Why Religion Will Die (as it should)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 08:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Why Religion Will Die (as it should)
(21-07-2015 03:53 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  I have feeling that most users on this forum haven't yet realized their mortality.

You would be wrong. Now go back into the corner and curl up in the fetal position and resume whimpering "we all gonna die. woe is me. we all gonna die. woe is me. alas! we all gonna die." Fucking pussy.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-07-2015, 07:32 AM
(21-07-2015 03:53 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  I have feeling that most users on this forum haven't yet realized their mortality.
Also jews were literate for hundreds if not thousands years and Judaism is doing well.

I have a feeling that many users on this forum have had rather close encounters with mortality. My entire family has died of cancer within the last 8 years, including both of my brothers dying at about the same age as my current age. I am definitely aware of my mortality. So you can fuck right off.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Religion will not die because we have the capacity to feel fear, a very strong human emotion. It is interesting that you mentioned government and religion. You might be making a distinction between Christianity (government sponsored in the past) and Modern “Science” (government sponsored in the present).

Fear is one common denominator, and I think it is much more important to today’s “science”. For 60 years, fear of animal fat has led to increases in obesity and Type 2 diabetes (even in children), followed by the worsening of other maladies (irritable bowel, acid reflux, fibromyalgia, etc.). Modern priests (nutrition “scientists” in academics and government) have made a killing. And I suspect they will retire a lot better off than 95% of this site’s membership.

What is both funny and sad is the diversion of hundreds of billions of dollars into the “healthcare” system, the agriculture industry and, most importantly, the pharmaceutical industry to treat the negative effects of this modern religion. There is no corporate hegemony here.

But this secular (atheist?) religion barely receives a shoulder shrug from those who are the most vocal about the illiterates, like my wife, who continue to go to Mass and pray to Jesus.
22-07-2015, 10:20 AM
(22-07-2015 07:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
Also jews were literate for hundreds if not thousands years and Judaism is doing well.

I have a feeling that many users on this forum have had rather close encounters with mortality. My entire family has died of cancer within the last 8 years, including both of my brothers dying at about the same age as my current age. I am definitely aware of my mortality. So you can fuck right off.

Hear hear!

I've dealth with autoimmune disease and cancer, a high-speed motorcycle crash, and a plane crash (well, a very rough landing in a field, but death seemed really imminent when the engine quit over a large forest; we only barely managed to make the field, my flight instructor and I). I've watched friends die through my work with an HIV/AIDS activist organization, I've watched friends die of cancer. I've seen a friend boot-stomped nearly to death right in front of me, and several others actually killed, in my time in prison, and faced the possibility of random death due to some psychopath thinking I said "hi" in the wrong way on the wrong day. I've had two different friends killed in motorcycle crashes.

I'm pretty familiar with death. Still an atheist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-07-2015, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 05:49 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
Why Religion Will Die (as it should)
I've always thought with the Internet the world will become more knowledgable all around. People are no longer sheltered and can freely see the others side's arguments. We can fact check everything instantly. Logic should prevail as the zeitgeist evolves. I can't think of reason why it wouldn't in the long run.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
22-07-2015, 06:34 PM
(22-07-2015 10:20 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 07:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have a feeling that many users on this forum have had rather close encounters with mortality. My entire family has died of cancer within the last 8 years, including both of my brothers dying at about the same age as my current age. I am definitely aware of my mortality. So you can fuck right off.

Hear hear!

I've dealth with autoimmune disease and cancer, a high-speed motorcycle crash, and a plane crash (well, a very rough landing in a field, but death seemed really imminent when the engine quit over a large forest; we only barely managed to make the field, my flight instructor and I). I've watched friends die through my work with an HIV/AIDS activist organization, I've watched friends die of cancer. I've seen a friend boot-stomped nearly to death right in front of me, and several others actually killed, in my time in prison, and faced the possibility of random death due to some psychopath thinking I said "hi" in the wrong way on the wrong day. I've had two different friends killed in motorcycle crashes.

I'm pretty familiar with death. Still an atheist.

Holy shit! Ever thought about making your life into a movie.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-07-2015, 06:37 PM
(22-07-2015 05:45 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I've always thought with the Internet the world will become more knowledgable all around. People are no longer sheltered and can freely see the others side's arguments. We can fact check everything instantly. Logic should prevail as the zeitgeist evolves. I can't think of reason why it wouldn't in the long run.

Meh, I spend hours on the internet everyday, and go on this site almost as often. I'm still a Catholic and even more so now then I was When I first came on this site. There are plenty of educated Christians out there. So I doubt religion will die, just diminish.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
22-07-2015, 08:07 PM
(22-07-2015 06:34 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Holy shit! Ever thought about making your life into a movie.

Bah! Nothing special about my life, and what is special is so depressing... I don't want an audience full of people who want to kill themselves! Tongue

Besides, I'm still down in the thousands below the ranks of those with lives interesting enough to make a movie about. The life of the Most Interesting Man in the World™, the actual guy, is more interesting than my own.

I'm just a dude who likes to explore his environment, loves and used to work in the field of science, loves motorcycles/planes/boats, and has been to prison for almost a decade.

Might make an okay autobiography, someday. But nobody wants to read a 39 year old's autobiography! Ha!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-07-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't think religion will ever die out. The appeal to sentiment is timeless for a reason.