Why agnosticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
RE: Why agnosticism?
Agnosticism and Atheism are not mutually exclusive, just like agnosticism and theism aren't.

Bertrand Russel argued that there is no need for agnosticism with his flying tea pot explanation. It is reasonable to assume only when there is no evidence contrary to the assumption, therefore making absolute atheism the most reasonable position, in his words.

The example we see nowadays is usually used in the form of Santa Claus. There's no evidence that he doesn't exist, but because there's no evidence of the positive claim that he does then it is reasonable to assume he doesn't.

Affirmation that Santa Claus doesn't exist is just as reasonable as the affirmation that god doesn't exist.

In spite of Russel's opinion I still remain an Agnostic Atheist as I find any other position rather arrogant, except Agnostic Theist. I find that the most pitiful of positions because to me it implies a fearful, sheep-minded human being incapable of any thought past the extent of their emotion.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 11:28 AM
We could falsify the santa claim by traveling to the north pole.

If god is reduced to the cause/source of existence, then we could falsify god by discovering that the cause/source of existence is something else.

Santa is perhaps a bit easier to falsify.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
11-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Ahh, one of my favorite topics. I'm just going to add my position, so it is known this position exists. On "Dawkin's scale" I would consider myself a 6.9, but I consider myself a gnostic atheist. I find the theist proposals I have heard ridiculous to even a worse degree than the mile tall invisible dragon. And while I fully admit I can't prove a god doesn't exist, I also am just as confident that god does not exist as I am about just about anything else I know. And, for the most part, anything I "know" can be overturned given some discovery that may happen some day. I find it personally useless to adopt an agnostic title just because human knowledge is incomplete. Because that will always be true.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.