Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear
We've had several members on here talk about how they went on a religious forum and got immediately kicked off the minute they brought up anything about questioning religion. Not even trolling - just for trying to have a civil conversation about religion and atheism. Yet, we don't take this attitude with them when they come our forum. Why is that?

The answer is really quite simple: Because we have no fear.

Religious sites are scared shitless of atheists coming onto their forums asking people to question their beliefs, because deep down inside they know it's a lie. They know that they only believe in their religion because of indoctrination - the same reason why people of all other religions believe in theirs. Like any other religion, they can't prove the existence of their deity, let alone the nonexistence of the countless other deities from other religions.They are living in a technologically advanced modern day world, where they are constantly faced with believing in ridiculous fairy tales like Moses parting the Red Sea, a guy named Noah building a giant boat and putting 2 of every animal in the world on it for 40 days and nights, talking snakes, and burning bushes that talk. All this magic crap that they laugh at in other religions, but believe to be true in theirs because they want to hold onto their indoctrination.

Our attitude: "You want to have a serious debate on religion thinking you can convince me to come over to your side? Bring it on!"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
28-06-2014, 10:48 PM
RE: Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear
(28-06-2014 10:43 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  The answer is really quite simple: Because we have no fear.
Our attitude: "You want to have a serious debate on religion thinking you can convince me to come over to your side? Bring it on!"

It's even worse than that. I am completely disinterested. Their juvenile metaphysics bore me.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-06-2014, 12:11 AM
I rarely if ever see any reason to engage them in conversation/debate.

After you've debated one theist, the rest are usually no different... Can't be arsed explaining myself and answering the same tired questions over and over again.

Wish I had a quid for every time I've seen Pascal's Wager used.

I think a lot of them underestimate just how much thought and internal debate atheists and agnostics have done, especially those who have deconverted from religion. We covered this stuff very early on in the process.

For a while I used to read these supposed "proof of God's existence" threads, thinking maybe someone might come up with something interesting... Or at least something new to consider. But no... Same shit, different theist.

I'm actually surprised at how feeble their arguments are... Obviously it would take some pretty strong evidence and logic to convince me, but I thought they had better stuff than that.

I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels,
But I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools
. - The Grateful Dead
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
29-06-2014, 12:44 AM
(29-06-2014 12:11 AM)Sam Wrote:  I'm actually surprised at how feeble their arguments are

Yeah, no shit. Me too. Fucking idiots like Jermy and D-Wreck (insert any of the usual cast of morons) are all crowing "CHECKMATE, atheists!" and "Take THAT, atheists!" and I'm all like "......WTF, U call THAT SHIT convincing?????"

Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-06-2014, 07:28 AM
(28-06-2014 10:43 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We've had several members on here talk about how they went on a religious forum and got immediately kicked off the minute they brought up anything about questioning religion. Not even trolling - just for trying to have a civil conversation about religion and atheism. Yet, we don't take this attitude with them when they come our forum. Why is that?

Religious sites are scared shitless of atheists coming onto their forums asking people to question their beliefs, because deep down inside they know it's a lie. They know that they only believe in their religion because of indoctrination - the same reason why people of all other religions believe in theirs. Like any other religion, they can't prove the existence of their deity, let alone the nonexistence of the countless other deities from other religions.They are living in a technologically advanced modern day world, where they are constantly faced with believing in ridiculous fairy tales like Moses parting the Red Sea, a guy named Noah building a giant boat and putting 2 of every animal in the world on it for 40 days and nights, talking snakes, and burning bushes that talk. All this magic crap that they laugh at in other religions, but believe to be true in theirs because they want to hold onto their indoctrination.

I think you are right on the money. Religious forums are echo chambers just like churches. It is where believers go to get booster shots of the faith virus and to help each other to pretend. The last thing they want is the antidote coming in there.

I used to post on another forum for years, freerepublic.com. Never had a problem until I joined a thread on Atheism. Within short order I had no less than the owner of the site threatening me with being shut down. It told him I would respect his wishes and please to delete my account. Now on this site the Christians come onto every science thread and mock and generally show their hatred for science but on their religious forum they have special rules. They want to bash atheists without letting atheists defend themselves. I haven't been back since.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
29-06-2014, 07:49 AM
I'll still never understand how anyone would want to spend time in a christian forum. I personally have better things to do. Lol.

As for letting them here. I didnt know it was because we werent afraid. I thought we just didnt give a shit.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 6 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
29-06-2014, 08:31 AM
(29-06-2014 07:49 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'll still never understand how anyone would want to spend time in a christian forum. I personally have better things to do. Lol.

As for letting them here. I didnt know it was because we werent afraid. I thought we just didnt give a shit.

Not being afraid is part of not giving a shit.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
29-06-2014, 10:18 AM
(29-06-2014 07:28 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 10:43 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We've had several members on here talk about how they went on a religious forum and got immediately kicked off the minute they brought up anything about questioning religion. Not even trolling - just for trying to have a civil conversation about religion and atheism. Yet, we don't take this attitude with them when they come our forum. Why is that?

I think you are right on the money. Religious forums are echo chambers just like churches. It is where believers go to get booster shots of the faith virus and to help each other to pretend. The last thing they want is the antidote coming in there.

I used to post on another forum for years, freerepublic.com. Never had a problem until I joined a thread on Atheism. Within short order I had no less than the owner of the site threatening me with being shut down. It told him I would respect his wishes and please to delete my account. Now on this site the Christians come onto every science thread and mock and generally show their hatred for science but on their religious forum they have special rules. They want to bash atheists without letting atheists defend themselves. I haven't been back since.

Hey, I frequented that forum, still go over there, but it seems like the religious nutjobs own it now. I joined it over 10 years ago and just became an atheist the last couple of years. So my perspective has changed drastically. I'll still give a positive comment to anyone on those threads that stand up for science on their nutty creationist threads.

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Theists are frightened by the fact that atheists exist. It is a cautionary lesson to them that people can reject their bullshit and get on with their lives without it.

They cannot deal with that reality.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
29-06-2014, 10:59 AM
(29-06-2014 10:20 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Theists are frightened by the fact that atheists exist. It is a cautionary lesson to them that people can reject their bullshit and get on with their lives without it.

They cannot deal with that reality.

What I don't understand is how they don't realise that god us made us this way... it's all part of its/her/his plan.

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post