Why Prayers Aren't Answered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2017, 04:40 PM
RE: Why Prayers Aren't Answered
(16-05-2017 04:21 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 04:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually that's not true.
It's "prays for one", not "prayers for one".
Rome doesn't require answered prayers for canonization.
They require miracles, not answered prayers. The number of them has changed recently. Sometimes things don't work out too well, and the miracle cure ain't really what they thought.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-paul-ii...rutinized/

I was aware of that one in a general way because it involved a Pope. Not sure what the article is saying. You have to wait until she dies in case the illness returns? She may have has ALS or something but not Parkinsons? The article does say the cure was complete and instantaneous. Seven years ago too. Any update?

You said Rome checks carefully for answered prayers. They don't. They look for miracles. That's what the article is talking about. At least one of the miracles used for JPII was bogus. SHe didn't even have the disease she was said to be cured of.
There is no remission of ALS, (to that extent). http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ent-popes/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2017, 04:46 PM
(16-05-2017 04:47 AM)ColdComfort Wrote:  No honest person would say the NT, or Christian belief in general, says God will answer any prayer of petition.

(16-05-2017 02:44 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  The first time I heard the idea that God promises to give you anything that you pray for was on an atheist website a few years ago. I have never heard any Christian of any denominational say so.

How did we get from any honest person to any xian of any denomination?

Quote: If there is some wacked out Christian you can dig up who says something like this I will tell them the same thing. It's wrong.

In your opinion based on your interpretation. They can cherry-pick verses just like you do with just as much authority.

(16-05-2017 03:48 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  I've never heard an evangelical say God will give you anything you ask for.

Now we've gone from any honest person to any xian to any evangelical. Keep going, we'll be down you just you soon.

(16-05-2017 04:11 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  Why is everything but the kitchen sink being thrown at me?

Because you're making claims without backing them up and then continually weaseling away from them.

Quote:I said the Bible or any other source of Christian faith does not say 'God will give you anything you ask for'. Now you're asking me why God doesn't communicate on CNN.

And you've been provided quotes from the bible that contradict that claim which you apparently just dismiss because they don't match your particular interpretation. The dishonesty is palpable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
16-05-2017, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 05:44 PM by Vera.)
(16-05-2017 02:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  So how about every kid who's every prayed for Mommy to get better, only for her to die? I guess God knows best huh
Possibly not, my dear moron, but at least she gets a pair of brand new shoes for when she meets Jesus. Who would've thunk that he had a shoe fetish and such a painfully unoriginal one at that - red stilettoes

Hucking fell, typing on a tablet is the ducking worst!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-05-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 05:32 PM by TheInquisition.)
(16-05-2017 04:26 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 04:21 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Opinions are like assholes and all that. Drinking Beverage

Show me evidence of these millions. Admittedly I don't move in evangelical circles but if what you say is true you must be able to show some evidence. They would still be wrong likely relying on the cherry picking I see here.

Evangelical Protestants by state

Evangelical Protestants comprise 25.4% of all religious groups in the United States, Catholicism comes in 2nd at 20.8%.

The state of Texas alone has a population of 31% Evangelical Christians which puts the number of evangelicals just in Texas at 8.5 million.

Maybe you should figure out how to stop playing dishonest, evasive games when the facts aren't on your side.

-1 for your dishonesty.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-05-2017, 05:46 PM
If Jesus says he'll do anything, in order that the Father is glorified, how is taking him at his word, "cherry-picking" ? You don't believe he said that apparently. The Evangelist John apparently did.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-05-2017, 06:29 PM
(16-05-2017 05:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 02:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  So how about every kid who's every prayed for Mommy to get better, only for her to die? I guess God knows best huh
Possibly not, my dear moron, but at least she gets a pair of brand new shoes for when she meets Jesus. Who would've thunk that he had a shoe fetish and such a painfully unoriginal one at that - red stilettoes

Hucking fell, typing on a tablet is the ducking worst!

Only commenting in this thread to say, I hate this damn song (and the movie and the book) so very much. Angry Anyhow, going back to lurking and watch the atheists take Jesus at his word while the theist doesn't.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
16-05-2017, 06:33 PM
(16-05-2017 04:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 04:21 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  I was aware of that one in a general way because it involved a Pope. Not sure what the article is saying. You have to wait until she dies in case the illness returns? She may have has ALS or something but not Parkinsons? The article does say the cure was complete and instantaneous. Seven years ago too. Any update?

You said Rome checks carefully for answered prayers. They don't. They look for miracles. That's what the article is talking about. At least one of the miracles used for JPII was bogus. SHe didn't even have the disease she was said to be cured of.
There is no remission of ALS, (to that extent). http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ent-popes/
I don't believe that article. The remission story doesn't seem to be true or at least I couldn't find any source for it. And she did seem to have Parkinsons.

The latest statement from the nun herself I could find is 2014.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/mi...-1.1769668

http://www.thedivinemercy.org/news/My-Mi...-Cure-4917

I know nothing about the woman in S. America. It is a miracle due to the intercession of the candidate for sainthood. What is your point here?

In all such cases to make a judgement you would have to know a great deal more than I do by googling some articles including having medical knowledge. Your claim that the extraordinary cure of this nun, which was overnight, is bogus seems far-fetched. Unless she's lying too I suppose.

I am quite trusting in the Church's investigation of these things. Far more trusting than most institutions. Sure there is room for skepticism. Maybe her Parkinsons was cured overnight by purely physical causes which doctors don't understand and have never seen before. You're welcome to your views.

I was asked a question and I answered it.
16-05-2017, 06:51 PM
(16-05-2017 05:28 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 04:26 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  Show me evidence of these millions. Admittedly I don't move in evangelical circles but if what you say is true you must be able to show some evidence. They would still be wrong likely relying on the cherry picking I see here.

Evangelical Protestants by state

Evangelical Protestants comprise 25.4% of all religious groups in the United States, Catholicism comes in 2nd at 20.8%.

The state of Texas alone has a population of 31% Evangelical Christians which puts the number of evangelicals just in Texas at 8.5 million.

Maybe you should figure out how to stop playing dishonest, evasive games when the facts aren't on your side.

-1 for your dishonesty.

This is idiocy. I ask you for evidence of what evangelicals believe and you give me the number of evangelicals in Texas. And then accuse me of dishonesty!

This nonsense is a strawman argument to set up an "argument" that Christianity must be false. Nothing in the Bible says God will give me a million bucks if I ask for it. Or give my wife cancer because I want to marry my secretary.
16-05-2017, 06:54 PM
(16-05-2017 06:33 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  I am quite trusting in the Church's investigation of these things. Far more trusting than most institutions.

Probably as trusting as an alter boy. Rolleyes

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
16-05-2017, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 07:01 PM by TheInquisition.)
(16-05-2017 06:51 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 05:28 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Evangelical Protestants by state

-1 for your dishonesty.

This is idiocy. I ask you for evidence of what evangelicals believe and you give me the number of evangelicals in Texas. And then accuse me of dishonesty!

This nonsense is a strawman argument to set up an "argument" that Christianity must be false. Nothing in the Bible says God will give me a million bucks if I ask for it. Or give my wife cancer because I want to marry my secretary.

(16-05-2017 04:26 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  Show me evidence of these millions. Admittedly I don't move in evangelical circles but if what you say is true you must be able to show some evidence.

Let's quote that again in case you missed it:

(16-05-2017 04:26 PM)ColdComfort Wrote:  Show me evidence of these millions. Admittedly I don't move in evangelical circles but if what you say is true you must be able to show some evidence.

This time in big red letters. You asked for evidence and were shown evidence. Now you're just being an evasive Catholic liar for Jesus.

Oh BTW- 24.5% of the United States population would be over 73 million evangelicals.

[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post