Why am I always looking to the future?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 05:14 PM
RE: Why am I always looking to the future?
Dom, Goucester and Szuchow, this thread has been interesting so far. I appreciate your candid responses.

One question for all of you, and I have no intention of further involvement with the thread, just pure curiosity, but have any of you had children? I'm just curious as to what extent having kids might influence your life experience and your outlook on things now, if any of you have had them.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
@Evenheathen

I don't have children. I don't like them and I think that I wouldn't be a good parent. Also I see them as a burden - you have to clothe them, feed them and most importantly take time to raise them right, which distracts you from other pursuits.

Sure, having offspring have upsides yet I don't really see them.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
10-12-2016, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 06:14 PM by Dom.)
I don't have any either. I like them, but I didn't see my way to increase the world population.

Looking at my friends though, my choice remains to my advantage. I was able to save for retirement - most of them were not. I have complete personal freedom - which I value highly. My friends with kids have either ones that meddle constantly in their lives and think they know better what's good for them, or they never call and never visit anyway.

So I consider myself better off not having had children. I don't see what people always think will happen - that children will carry their parents through old age. If they are lucky they and up in some home. Me - I saved enough money to be able to afford help if I need it and I plan to stay right here where I love living.

Like I said above, despite the fact that aging brings drawbacks on the physical side (and it will, no matter how fit you are, shit will happen, bodies simply wear out) , I am content and happy and not at all longing for more company. The issue is finding persons one can trust with house keys and the like. Lots of folks can't trust their kids with those, either.

I have been thinking this would be such a good business if one could find truly vetted people for such things. It's difficult.

Oh, and of course you can take part in the conversation, I wish I had talked to more older people when I was younger, I would have been better prepared.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-12-2016, 06:27 PM
(10-12-2016 06:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, and of course you can take part in the conversation, I wish I had talked to more older people when I was younger, I would have been better prepared.

Thanks. Another reason I stick around this god forsaken forum. Smile

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
11-12-2016, 02:16 AM
(10-12-2016 05:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Dom, Goucester and Szuchow, this thread has been interesting so far. I appreciate your candid responses.

One question for all of you, and I have no intention of further involvement with the thread, just pure curiosity, but have any of you had children? I'm just curious as to what extent having kids might influence your life experience and your outlook on things now, if any of you have had them.

I have never married nor had kids, but I had a total of 22 nieces and nephews so I have had "exposure". I am ambivalent about them now, I want to see as many as possible a hieve as much of their potential as possible. Unfortunately I tend to come over more like a teacher than just a friend...

I settle for donating stuff, like a microscope and other stuff outside of tbe budget. Dearly love to help the kids with these but - no chance.

However, that is part of my investment in a future that I will never experience - part of the choice of title for this thread.

Basically kids are great - in small doses and in learning situations!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
11-12-2016, 02:25 AM
(10-12-2016 06:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 06:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, and of course you can take part in the conversation, I wish I had talked to more older people when I was younger, I would have been better prepared.

Thanks. Another reason I stick around this god forsaken forum. Smile

I second Dom's comment. Placing this in this place opens it to all who wish to add their experience, express an opinion or ask a question.

Despite my experiences I was often more comfortable with adults than my peers as a kid. They usually talked more sense. Now I find most of my peers stuck in nostalgia for past or wrapped up in familial problems so the kids are more interesting!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
11-12-2016, 02:28 AM
(10-12-2016 01:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 01:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I will spend my life alone, surrounded with people I deem foolish.

Oh dear. Isn't that the truth now. I feel the same way. Doesn't keep me from carving out my own happiness though. Or maybe it's more contentment and satisfaction than happiness. I don't actually know, happiness is so relative.

I long for days past when people surrounding me were smarter (it's not nostalgia, just memory of University days). I'm not entirely unhappy though for as long as I have job which allows buying ever more books and widening my understanding I can live with fools. They are merely annoyance confined to outside world, even if I'm forced to deal with them sometimes more and sometimes less.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.