Why The War on Drugs Is a Huge Failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Why The War on Drugs Is a Huge Failure
I can wholeheartedly recommend the YouTube channel that published this video because they regularly publish educational videos about a wide range of topics. For example, when I received training for my current job, we watched two of their videos about how and why the Internet came to be. They always link their sources in the description of their videos, which is a big plus if you want to read more about the subject in question.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
05-03-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: Why The War on Drugs Is a Huge Failure
A famous toxicologist in my country has been saying this for a while. Trying to eliminate drug supply has not only failed, it's drowning Eastern Europe in a wave of "designer drugs": cheap, often clearly poisonous sh*t whose effects even expert toxicologists do not know. Use of these drugs are widespread among the poor and just a few weeks ago two teenage mothers (and their babies) in Hungary nearly died because of some new unknown drug. On a toxicology course in med school, we were told "old" drugs like heroin, cocaine or MDMA were easy to treat because their effects were known and many had antidotes - not at all so with these new chemicals. It's clear that education, prevention and rehabilitation must take the lead in the effort to reduce illegal drug use - I'd personally say, alongside combatting drug-related crimes, but once the demand sinks due to the former efforts, eventually it won't be necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
05-03-2016, 07:46 PM
The real answer is contained in a video I saw linked here recently about the fact that we need more human connection to help people avoid drugs. I can personally vouch for the fact that "Reefer Madness" did not convince me in any way to not try marijuana. I didn't run out and try it, but that bit of cinematic propaganda didn't convince anyone I knew. You want to see some schlock movie making, go watch it, at least for the giggles.
05-03-2016, 07:55 PM
The war on drugs is a failure because supply is going to meet demand. If a person wants a drug badly enough and they can't get a specific drug they are going to substitute and/or improvise. And there will be someone there happy to make money off that demand.

As long as people are looking for an external way to get numb, get buzzed, get happy, or whatever there will be a demand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2016, 07:57 PM
If only people cared about statistics instead of emotions when passing legislation Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
05-03-2016, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 09:11 PM by Fireball.)
(05-03-2016 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The war on drugs is a failure because supply is going to meet demand. If a person wants a drug badly enough and they can't get a specific drug they are going to substitute and/or improvise. And there will be someone there happy to make money off that demand.

As long as people are looking for an external way to get numb, get buzzed, get happy, or whatever there will be a demand.

Yup. Case in point, once Prohibition was lifted and alcohol again became legal and controlled by the government, the Mob pretty much got out of the business. Health issues from excessive consumption of alcohol notwithstanding, licensed production means that product quality is assured, and people won't potentially die immediately from consuming it.

Bottom line, government control will assure that the drug of choice will be produced at a predictable level, and overdoses with drugs like heroin will be a thing of the past. Plus, they'll tax the living shit out of it, just like sciggies and booze, making a mint while decreasing the criminal element's involvement. Win-win-win.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-03-2016, 09:15 PM
(05-03-2016 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The war on drugs is a failure because supply is going to meet demand. If a person wants a drug badly enough and they can't get a specific drug they are going to substitute and/or improvise. And there will be someone there happy to make money off that demand.

Yup. Case in point, once Prohibition was lifted and alcohol again became legal and controlled by the government, the Mob pretty much got out of the business. Health issues from excessive consumption of alcohol notwithstanding, licensed production means that product quality is assured, and people won't potentially die immediately from consuming it.

You would think Prohibition would have been enough to prove that a war on drugs isn't a war that can be won. Fuck, I have to sign away my life to get antihistamines thanks to this stupid war. And I recently got Tylenol 3 and Torodol for kidney stones...kill me now. I have received TWO phone calls from our prescription drug coverage plan to warn me that I may become addicted to the 30 T-3 pills and 10 Torodols. Next time I figure they will just give me a stick to bite down on. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2016, 10:09 PM
(05-03-2016 09:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Yup. Case in point, once Prohibition was lifted and alcohol again became legal and controlled by the government, the Mob pretty much got out of the business. Health issues from excessive consumption of alcohol notwithstanding, licensed production means that product quality is assured, and people won't potentially die immediately from consuming it.

You would think Prohibition would have been enough to prove that a war on drugs isn't a war that can be won. Fuck, I have to sign away my life to get antihistamines thanks to this stupid war. And I recently got Tylenol 3 and Torodol for kidney stones...kill me now. I have received TWO phone calls from our prescription drug coverage plan to warn me that I may become addicted to the 30 T-3 pills and 10 Torodols. Next time I figure they will just give me a stick to bite down on. Dodgy

That whole thing is stupid. I'm in an HMO, and about 5 years ago, I went in to get treated for a stinging sensation on my chest. Just turned out to be a skin tag next to a nipple (remind me again why guys have these? Tongue). The receptionist was acting kind of funny, but I didn't think that much of it- people have bad days. I had a fair amount of wait time in the exam room, and had a chance to look through my intake paperwork. There was an extra sheet that showed how many times I had been prescribed opiate painkillers in the five years previous (3 times). I about busted a gut, trying not to laugh. As I recall, a couple of those prescriptions, I didn't even fill them. I detest the way I feel when I take them. I still have a bottle of Tylenol #3 that I was prescribed for a back problem I had in 2011.
06-03-2016, 12:23 AM
The War on Drugs is not a failure. The prisons are full and rich, corporate motherfuckers and the crooked politicians they own are making money hand over fist out of it.

Surely you never thought the War on Drugs was about stopping drugs, did you?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-03-2016, 01:29 AM
This "war" won't be stopped, drugs are too convenient spanking boy. How politicians speech would look like without "saving the children" from them? Then you have the police and ordinary people who just like to deny something to others.

It is failure but for many emperor still have a clothes.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.