine with me as well. It's a free Universe. Heart It's in our biology to see patterns even when there are none.

Sent From My NEO x5....