Why agnosticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 07:26 AM
RE: Why agnosticism?
(30-08-2015 07:24 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It would be nice we could all reach consensus on definitions. Consider

The harder you try to define it, the more personal the definition becomes, the less someone else will agree with it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-08-2015, 07:27 AM
I found very ironic the idea of a man who doesn't want to play sides in a conflict between two cultural groups and is afraid of being told what to do, make a video to promote his line of thinking thus telling people what to do. I wonder if he realised it.
30-08-2015, 07:27 AM
(30-08-2015 07:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:24 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It would be nice we could all reach consensus on definitions. Consider

The harder you try to define it, the more personal the definition becomes, the less someone else will agree with it.

But how do we communicate without defining it?

If we all define it differently, doesn't that guarantee miscommunication? Huh
30-08-2015, 07:29 AM
(30-08-2015 07:27 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I found very ironic the idea of a man who doesn't want to play sides in a conflict between two cultural groups and is afraid of being told what to do, make a video to promote his line of thinking thus telling people what to do. I wonder if he realised it.

It's more like he's teaching you "how to think" rather than "what to do"......Drinking Beverage
30-08-2015, 07:40 AM
(30-08-2015 07:27 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  The harder you try to define it, the more personal the definition becomes, the less someone else will agree with it.

But how do we communicate without defining it?

If we all define it differently, doesn't that guarantee miscommunication? Huh

Well according to quantum mechanics you can never know where you are and how fast you're going *precisely*. Doesn't mean you can't approximate. Same principle.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-08-2015, 07:42 AM
(30-08-2015 07:24 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It would be nice we could all reach consensus on definitions.

Perhaps you think we're all just computational truth-tables; which is not exactly untrue considering how many words we throw around without clarification. Yet I feel it in error to assign logic the prime attribute to humanity when clearly it is emotion from which we arise.

Emotional entanglements are definitely enhanced when the definition under discussion is an identifier.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 07:44 AM
(30-08-2015 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well according to quantum mechanics...

Ding, ding! We have a winner! First one overboard into quantum woo goes to morondog! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 07:56 AM
(30-08-2015 07:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well according to quantum mechanics...

Ding, ding! We have a winner! First one overboard into quantum woo goes to morondog! Big Grin

Fuck off Rolleyes I've actually sat through a few courses, though you wouldn't know it just looking at me. Or talking to me. I'm reasonably convinced that the last dude I had for QM was a pure charlatan masquerading as a physicist. If I ever catch up with him again I'm gonna kick him in the balls.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-08-2015, 08:00 AM
(30-08-2015 07:15 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The terms atheist, theist, and agnostic all deal with matters of belief, not knowledge. It is not possible to know whether or not there is a magical man outside of space and time that no physical experiment can observe, therefore if lack of knowledge is the test, everyone is by definition an agnostic, and the term becomes meaningless. A theist is a person who believes there is a god. Some theists claim to "know" there is a god, but they simply fail to understand the distinction between belief and knowledge.

An agnostic, therefore, is a person who has no belief regarding the existence of god, even though the etymology of the word is from Greek "without knowledge." It's a case of the modern meaning of a word differing from its root.

What some people call a "soft atheist," i.e., someone who merely does not hold a belief that there is a god, is actually an agnostic. "Without belief," as explained above.

An atheist is a person who believes there is no god, since the terms all refer to belief, rather than knowledge (which is impossible).

I am an atheist. I believe (though I cannot prove) that there is no god. I also disbelieve in angels, demons, The Devil, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, the so-called "energy vortexes" of Sedona, AZ, astrology, perpetual-motion machines, and every other form of religious and quasi-religious crap that nutters invent on a regular basis.

Atheist believe that there is no god? Really?

I'm atheist and I do not believe that there is no god - I don't see any reason to believe in existence of that particular ill defined something. "Arguments" for it's existence are unconvincing in the extreme and mostly I think they ammount to indoctrination and incredulity coupled with wanting to feel special.

In short belief has nothing to do with my atheism, only lack of it. Lack which is entirelly justified I add.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
30-08-2015, 08:01 AM
(30-08-2015 07:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  Fuck off Rolleyes

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I was lol'ing. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post