Why TTA Forum is Awesome

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
RE: Why TTA Forum is Awesome
Hate to post this here, but Spectre sent me a PM and I cannot send him one, as his private messaging is disabled. He wanted to know the post that Ron made about our rules(I'm not trying to incite anger, honest), so I'll just post it here and hope that he sees.

It was in passing, but in this post, towards the end.
Ron Wrote:Having been there, and read the forum rules, I now understand why you think there is no reason for facts, or forum rules as well; as they really have none there. That being said; there are rules and standards here. Without such, maintaining truth would be as difficult as attempting to measure a writhing alligator with a fixed yard rule. I further submit that you are here, and not there… Therefore you will adhere to the forum rules (you agreed to and accepted when signing on here) established here.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Okay thanks, I must have missed that one. As Creationists forums. Many Creationists forums do often use some sort of censorship. While there are indeed reasonable atheists out there, the ones that are very adamant about debating Creation can get quite rude very fast. And when a Creationist page is made in a place such as facebook it doesn't take long for there to be over 10 atheist trolls there. Again, not implying that every atheist is a troll, but a lot of the ones that actively seek to argue are the trolls. I do have atheists friends and they do tend to be very passive and only lack a belief in God. I just wanted to make that distinction. I guess I need to enable private messaging, I didn't even know it was disabled.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
(04-06-2011 09:18 AM)Spectre Wrote:  Okay thanks, I must have missed that one. As Creationists forums. Many Creationists forums do often use some sort of censorship. While there are indeed reasonable atheists out there, the ones that are very adamant about debating Creation can get quite rude very fast. And when a Creationist page is made in a place such as facebook it doesn't take long for there to be over 10 atheist trolls there. Again, not implying that every atheist is a troll, but a lot of the ones that actively seek to argue are the trolls. I do have atheists friends and they do tend to be very passive and only lack a belief in God. I just wanted to make that distinction. I guess I need to enable private messaging, I didn't even know it was disabled.

The only reason I go to Creationists and argue is to remind them how ignorant their arguments are and why their views should NEVER be viewed as an Science. Creationists remind me of Ancient Alien theorists.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
(04-06-2011 09:18 AM)Spectre Wrote:  Okay thanks, I must have missed that one. As Creationists forums. Many Creationists forums do often use some sort of censorship. While there are indeed reasonable atheists out there, the ones that are very adamant about debating Creation can get quite rude very fast. And when a Creationist page is made in a place such as facebook it doesn't take long for there to be over 10 atheist trolls there. Again, not implying that every atheist is a troll, but a lot of the ones that actively seek to argue are the trolls. I do have atheists friends and they do tend to be very passive and only lack a belief in God. I just wanted to make that distinction. I guess I need to enable private messaging, I didn't even know it was disabled.

The thing is, I'm not looking for Creationists in particular, just Christians. In fact, I'd rather have a discussion with non-creationist Christians because I want to stay away from topics of evolution and natural selection. I just want to learn more about Christianity from believers because I personally find it to be the least believable of the three monotheistic religions. I am not looking for a debate because I am not seeking to change others' minds; I am looking to expand my own knowledge. Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
28-06-2011, 01:38 PM
This place is pretty good. Glad it's here.

On the sub topic of having atheist trolls stomping on their collective chests on creationist forum or facebook page I know nothing, I don't do that. The reason why I don't do that is because every time I or anyone I know who isn't religious makes any statement that could be taken as anti-theistic or even just a statement that would normally be said with a praise jesus on the end of it, we get flamed by people who claim to be self righteous christians that don't even go to church most of the time. Every time. So I know how annoying it is.
To be honest outside of youtube I've yet to see this happen the other way around. I'd count youtube... but have you read the comments section? It's rare when I don't cringe.
Doesn't matter what side is talking, it's embarrassing. I want a study done.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-06-2011, 07:31 AM
There are trolls of every kind it's what keeps the internet working =p

The issue for us though is that while there are atheist trolls there aren't as many atheists who just turn from rational normal person to troll every time religion is brought up. Many many christians get excessively offensive the moment you say you don't believe. There's a huge difference between christian trolls and moderate christians, but as they are the majority moderate christians get aggressive more often generally.

On a side note the last person I've had to block on facebook was an anti-theist. She was so hard lined on everything that we just sat there arguing all the time. The main thing to remember when deciding these sorts of things is that there are a lot of people in the world you're not going to agree with. It's generally about something besides their view, it just gets hard to discern when a lot of people with similar mindsets attach themselves to the same stance.

By the way Cgeek, have you looked into the possibility of limiting who can post links and pictures? If you could set up a way that new members can only type, then you could more easily weed out the bad eggs without having such a harsh restriction. That way it's not what they believe that restricts them, but instead they have a trial period to prove that they are going to be a welcome member to your forum.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2012, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 05:19 AM by Geode.)
(23-05-2011 03:59 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I think it says a lot about a group of people that doesn't need moderation from higher ups. Ron made a post on the EvolutionFairytale forum sneering at our lax rules, but I always saw the lack of need for strict rules as a good thing. I think it largely stems from when there was no mods(I've always found it fitting when there was no higher power on the atheist forum) and so there was no way to enforce rules.

It wouldn't be so bad at that forum if they actually fairly administered their rules, which are in fact very strict.

The problem with the site that Ron is from, as an admin., is that the mods and admins. are a complete power unto themselves and probably break the rules of their forum more commonly than just about any user. When their arguments fall flat they ban the person besting them. Then many gloat over the ban as if it is further validation that they are right and evolution is wrong.

There is a hard and fast rule that nobody can question the actions of the admins. That sets up a totalitarian world where they essentially declare themselves as a sort of god. I think for some it is a power trip, the only time in their lives that they ever had control over others and they relish it. They need no real reason to ban somebody (no need to have an actual violation of the rules), but when pressed after banning somebody that was completely civil and adhering to the rules they make a case for "equivocation" or "wasting time" both subjectively applied to an extreme.

I recently saw two atheists who posted rather forcefully but made valid points with each post, and as far as I could tell stayed within the rules. They were both gone within about a day or two of joining. The owner of the site entered the scene after one was banned, with an "ev-babbler alert"...and others came in laughing, saying that it always "cracked them up" to see this. It was very sad, for what it really showed was how closed-minded almost anybody left standing there really in fact is...

The other claimed that anybody thinking non-YEC got banned. I was used as an example of how this was not true, after being on the board for years and having made over 600 posts. I was banned a few hours later....it will be hard for anybody to find an example to take my place that has been there for any time at all and taken non-YEC positions. Near the end I has being treated to ad homs (totally ignored by the admins.) when discussion topics where the YEC doing battle (they see this as a war) with me ran out of anything to say.

The first part of their rules section reads:

Quote:The primary goal of this forum is to provide a place for honest, educational, civil, and fun debate on the topic of origins. Given the heated nature of the creation vs. evolution debate, this is not an easy goal to achieve so we will require members to follow the stringent set of guidelines below. To make life easier for the moderators, our goal is to weed-out the troublemakers early, which should also lessen interaction from moderators. We want to have as little editing or deleting of posts as possible, so instead we will seek to edit “people”.

The bottom line is that only the intellectually honest need apply to participate in this board. Our moderators will be primarily looking to identify those who give even the slightest inkling that they are here to waste people’s time, consciously or otherwise. We will be looking for repeated cases of red-herrings, quibbling over terms (equivocation), strawmen, false allegations, and other devices contrary to honest debate. If this is your style of debate, then this forum isn’t for you.

That forum is in fact for YECs only, unless one wants to continually watch their back. I had come to feel like a pro-democracy advocate in East Berlin during the height of the Cold War.

What really is honored there is posting YEC arguments that have often been descredited even from within more more informed YEC circles. Intellectual honesty is lacking in most who post there. This sneaks in very commonly, as most there simply parrot what they find from formal YEC sources online. The two most common techniques used in YEC writings involve strawman arguments and quote-mining. Neither is honest. So the style of debate rampant at that forum is in fact against the rules.

Jesus seemed to particularly not like hypocrisy. I think he would look with considerable disdain at http://www.evolutionfairytale.com especially regarding those who misuse their positions as mods and admins.