Why agnosticism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 08:16 AM
RE: Why agnosticism?
(01-09-2015 08:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I feel so rejected. Sadcryface2

Yabut, when you tell us your conception of the divine, you accept it. That's not atheism as I've ever understood it...
Big Grin

(you even make a better case than most!)

I'd be all officially Gwynnite if I wasn't so damn lazy. And if I could write beyond the introduction without laughing myself insensate. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Theism/atheism = I believe/dont believe in a god(s)
Gnostic/agnostic = I know/don't know if there is a god

Everyone falls into one of each category. You can be a
Gnostic theist..I believe and I know
Agnostic theist...I belive but I don't know
Gnostic atheist....I don't believe and I know there isn't
Agnostic atheist...I dont believe but I don't know

Agnosticism is not a middle ground between atheism and theism. It's part of an entirely different proposition.
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2015, 07:03 PM
(07-09-2015 12:22 PM)Bwchadwell Wrote:  Theism/atheism = I believe/dont believe in a god(s)

Agnosticism is not a middle ground between atheism and theism. It's part of an entirely different proposition.

Anybody who thinks they KNOW whether or not there's a god, misunderstands the concept of knowledge. Nobody can know, therefore nobody does.

The Gnostics were an early Christian sect who believed that the key to salvation was secret knowledge that Jesus brought. The name didn't mean they knew that there was a god. It referred to their belief that there was some secret knowledge that was key.

I believe there were also non-Christian Gnostics. People who did not believe in Jesus but who likewise believed that the key to life lay in some secret knowledge that they strove to learn.

Even though the term "agnostic" literally means without knowledge, in modern use it means someone who takes no belief position with regard to the existence of god.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
07-09-2015, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 08:02 PM by Free.)
(07-09-2015 07:03 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 12:22 PM)Bwchadwell Wrote:  Theism/atheism = I believe/dont believe in a god(s)

Anybody who thinks they KNOW whether or not there's a god, misunderstands the concept of knowledge. Nobody can know, therefore nobody does.

Why can't people know one way or the other?

What is the criteria we should use to determine existence or non existence?

If we cannot know whether or not this Abrahamic god exists, does that also indicate that we cannot know if anything else exists or not?

If I say to you that I have a large 100 mile high dragon living in my 12 foot high garage, should you then say "I don't know," or "I can't know?"

When does "reason" make an introduction to all this?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
07-09-2015, 08:06 PM
(01-09-2015 05:41 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It's really not about superiority at all though. It's that the bs meter pegs to full scale when 0's and 7's (dawkins scale) start talking about their knowledge of god. Knowledge I'm certain they don't have.....Cool

Theists try to define god into existence, while atheists try to define god out of existence, while agnostics claim that both sides don't know Jack Schitt. Tongue

No. Atheists reject the claims of theists. It's not up to me to define the god the theist claims exists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
08-09-2015, 05:14 AM
(07-09-2015 07:03 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Even though the term "agnostic" literally means without knowledge, in modern use it means someone who takes no belief position with regard to the existence of god.

Just because people wrongly co-opted the term to avoid the social stigma of the atheist label doesn't change the fact that it has an actual definition. There is no neutral belief position. You either accept the claim that there is a god or you don't.
08-09-2015, 05:29 AM
The above post is simply not true. I'm sure some one will be along shortly with that naffy diagram showing the four different flavours of belief.
08-09-2015, 05:35 AM
The heck with that graphic. Tongue

The heck with that dichotomy. The function of god's existence varies directly with nearness to orgasm. Evil_monster

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
08-09-2015, 05:41 AM
(07-09-2015 08:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 05:41 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  It's really not about superiority at all though. It's that the bs meter pegs to full scale when 0's and 7's (dawkins scale) start talking about their knowledge of god. Knowledge I'm certain they don't have.....Cool

Theists try to define god into existence, while atheists try to define god out of existence, while agnostics claim that both sides don't know Jack Schitt. Tongue

No. Atheists reject the claims of theists. It's not up to me to define the god the theist claims exists.

Let me fix it.

Theists try to define god into existence, while 6.9'ers and above try to define god out of existence, while agnostics claim that both sides don't know Jack Schitt. Tongue

It's the same guys who are telling us that a garage dragon that exists, doesn't exist. They're all like, "see, by existing, it doesn't exist.....etc...."
08-09-2015, 06:02 AM
(29-08-2015 06:56 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Came across some videos that I think make a good case for agnosticism and I thought I would share. The second one I've posted a couple other places, but I like it so much, I wanted to add it to this thread. Curious to hear y'alls thoughts.

Penn is correct. I think you are a really confused person. Asking if someone beleives in something is not a loaded question. Either they do or they do not. If you are asked if you believe in something and your answer is anything but a yes, then you don't.

I don't know
I couldn't possibly know.
You don't know either so stop pretending you do
Maybe
I "Choose" not to believe either one way or the other.

All of these "agnostic" arguments are nothing more then a weak way of saying the word NO!

Agnostics like you are nothing more then a pussy atheist who is too much of a coward to accept the fact that its a yes or a no question and that you answered NO to it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post