Why We Must Fight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: Why We Must Fight
(12-04-2013 01:29 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Were you meaning to reply to Mark Fulton?

I don't want to control how people raise their children, for the "golden rule" reason, as you say, that I don't want anyone imposing such control over me and my children.

What I was referring to is the idea of dispelling the god delusion by educating the people of this world to the point that nobody needs religion anymore, so nobody finds any reason to indoctrinate children because the parents themselves are not subject to any religious delusion either.

I agree.

Just to clarify my post....I wouldn't presume to deny parents the right to educate their children how they see fit. Doesn't mean I'm not going to criticize them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
12-04-2013, 02:23 AM
(11-04-2013 11:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  Frankly, I'm rather proud of her. She stood up to you and didn't bat an eyelid. She demonstarted courage and intelligence for her years. What a positive light in a very dark and atheistic world.

What makes you think that atheism (a lack of faith in deities) should be equated to darkness? That's rather silly. Islam is dark and oppressive, yet it is fully theistic. Why should theism be thought of as "light" and atheism as "darkness"?

When I was her age, I was also standing up without any trepidation against what I thought was morally and factually wrong. I refused to study evolution seriously in high school, though I had to sit through the biology classes along with everyone else. I answered the questions on my tests with "according to our teacher, dinosaurs roamed the earth millions of years ago, etc." I never removed my Bible from the top of my desk; I led a student-initiated after-school Bible study group; I organized the National Day of Prayer in my high school. What I know now is that I seriously stinted my own education.

Anyone who wants to make strides in this world must first lay a good foundation for further work. If you refuse the basics of the field of life science, you make yourself a fool and prevent yourself from getting ahead in your education - which can hinder you in so many ways. I was absolutely wrong, no matter the level of my zeal in high school (and even later in the beginning of my college career). This little girl may have a bold spirit, but that doesn't make her right. She's righteously indignant for all the wrong reasons - because she's been lied to. In the future, this just might bring her away from religion altogether, if she has the mental fortitude to realize that not only did these creationist lunatics lie to her (that includes her own father) but all her religious instructors have carried on a farce in promoting the idea that they have any clue about the meaning of life or the "great beyond." They are just as in the dark as the rest of humanity regarding things that are unknown and unknowable. They just trust in fairy tales that have been passed down from primitive times and think they've got the answers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like jaihare's post
12-04-2013, 02:27 AM
(12-04-2013 12:09 AM)Heathen Wrote:  I agree with you, Aseptic Skeptic. My indoctrination was fairly mild by most standards and also rather ineffective, but it still took me a 20+ years and a lot of work and struggle to rid myself of it. The process still continues to be honest. I can only imagine the damage that is done to those who had it worse than me. Many will spend an entire lifetime and never fully recover.

Absolutely. I only left religion completely just over a year ago. It's certainly something that takes time and work, and the process was not a simple 1-2-3, as you know.
12-04-2013, 05:42 AM
(11-04-2013 11:30 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is the world population predominantly atheist? *pines for the correct answer*

12-04-2013, 05:45 AM
(11-04-2013 11:30 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is the world population predominantly atheist? *pines for the correct answer*

12-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Sorry. Awful mobile service!

Yes it is.
Everyone, including Egor, is atheistic towards the vast majority of the gods.

Misa,
I'm not sure there was much you could have done with that particular individual except perhaps to honestly and sincerely ask her not to resent her father in later years. Remember and pity him for he is a victim too.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post