Why "Scriptures" are considered "Holy"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Why "Scriptures" are considered "Holy"
(31-01-2015 04:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 04:31 PM)Free Wrote:  British, actually. Canadian.

Tongue

You forget that the Americas are continents, not purely nations, good sir. Those of Canadian background are still of the colonies of the Americas.

Yes, but who would ever take an Antipodean's opinion seriously?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 05:26 PM
(31-01-2015 04:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 04:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You forget that the Americas are continents, not purely nations, good sir. Those of Canadian background are still of the colonies of the Americas.

Yes, but who would ever take an Antipodean's opinion seriously?

But of course, a horde of criminals sent to Van Diemen's land.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
The scriptures are holy because of the many years of poking holes in them(an exceedingly easy task). I'm surprised there's anything left..
01-02-2015, 09:20 AM
This is a big problem for the Mormons, and why their indoctrination has to be more cultish. Hilarious when Christians point out hiw ridiculous the BOM is, while most aren't even aware they believe in the talking donkey.
01-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Scriptures are as holy as any mythological work of art. Anything, literally anything can be holy, as long as someone down in history figured it would be a good source for a religion.

If I wrote a book saying that I am god, I as much legitimacy as people who once declared the bible as holy

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Because of the plot holes? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2015, 01:31 PM
(01-02-2015 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  Because of the plot holes? Consider

Hole-E bible

jebus was resurrected in a cave which is basically a giant hole in a ground/rock/mountain
02-02-2015, 06:39 AM
(31-01-2015 03:06 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I mean, his halitosis was so bad that when he breathed on dirt it made humans: it was so bad it forced dirt to stop being dirt.

His breath was so bad, it turned part of the planet (dirt) into something that would gradually destroy the planet.

He should really get that looked at. Maybe he's stuck with it, because it's "part of his nature".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-02-2015, 01:15 PM
(31-01-2015 01:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Is there such a things as unholy scripture ? What does "holy" mean ?

When Timothy said that all scripture was "god-breathed" there was no canon yet, and some of it hadn't been written yet. So what was he even referring to ?

This is a question I want so badly to ask the many theists I know, but since I'm not "out" yet, I refrain. But I do find it very amusing that christian theists lean on this verse, but the thought that it preceded at least some of what's in the New Testament never occurs to them. They also miss the fact that this equates to "the Bible is inerrant because it says so." If that's all it takes, then I'm the most handsome man on the planet. I know I am, because I said so.
02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Quote:So - why do people hold that stories in a book - however far fetched - are true?

Because some guy with a funny hat

[Image: e30de087f605d54f78c18a0bd2be3fb1.jpg]

told them they were true. Of course, which holy book is true depends on the hat.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post