Why String Theory is wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2011, 08:56 PM
RE: Why String Theory is wrong
My high school maths teacher, Dr Lovel, said "I wouldn't bother with string theory, it's much easier to not have your head explode and scatter your brains around my classroom."

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
That might be because he doesn't want to clean up the mess. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Loop quantum gravity vs string theory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSmJCKaaC0

and further :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTxoM5QvruY
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
(09-01-2011 08:18 AM)meh Wrote:  Loop quantum gravity vs string theory

Does this mean that E=MC if you are square? Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Sorry none of us are more educated in this field. I majored in music in college just to avoid doing math.
14-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Gosh, I remember some of this, but I haven't used it since I had to take the classes. Of course, this is math, how often do we use imaginary numbers in the real world?

I always found this stuff to be interesting, how the math works on the smallest scales to a point where it becomes so foreign and counter-intuitive. It's a whole different dimension and I don't think our brains are capable processing all of it at once, lol. Perhaps if we didn't have so many anti-intellectual religious movements in the past 6,000 years or so we would have now evolved to a level where we could use enough of our brains to makes sense of all of this.
15-02-2011, 01:47 PM
(09-01-2011 07:05 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(09-01-2011 08:18 AM)meh Wrote:  Loop quantum gravity vs string theory

Does this mean that E=MC if you are square? Tongue

No it means that you are watching the most hilarious series ever Wink

"I tried watching a series of videos about string theory from youtube (the elegant universe) "

I didn't know it was a youtube series, but there is a book with the same title from Brian Greene. Worths reading if you really want to understand string theory as a non-physicist.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
15-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:I didn't know it was a youtube series, but there is a book with the same title from Brian Greene. Worths reading if you really want to understand string theory as a non-physicist.
I hope the book doesn't repeat itself and doesn't have cheesy pictures in it. I'll check it out some time, thanks.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-02-2011, 08:16 PM

The math is valid... Euler did not make a mistake. It just turns out that using analytic continuum yields a different answer (if you want to know why, take high level math).

Additionally, the zeta sum of -1 has been corroborated by the Ramanujan sum.

Edit:

I guess I could explain it like this. Infinity isn't a number, and can't be evaluated like numbers or variables. 1/n^-1 = (1/n)^-1 right? (It's right). But since n is a variable, you can flip it up over and all is dandy. But try the lim n -> inf of (1/n)^-1. You'll get 0^-1, which would simplify to 1/0. And we all know that this is undefined.

That's the gist of why the sum of n diverges, while the zeta function of -1 converges. You cannot evaluate the zeta function at -1 with elementary math. The guy that wrote the blog made a common algebraic mistake. Certain algebraic maneuvers require you to check that you did not divide by zero (like if you divide by x-3, you cannot use x = 3 as an answer). In this case, he flipped up the n then plugged in infinity^1 and said, "Look, it equals infinity!" But this is not the case.

TL;DR: Don't divide by zero.