Why allow the Christians to have a monopoly on the word "God"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Why allow the Christians to have a monopoly on the word "God"?
The term "god" has nothing to do with the supernatural. It's defined in the dictionary as meaning "a person or thing of supreme value" or "supreme being". Yet Christians always talk about believing in God like it's "their word". As a pantheist (and someone that does not believe in the supernatural) I believe in God also. And yes, I am religious. My God is the Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is, and I'm religious since I strongly believe in these things. Wouldn't God be by default those things for an atheist?

Logic:

God = Supreme being or reality
Supreme being or reality to a human = Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is
Therefore, everyone does have a God. It's Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is.

I want the term God to stay in the pledge of allegiance, in "In God we Trust", and in the declaration of independence (i.e creator).

I am a United States citizen. It's actually amazing to me how correct the founding fathers got our founding documents and constitution. Not a single mention of Christianity is mentioned anywhere (although God or Creator is). And with the signing of the Treaty of Tripoli (which was read out loud, given to every senator in the room, and signed by everyone) there is conclusive evidence that the United States is not a Christian nation. This is the reason I believe the United States is the greatest country in the world. Yes, there may be a large population of Christians here, but it is decreasing fast, with about 30% of those under the age of 30 non-religious.

It just makes me angry when Christians use God as if it's their word. When, as defined by the dictionary and human language, it's not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 06:35 AM
RE: Why allow the Christians to have a monopoly on the word "God"?
The term god points to a subjective entity, not just some supreme thing like nature. But I agree that chrisitans tend to monopolize the word...

And also this:

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-08-2013, 06:37 AM
(06-08-2013 06:05 AM)ryannyc Wrote:  The term "god" has nothing to do with the supernatural. It's defined in the dictionary as meaning "a person or thing of supreme value" or "supreme being". Yet Christians always talk about believing in God like it's "their word". As a pantheist (and someone that does not believe in the supernatural) I believe in God also. And yes, I am religious. My God is the Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is, and I'm religious since I strongly believe in these things. Wouldn't God be by default those things for an atheist?

Logic:

Supreme being or reality to a human = Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is
Therefore, everyone does have a God. It's Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is.

I want the term God to stay in the pledge of allegiance, in "In God we Trust", and in the declaration of independence (i.e creator).

I am a United States citizen. It's actually amazing to me how correct the founding fathers got our founding documents and constitution. Not a single mention of Christianity is mentioned anywhere (although God or Creator is). And with the signing of the Treaty of Tripoli (which was read out loud, given to every senator in the room, and signed by everyone) there is conclusive evidence that the United States is not a Christian nation. This is the reason I believe the United States is the greatest country in the world. Yes, there may be a large population of Christians here, but it is decreasing fast, with about 30% of those under the age of 30 non-religious.

It just makes me angry when Christians use God as if it's their word. When, as defined by the dictionary and human language, it's not.

Pantheism seems to be a completely emotional stance, not reasoned.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2013, 06:47 AM
McCarthyism has sure done a number on the current population of the United States of America...

I don't think the word "God" or any of it's derivations belong in any governing document, period.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
06-08-2013, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 08:13 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-08-2013 06:05 AM)ryannyc Wrote:  Logic:

Therefore, everyone does have a God. It's Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is,

You forget to say what dictionary you got that definition from.
Most religious people would not agree with it, and YOU don't get to define what others mean when they use a word.

God=ultimate value or highest value in 2013 FOR SOME ONLY.
Your ultimate value is not everyone's ultimate value.

I'll call my ultimate value whatever the fuck I chose to.
In light of the historical meanings/nuances the word STILL connotes, I want nothing to do with the word "god(s)".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
(06-08-2013 06:05 AM)ryannyc Wrote:  The term "god" has nothing to do with the supernatural. It's defined in the dictionary as meaning "a person or thing of supreme value" or "supreme being". Yet Christians always talk about believing in God like it's "their word". As a pantheist (and someone that does not believe in the supernatural) I believe in God also. And yes, I am religious. My God is the Earth, Nature, Universe, and everything that is, and I'm religious since I strongly believe in these things. Wouldn't God be by default those things for an atheist?

Logic:

The word "god" isn't monopolize by Christians... the name "God" is, however, used by them as a title for their supreme being. The title has become a colloquialism for His name also.

...it's like calling your dad "Dad".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
06-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Gerrymandering word usage to set limits on acceptable discourse taints our language. The word 'god' has many meanings and even more common uses, so putting it in an equation balanced against one definition is bound (so to speak) to be inaccurate.

My use of "atheist" isn't a syntactic gambit in response to a particular organization's word-monopoly. It's not like I ceded "god" to Christians like Democrats cede "family values" to Republicans. "Atheist" is an accurate description of my position on a (goofy) hypothesis.

As I reread the original post, it comes across like the "You really do believe in God, you just think you don't" response we get from theists.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
06-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:Why allow the Christians to have a monopoly on the word "God"?

This is the most stupid thing I've herd all night.

Congratulations, you're an idiot.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-08-2013, 03:57 PM
(06-08-2013 11:41 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Why allow the Christians to have a monopoly on the word "God"?

This is the most stupid thing I've herd all night.

[Image: sheep-chewing-then-stare.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-08-2013, 04:01 PM
(06-08-2013 03:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:41 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This is the most stupid thing I've herd all night.

[Image: sheep-chewing-then-stare.gif]

With Muffers I'm never quite sure if the spelling is deliberate or not... mostly I've decided he does it to piss off Chas.