03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Why String Theory is wrong
http://soi.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-stri...wrong.html

Any comments?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 02:32 PM

RE: Why String Theory is wrong
Sorry that no has commented on this, I just don't think that any of us here have the math credentials to debate this (at least I don't). May I just ask as to what your profession is? Are you a mathematician/physicist as well?

I do believe that the issue has to deal with the limit of a function, and that a sum of an infinite series can be a finite number because this sum is defined as the limit of the function that we are summing. It is kind of like the asymptotes on a graph. The function approaches these asymptotes, and theoretically would reach these asymptotes at a value of infinity, and thus the limit of the function is this asymptote.

Of course, I could be getting it completely wrong.
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Sorry, never had a big interest in string theory actually, the idea really turned me off, either because I couldn't understand it, or because it doesn't make sense. I tried learning about it and really couldn't get the concept.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
I tried watching a series of videos about string theory from youtube (the elegant universe) once, but I couldn't stand the annoying visual effects and the repeating repeating and got sick of the whole thing.
I'll try to get into the string theory someday, but right now my interests are far from it.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 01:42 PM by zaybu.)
(05-01-2011 02:32 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Sorry that no has commented on this, I just don't think that any of us here have the math credentials to debate this (at least I don't). May I just ask as to what your profession is? Are you a mathematician/physicist as well?

I do believe that the issue has to deal with the limit of a function, and that a sum of an infinite series can be a finite number because this sum is defined as the limit of the function that we are summing. It is kind of like the asymptotes on a graph. The function approaches these asymptotes, and theoretically would reach these asymptotes at a value of infinity, and thus the limit of the function is this asymptote.

Of course, I could be getting it completely wrong.
Ok, some refresher:

The zeta function is given by ζ(s) = Σ 1/n[sup]s[/sup]. For s >0, you can see that the function will converge except for s =1, where you get the harmonic series, which diverges. The problem is to extend it it in the complex plane for s < 0.

The zeta function has been evaluated when s < 0. Here's some value of it.

ζ (-1) = 1 +2+3+... = -1/12
ζ(-3) = 1[sup]3[/sup]+ 2[sup]3[/sup]+ 3[sup]3[/sup]+... = 1/120
ζ(-5) = 1[sup]5[/sup]+ 2[sup]5[/sup]+ 3[sup]5[/sup]+... = -1/252

To get those values, one can use for ζ(-s):

Γ(s/2)Π[sup]-s/2[/sup]ζ(s) = Γ((1-s)/2) Π [sup](s-1)/2[/sup]ζ(1-s)

So if we let s = -1

ζ(-1)= 2[sup]-1[/sup] π [sup]-2[/sup]sin(-π/2) ζ(2)Γ(2)
ζ(-1)= (1/2) (1/π [sup]2[/sup])(-1) (π [sup]2[/sup]/6)(1) = -1/12

This gives ζ (-1) = Σ 1/n[sup]-1[/sup] = Σ n = 1 + 2 + 3 +... = -1/12

Though this is correct mathematically, in the real world, it doesn't make sense. So what I'm trying to do is to investigate it in order to see if it is used approriately, respecting all the conditions it might have. There's a slew of theorems that back this formula, and perhaps that formula is not right for real numbers. That's what I'm hoping for.
06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Good luck, I'm still hopelessly lost >.<
06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Although there are some smart folks on this thread, some with varying degrees of knowledge in particle physics, integral calculus, etc...

...this is a very specific question. You would have to understand string theory enough to go beyond understanding it and into disproving it, which isn't something one can do from simply reading a few books from Barnes and Noble.

So GL with your efforts, but you'd be better off trying a math/physics specific forum.

Unless of course you just copy/pasted to try and make yourself look smart... in which case, Bravo.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
This really does kind of feel like showing off here. Either that or you are VERY naive. To think that there are enough people on an atheist forum (instead of a math forum) to make this a discussion at all, just seems very dishonest. Are you trying to prove something? Am I being a total dick, and there are people here who DO understand this kind of advanced math?

Just visiting.

-SR
07-01-2011, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011 06:10 AM by ebilekittae.)
(06-01-2011 10:57 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This really does kind of feel like showing off here. Either that or you are VERY naive. To think that there are enough people on an atheist forum (instead of a math forum) to make this a discussion at all, just seems very dishonest. Are you trying to prove something? Am I being a total dick, and there are people here who DO understand this kind of advanced math?

Believe it or not, I actually understand the math up until the sin(-π/2) comes around, but I do distinctly remember learning that in class, I've just forgotten. Of course I have no idea how the math applies in any real-world application (I don't know the first thing about what the string theory even is Tongue), but I think I understand enough to doubt that he's just here for forced intellectual masturbation voyeurism. Tongue

Just to reiterate, though, having taken absolutely no classes in physics or anything, just calculus, I still don't understand how this kind of math connects to the real world. Just giving him the shadow of a doubt for the math at least. Smile

EDIT: Trying to make the connection, but this symbol is throwing me off: Π. Is that a strange Pi? Or is it the lower limit of an integral? Or something completely different?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all of your insights. Here's my last comment on this:

http://soi.blogspot.com/2011/01/whats-wr...atics.html