Why We Must Fight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Why We Must Fight
The following is an excerpt from an exchange I had last night with - as I later found out - a 14-year-old girl. I found it rather disheartening.

She: Listen, I believe in God. My choice. You don't. Your choice. But evolution has been proven wrong. You know the geologic column? It's just circular reasoning. And when a Scientist said he made life in a lab he really didn't. First he started off with a toxic atmosphere and made a few amino acids. Life needs more than just a few amino acids. I could list off a bunch of reasons evolution isn't true, but I doubt you would even wanna listen.

Miso: I took a look at your channel. It turns out you're still just a young kid. This excuses your ignorance, because you've not yet seen nearly enough of the world to know how it works.

I'll give you a few years to grow up and figure things out.

She: Believe me when I say I know about evolution. I'm homeschooled and during school my Dad will show us videos by this preacher called Kent Hovind. I doubt you will watch anything or listen to what he has to say, but he has so many points on how evolution is wrong, I suggest even watching a short clip of some of his stuff. If you don't want to, fine. I'm only trying to help, but I can't force it on you. And my age doesn't mean anything. Just cause I'm young doesn't mean I'm ignorant.

I quickly ended the conversation, given her age, but I did leave her with one of Potholer's videos in a (probably vain) last ditch effort to "save" her before blocking her.

I was disheartened when I heard "homeschooled". I was further disheartened to hear that her dad is apparently intellectually raping her and (based on her wording) her siblings with good ol' Kent Hovind's dumb-fuckery. We can all clearly see how much of an effect its having.

This is why I feel we must actively oppose the creationists. People wonder if it's worth it, or they wonder what the big deal is; well this is the big deal. I do not believe "intellectual rape" is unecessarily strong wording. Not by any means. These kids' minds are being hijacked and controlled by trusted family members and religious authorities. They are going to grow up in an altered state from that which is normal or decent. If that's not a perfect example of intellectual rape, I simply don't know what is.

We must fight this just as strongly as we'd fight any other form of rape or assault.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM
RE: Why We Must Fight
I'm right there with you! I think what this young lady's father is doing to her & her siblings should be made illegal, and made punisheable by.....well that I'll leave to more forgiving, level headed individuals than myself. Just out of curiousity, though, what's your idea of a just punishment for breaking the "intellectual" rape law?

Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 10:49 AM
(10-04-2013 10:39 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'm right there with you! I think what this young lady's father is doing to her & her siblings should be made illegal, and made punisheable by.....well that I'll leave to more forgiving, level headed individuals than myself. Just out of curiousity, though, what's your idea of a just punishment for breaking the "intellectual" rape law?

As a wise man once said: ".....well that I'll leave to more forgiving, level headed individuals than myself." Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Sounds like a troll in training. Maybe she'll join the forum in a few years.

Very sad, I hope she eventually decides to view all the evidence and decide for herself.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
(10-04-2013 10:57 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Sounds like a troll in training. Maybe she'll join the forum in a few years.

Very sad, I hope she eventually decides to view all the evidence and decide for herself.

We can hope. But she's probably lost in her indoctrination. Most don't care to see the other side...they just go along with whatever lines up with their religious belief.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
What are we fighting?
The ignorance of the masses?
The content of the simple man,
indulgent man,
with too many free passes?
Who are we to spark the heavens?
To dictate change to the rhetorical right,
This unfilled plan,
while you may do what you can,
do you have an end goal in sight?

What are we fighting?
The course of the rain
in a turbulent sky?
And are you the one
the rising sun
to define for us, why?

Oh..... why.....
Oh..... why.....

And I cannot even see
the gods for their tears.
Are you telling me of your anger?
Or are you responding to your fears?
Tell me, oh, tell me,
the will of havoc you would wreak
not of the path of destruction
rather, the utopia you seek.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-04-2013, 12:07 PM
(10-04-2013 10:24 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The following is an excerpt from an exchange I had last night with - as I later found out - a 14-year-old girl. I found it rather disheartening.

She: Listen, I believe in God. My choice. You don't. Your choice. But evolution has been proven wrong. You know the geologic column? It's just circular reasoning. And when a Scientist said he made life in a lab he really didn't. First he started off with a toxic atmosphere and made a few amino acids. Life needs more than just a few amino acids. I could list off a bunch of reasons evolution isn't true, but I doubt you would even wanna listen.

Miso: I took a look at your channel. It turns out you're still just a young kid. This excuses your ignorance, because you've not yet seen nearly enough of the world to know how it works.

I'll give you a few years to grow up and figure things out.

She: Believe me when I say I know about evolution. I'm homeschooled and during school my Dad will show us videos by this preacher called Kent Hovind. I doubt you will watch anything or listen to what he has to say, but he has so many points on how evolution is wrong, I suggest even watching a short clip of some of his stuff. If you don't want to, fine. I'm only trying to help, but I can't force it on you. And my age doesn't mean anything. Just cause I'm young doesn't mean I'm ignorant.

I quickly ended the conversation, given her age, but I did leave her with one of Potholer's videos in a (probably vain) last ditch effort to "save" her before blocking her.

I was disheartened when I heard "homeschooled". I was further disheartened to hear that her dad is apparently intellectually raping her and (based on her wording) her siblings with good ol' Kent Hovind's dumb-fuckery. We can all clearly see how much of an effect its having.

This is why I feel we must actively oppose the creationists. People wonder if it's worth it, or they wonder what the big deal is; well this is the big deal. I do not believe "intellectual rape" is unecessarily strong wording. Not by any means. These kids' minds are being hijacked and controlled by trusted family members and religious authorities. They are going to grow up in an altered state from that which is normal or decent. If that's not a perfect example of intellectual rape, I simply don't know what is.

We must fight this just as strongly as we'd fight any other form of rape or assault.
I'm almost on the bandwagon, but not quite. What this amounts to is selective exposure to materials that the father or both parents believe is the best thing for her. It's really no different than parents who don't want their kids to watch violent movies and only let them see softer ones. They do both out of intended goodness for their children. While that's frustrating in this case regarding evolution, it's not something I can get overly worked up about.

Where I would have a problem is if this girl is also not allowed to seek other information via books, internet, etc.. As long as she is allowed to seek other information, there is a chance she will eventually be exposed to other ideas and may come to see the truth. I suppose that's where the fight comes in - in making sure that those other ideas are out there and easy to find - better yet, easy to stumble upon accidentally even when not directly looking.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I have a daughter-in-law (not in law but in fact) who was raised in a very fundamentalist household but is now a very committed atheist. How people will become is determined more by themselves than outside agency.

We must very much oppose the teaching of creationism in schools, we cannot legislate against what people teach their children. This would open a huge can of worms. I engaged in political reeducation in embryo some might condemn that.
10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Who is "we"? People from the US? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-04-2013, 12:30 PM
(10-04-2013 12:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Who is "we"? People from the US? Consider

People from....