Why agnosticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Why agnosticism?
Came across some videos that I think make a good case for agnosticism and I thought I would share. The second one I've posted a couple other places, but I like it so much, I wanted to add it to this thread. Curious to hear y'alls thoughts.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
29-08-2015, 09:38 PM
RE: Why agnosticism?
Didn't watch the second one.... maybe later.

Thought the first one was a bit overbearing and accusatory. But if that's where one is personally, I'm sure it helps deal with all the flack one gets from the atheist tag.

I've been me too long to give a shit about what anyone wants to call me. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
29-08-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure if there really is a 'case' to be made for agnosticism. Basically, agnosticism is not a position of belief, but rather of mere knowledge. I don't know if anyone has pure knowledge or absolute certainty if the supernatural exists or not, but of what we know...of the 'evidence' that we have seen, it would point to a deity NOT existing. That said, I don't think that we need to get caught up in it. I consider myself an atheist, but also agnostic as the two are not diametrically opposed.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 7 users Like Deidre32's post
30-08-2015, 05:09 AM
Those videos suck. Tongue

By agnostic, do you mean "knowledge is incomplete" or "god is unknowable?" Because those things are always the case. The problem I have with "agnosticism" is that many "practitioners" get so caught up in their preconceived notions of intellectual integrity that they end up actually not saying anything, like Leo just did.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 05:29 AM by Matt Finney.)
I get what you guys are saying, but I like the videos because they go further (especially the first one) to suggest that withholding belief when there isn't sufficient evidence is the most effective method of gaining knowledge and avoiding false beliefs. Some other skeptics have coined the term "abeliefist" to describe their position, and I think that would be fitting for me as well. Atheist only means lack of belief that god exists, whereas abeliefist would go further to also avoid belief that god doesn't exist, until there is conclusive evidence. It's not easy to avoid belief, and it's no doubt easier for some than others, but if we are only interested in the truth, then I believe it is the best method.

One thing to keep in mind is that language is fluid, and the author of the first video is speaking of strong atheism (belief that god doesn't exist) when he refers to atheism. He also equates "I don't believe god exists" with "I believe god doesn't exist". I personally make a distinction between those two statements, but I've noticed that many do not.
30-08-2015, 05:37 AM
I could not get past the agnostic in the first video defining god. Hobo

And atheist does not "just" mean lack in belief in gods because being atheist has a very definite cultural context. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 05:42 AM
(30-08-2015 05:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I could not get past the agnostic in the first video defining god. Hobo

And atheist does not "just" mean lack in belief in gods because being atheist has a very definite cultural context. Tongue

Interesting.....Consider

How do you define atheist?

For me, I define atheist very simply as everyone who is not a theist.

My definition: atheist = not a theist

I realize that many don't define it this way, and many consider atheist to mean belief that god doesn't exist. This is why scientists like Carl Sagan and Neil Tyson have avoided the label of atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
30-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Whyizit???

The dullest people are always the ones trying to split hairs??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-08-2015, 05:59 AM
(30-08-2015 05:42 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  How do you define atheist?

Usually I don't. I leave it to the other guy. Big Grin

Specifically an atheist is one who rejects contemporary theology. To me, that covers the original essence of the term and the current controversy of why atheists, who lack belief, actively debate theists.

God doesn't exist, so what the fuck are we talking about? We're rejecting theology. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 06:00 AM
(30-08-2015 05:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Whyizit???

The dullest people are always the ones trying to split hairs??

Why ask why?