Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 10:49 AM
RE: Why We Let Theists Stay On Our Forum: Because We Have No Fear
(30-06-2014 10:31 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I get where you're coming from, but I think what would hurt us most in the eyes of a fence-sitter would be our unwillingness to debate them and kick them off our board the way they do to us. My advice to them would be to go on a religious forum and asking questions about the validity of their religious beliefs. I'd tell them to do it as politely as possible as well, and then watch how quickly they get kicked off that forum just for the suggestion of questioning religious beliefs.

I'm not trying to stereotype all theists, but I am criticizing the way they run their forums. Do you know of a religious forum that will allow atheist members there who discuss questioning religious beliefs?
I agree. You are right that we should continue to allow theists here and it certainly could look bad to fence-sitters for us to kick them off. And I agree that fence-sitters may be put off by getting kicked off of religious forums for questioning. I was just pointing out that we should try to be accurate in what we are saying about theists. And, while it's true that fear is a reason atheists get banned from theist forums, it isn't the only reason. Many fence-sitters who may currently be theists themselves will recognize that there are also other reasons theists don't want atheists on their forums. So, isolating it down to only the fear, may come across as manipulative.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
30-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Reason is the opposite of faith and many come here to test their faith.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-06-2014, 11:44 AM
(30-06-2014 11:43 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Reason is the opposite of faith and many come here to test their faith.

Unfortunately for them, reason is the best way to lose faith as well.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
30-06-2014, 01:04 PM
(30-06-2014 11:43 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Reason is the opposite of faith and many come here to test their faith.

I think many of them come here with the idea that they are going to make atheists look like fools, or just to troll. I don't mind that so much, considering that it will only prove to fence-sitters watching this forum that these theist trolls don't have any valid arguments on why their religious beliefs have any merit, but it does get annoying when you have the ones that do nothing but repeat themselves and move the goalposts to avoid actually answering a question, or ones that try to derail threads by completely changing the subject.

I've come across very few of them that are actually here to honestly test their faith and be open to considering the merit of the reasonings that atheists give them.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
02-07-2014, 02:27 AM
I don't think it has to much to do with fear. I think it has more to do with the fact that TTA is more geared to interfaith diologue. I think this probably has its basis in the fact that atheism is nondogmatic. Thus one can be atheist and be a neo Nazi or a pinco commie. Also this forum has a very strong concept of freedom of speech. There is rarely if ever any banhammering on this site. This may be because of the long history of censorship some atheists have had to bear in public as well as the self-censorship the face in private amongst friends. The TTA community is meant to be open for all, free of persecution. Sometimes this leads to problems such as the fiasco that caused the leaving of Lilith pride, which was a major loss for TTA. I imagine many sites don't want that kind of trouble. They probably just make it a standard policy that there is no interfaith diologue on the site just to keep things calm. I doubt the allow Zoroastrians or Rastafarians or neo pagans on the site so I don't think its a fear of atheists. Many christian sites don't even allow members of differing denominations.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
02-07-2014, 02:45 AM
(02-07-2014 02:27 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I don't think it has to much to do with fear. I think it has more to do with the fact that TTA is more geared to interfaith diologue. I think this probably has its basis in the fact that atheism is nondogmatic. Thus one can be atheist and be a neo Nazi or a pinco commie. Also this forum has a very strong concept of freedom of speech. There is rarely if ever any banhammering on this site. This may be because of the long history of censorship some atheists have had to bear in public as well as the self-censorship the face in private amongst friends. The TTA community is meant to be open for all, free of persecution. Sometimes this leads to problems such as the fiasco that caused the leaving of Lilith pride, which was a major loss for TTA. I imagine many sites don't want that kind of trouble. They probably just make it a standard policy that there is no interfaith diologue on the site just to keep things calm. I doubt the allow Zoroastrians or Rastafarians or neo pagans on the site so I don't think its a fear of atheists. Many christian sites don't even allow members of differing denominations.

Yup. That sounds about right.

In a way, it's surprise that we don't get more theists coming here.

btw, I don't know why Lilith departed. I certainly had no inkling that it was over a free-expression issue.
Consider

02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
(02-07-2014 02:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 02:27 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I don't think it has to much to do with fear. I think it has more to do with the fact that TTA is more geared to interfaith diologue. I think this probably has its basis in the fact that atheism is nondogmatic. Thus one can be atheist and be a neo Nazi or a pinco commie. Also this forum has a very strong concept of freedom of speech. There is rarely if ever any banhammering on this site. This may be because of the long history of censorship some atheists have had to bear in public as well as the self-censorship the face in private amongst friends. The TTA community is meant to be open for all, free of persecution. Sometimes this leads to problems such as the fiasco that caused the leaving of Lilith pride, which was a major loss for TTA. I imagine many sites don't want that kind of trouble. They probably just make it a standard policy that there is no interfaith diologue on the site just to keep things calm. I doubt the allow Zoroastrians or Rastafarians or neo pagans on the site so I don't think its a fear of atheists. Many christian sites don't even allow members of differing denominations.

Yup. That sounds about right.

In a way, it's surprise that we don't get more theists coming here.

btw, I don't know why Lilith departed. I certainly had no inkling that it was over a free-expression issue.
Consider

In terms of the reason as to why she left I should point out that I was absent from the forum during that time but I think KC said it had to do with one member saying they had cancer and another accused her of lying. Big shit show ensued. I can't remember if Lilith left because the accuser wasn't banned or because he eventually was. Ask KC for the story if you're interested cause I could be talking out a my ass.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc