Why am I always looking to the future?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: Why am I always looking to the future?
*Hugs* to you Gloucester and Dom.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 11:15 AM
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:10 AM)skyking Wrote:  It might be painful, but you could try some nearby senior activities of some sort. If you make a job of it you would find some like minded person there, over time.

Senior activities - oh, the horror!

I couldn't make it through 10 minutes of it...No

There isn't anybody cool there because you don't go! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:10 AM)skyking Wrote:  It might be painful, but you could try some nearby senior activities of some sort. If you make a job of it you would find some like minded person there, over time.

Senior activities - oh, the horror!

I was a member of our local U3A for a few years. There are some fairly intelligent activities there for retirees, but I knew more about computers than the guy running that group and he got huffy about it. I did end up doing one-to-one tutorials for some of the members.

But the mere idea of talking about "the old days" or singing along to old songs has me running as fast and as far as my little legs and my dicky ticker allow!

There was an African Grey parrot for sale in a local pet shop and "Arthur" and I got on well after I recognised his request for me to scratch his neck. But pricey though! But, yes, Dom, I do bond well with animals and seem to have a good understanding of their behaviour, can recognise distress etc. And my (moved) friend's rascal of a Yorkie hides under the chair if I seriously tell her off, that's more than she does for her owner!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
10-12-2016, 12:25 PM
(10-12-2016 11:15 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Senior activities - oh, the horror!

There isn't anybody cool there because you don't go! Tongue

I HATE group activities! Absolutely detest them. It doesn't matter who is in the group. It's a fate worse than death! Not making myself do things I hate, time is too valuable. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-12-2016, 12:31 PM
(10-12-2016 11:16 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Senior activities - oh, the horror!

I was a member of our local U3A for a few years. There are some fairly intelligent activities there for retirees, but I knew more about computers than the guy running that group and he got huffy about it. I did end up doing one-to-one tutorials for some of the members.

But the mere idea of talking about "the old days" or singing along to old songs has me running as fast and as far as my little legs and my dicky ticker allow!

There was an African Grey parrot for sale in a local pet shop and "Arthur" and I got on well after I recognised his request for me to scratch his neck. But pricey though! But, yes, Dom, I do bond well with animals and seem to have a good understanding of their behaviour, can recognise distress etc. And my (moved) friend's rascal of a Yorkie hides under the chair if I seriously tell her off, that's more than she does for her owner!

Greys are extremely smart.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-12-2016, 01:30 PM
I would say that I'm sorry for how your life looked like but it would be meaningless - me being sorry won't change a thing.

As far as similarities in our life experience go there isn't much. I grew up poor and it is poverty and trying to overcome it something which shaped me. I'm bitter and hateful; my liberalism came from not caring about what others do - I'm not concerned about what people will do with their freedom. There are other issues (mine health problem being one of them) which aren't making me optimistic about future, as far as I'm concerned it will bring only more grief, pain and some small slivers of happiness.

But I realize that neither world not people owe me a thing - there are many more humans whose live is far more shitty than mine. So I decided to immerse myself in a world of books - to gain knowledge which I prize and escape from longing and misery. It's not bad way to live all things considered. True, it did not makes me happy but not apparently happiness isn't for everyone. I accepted it, just like I accept fact that in all probability I will spend my life alone, surrounded with people I deem foolish.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-12-2016, 01:37 PM
(10-12-2016 01:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I will spend my life alone, surrounded with people I deem foolish.

Oh dear. Isn't that the truth now. I feel the same way. Doesn't keep me from carving out my own happiness though. Or maybe it's more contentment and satisfaction than happiness. I don't actually know, happiness is so relative.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
It is so easy to think, "Why should I care about others when they never cared about me?" And, yes, I feel something of the same thing at times. Perhaps experience makes us more aware of our surroundings, of those idiots who walk backwards into us - try driving a mobility scooter in a supermarket!

I try to help people I see in trouble, but if they refuse or ignore my help they can go their own way - unless they are very, very special to me for some reason. I will offer maybe three times, then let them do their own thing.

That ''pseudo-liberalism'' I feel amounts to a ''Don't care'' attitude. Not necessarily a bad thing unless it means you ignore a person in obvious distress, in need of first aid say (assuming you have learned first aid!) It is a defence mechanism.

Szuchow, what do you do with that knowledge? To me knowledge and skills are sterile if they cannot be put to use in some way. And put to use in some way that it helps others is my personal aim.

Perhaps my weakest point is my attitude to authority, basically because I have found so few that claim that quality who are actually qualified to weild it. I am a fully balanced individual where authority is concerned, I have a chip on each shoulder! That was the great thing about retirement, no more stupid managers to contend with! No-one can sack me!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
10-12-2016, 02:56 PM
(10-12-2016 02:46 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Perhaps my weakest point is my attitude to authority, basically because I have found so few that claim that quality who are actually qualified to weild it. I am a fully balanced individual where authority is concerned, I have a chip on each shoulder! That was the great thing about retirement, no more stupid managers to contend with! No-one can sack me!

Oh, I don't think that's a weak point at all. It motivated me to start my own businesses. I have only ever had a couple of very short term jobs to tie me over when I lost my ass in business. Starting businesses was fun, and by the time I'd get bored with them, it was usually good to sell and move on to another.

That was all because I also hate authority. Especially when wielded by nitwits. It was a lot better when I was the nitwit with the authority. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-12-2016, 03:12 PM
@Gloucester

I don't see a reason for caring about strangers. I bear them no ill will but that's all - they could do whatever they wish if they aren't depriving others of the same freedom. Last part is pure pragmatism - if I don't stand for other rights then no one will be left or rather willing to stand for mine.

I don't want people to be free cause I think such is right - I simply not care about how others live their life (with above mentioned caveat).

As for help I help when asked though only if I feel that person in question deserve help. On semi unrelated note I'm pro gov assistance as it exist not only to waste cash of citizens for shit like building churches.

Knowledge I sometimes share when I feel there is reason for such, i.e.forum disputes. Mostly though I keep it to myself as I just like to know much. Some day I want to be able truthfuly say: Omniscient I'm not yet many things I know Wink.

I tend to defer to authority - like when I agreed to do the job I do it cause I gave my word. But it's only rarely that I feel something approaching respect for authority; gov of my country I despise and have every intention of showing it midfle finger during war, however unlikely that is.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.