Why am I getting so obsessed!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Why am I getting so obsessed!!
Hi All

Let me just start by saying this site is great Thumbsup I've been looking for answers for a while now and most of the questions I had, have already been answered on here without me having to post a thread!! Love it.

From a young age I have always been aware of how amazing the universe is, or to be more precise, how amazing our minuscule spec of the universe is.

I can vividly remember the first time I was given anything religious, it was a small red book with 'new testament and psalms' embossed on the cover. I was given this on my first day of school, after having a 'meet and greet' with the vicar at the church opposite. When it was my turn to speak with Mr Vicar and receive my book, I held out my hand and asked "What is this book about"?, to which the reply was, "This book is about everything, it will explain everything, tell you everything, and make you understand everything". Wow! I could not wait to get home and start reading; I had finally found the book that would explain how big the universe was, why dinosaurs were so large, how man was created, why we had a sun and a moon, and all the questions I had at the time. That day when I returned home I ran straight to my room, threw my bag on the floor, kicked off my shoes and jumped on my bed with my special red book. 'In the beginning there was..', "This is a great start" I thought, "It must be real as it doesn't start with 'Once upon a time' ".
As I continued to read my disappointment began to kick in. I would skip pages, look for chapters that mentioned about space or dinosaurs or planets or anything that would answer just 1 question I had, never mind 'Everything' as Mr Vicar had told me.

20 years later I am a web developer and creative designer, keen science fan and obsessive Atheist. In my opinion, if a book was written from the word of God, be it the Bible or the Quran or any other fantasy novel, which is mass marketed as the truth, then every single word of that publication must be 100% correct. If anything turns out to be wrong, even a single verse, then it fails and takes it's whole religion with it.
What eats away at me most, what turns me into an obsessive Atheist is not that the bible is full of contradictions and errors and fantasy stories, nor is it that the Quran is full of mistakes and inaccuracies, it is the people who try and justify it. The people in the street telling me that if I do not follow the rules in this book which was written thousands of years ago when people lived until they were almost a thousand years old, had a ridiculous amount of sons yet women just appeared, who believed the sky was held up by great pillars, who believed the stars were created for humans so they could tell the time, who split the moon in half because the people of the time wanted to see a miracle (referencing both the Bible and the Quran), if I don't read it and accept it then I will be punished, my children will be punished, I will suffer. This I cannot stand. And these very same people when their faith is even slightly questioned, or mistakes in their books are enquired about, turn into evil 'truth' defenders and use phrases like "God works in mysterious ways" or "If God can create the universe then why do you find it so hard to believe that he can impregnate a virgin".

I could rant on for hours about this but I will leave it here so other can speak Rolleyes

As stated this is just my opinion and unlike Theists I am always happy to hear other opinions and would LOVE to be proven wrong...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WonderingAtheist's post
08-07-2015, 01:21 AM
RE: Why am I getting so obsessed!!
(08-07-2015 01:15 AM)WonderingAtheist Wrote:  Hi All

Let me just start by saying this site is great Thumbsup I've been looking for answers for a while now and most of the questions I had, have already been answered on here without me having to post a thread!! Love it.

From a young age I have always been aware of how amazing the universe is, or to be more precise, how amazing our minuscule spec of the universe is.

I can vividly remember the first time I was given anything religious, it was a small red book with 'new testament and psalms' embossed on the cover. I was given this on my first day of school, after having a 'meet and greet' with the vicar at the church opposite. When it was my turn to speak with Mr Vicar and receive my book, I held out my hand and asked "What is this book about"?, to which the reply was, "This book is about everything, it will explain everything, tell you everything, and make you understand everything". Wow! I could not wait to get home and start reading; I had finally found the book that would explain how big the universe was, why dinosaurs were so large, how man was created, why we had a sun and a moon, and all the questions I had at the time. That day when I returned home I ran straight to my room, threw my bag on the floor, kicked off my shoes and jumped on my bed with my special red book. 'In the beginning there was..', "This is a great start" I thought, "It must be real as it doesn't start with 'Once upon a time' ".
As I continued to read my disappointment began to kick in. I would skip pages, look for chapters that mentioned about space or dinosaurs or planets or anything that would answer just 1 question I had, never mind 'Everything' as Mr Vicar had told me.

20 years later I am a web developer and creative designer, keen science fan and obsessive Atheist. In my opinion, if a book was written from the word of God, be it the Bible or the Quran or any other fantasy novel, which is mass marketed as the truth, then every single word of that publication must be 100% correct. If anything turns out to be wrong, even a single verse, then it fails and takes it's whole religion with it.
What eats away at me most, what turns me into an obsessive Atheist is not that the bible is full of contradictions and errors and fantasy stories, nor is it that the Quran is full of mistakes and inaccuracies, it is the people who try and justify it. The people in the street telling me that if I do not follow the rules in this book which was written thousands of years ago when people lived until they were almost a thousand years old, had a ridiculous amount of sons yet women just appeared, who believed the sky was held up by great pillars, who believed the stars were created for humans so they could tell the time, who split the moon in half because the people of the time wanted to see a miracle (referencing both the Bible and the Quran), if I don't read it and accept it then I will be punished, my children will be punished, I will suffer. This I cannot stand. And these very same people when their faith is even slightly questioned, or mistakes in their books are enquired about, turn into evil 'truth' defenders and use phrases like "God works in mysterious ways" or "If God can create the universe then why do you find it so hard to believe that he can impregnate a virgin".

I could rant on for hours about this but I will leave it here so other can speak Rolleyes

As stated this is just my opinion and unlike Theists I am always happy to hear other opinions and would LOVE to be proven wrong...

Hi there. I'm a theist. I'd be happy to hear your point of view because I really want to be proven wrong. Only problem is, you'd have to not use logic to prove me wrong, because then you'd have a circular argument.

Truth seeker.
08-07-2015, 01:25 AM
It is amazing the twists and turns some theists go through to try to prove what they profess to believe.

Sometimes I think it's because they know it's BS but they have a need to make it work by weaving fantastical stories.

Others (my daughter's mother-in-law for example) just don't ever bother to question anything and prefer to let someone else do the thinking for them. Then they buy into what ever story they are told.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-07-2015, 01:26 AM
(08-07-2015 01:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Hi there. I'm a theist. I'd be happy to hear your point of view because I really want to be proven wrong. Only problem is, you'd have to not use logic to prove me wrong, because then you'd have a circular argument.

Wondering atheist, meet Dildo who believes logic is circular.

logic definition

The branch of philosophy dealing with the principles of reasoning. Classical logic, as taught in ancient Greece and Rome, systematized rules for deduction. The modern scientific and philosophical logic of deduction has become closely allied to mathematics, especially in showing how the foundations of mathematics lie in logic.

The American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-07-2015, 01:29 AM
(08-07-2015 01:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It is amazing the twists and turns some theists go through to try to prove what they profess to believe.

Sometimes I think it's because they know it's BS but they have a need to make it work by weaving fantastical stories.

Others (my daughter's mother-in-law for example) just don't ever bother to question anything and prefer to let someone else do the thinking for them. Then they buy into what ever story they are told.

Whereas others believe what is true.

Truth seeker.
08-07-2015, 01:31 AM
(08-07-2015 01:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 01:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It is amazing the twists and turns some theists go through to try to prove what they profess to believe.

Whereas others believe what is true.

And pray tell, what would that be diddles?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-07-2015, 01:33 AM
(08-07-2015 01:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 01:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Whereas others believe what is true.

And pray tell, what would that be diddles?

That the Bible is an ultimate authority.

Truth seeker.
08-07-2015, 01:33 AM
(08-07-2015 01:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Whereas others believe what is true.

Blah blah blah.

"Talkin' loud, you ain't sayin' nothin', you ain't sayin' nothin'."
James Brown.

You still have not said anything that means anything.

And you fail to provide evidence. This fact does not go unnoticed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-07-2015, 01:41 AM
(08-07-2015 01:33 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  That the Bible is an ultimate authority.

So the quote from Matthew is factual?

Matthew 24:29 King James Version (KJV)

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Uh, I do not think so. And I am not alone.

[Image: IMG_183073959338498_zpsnxtem218.jpeg]

The Sombrero galaxy.

[Image: opo0328b.jpg]

Sombrero Galaxy
The Sombrero Galaxy is an unbarred spiral galaxy in the constellation Virgo located 28 million light-years from Earth. The galaxy has a diameter of approximately 50,000 light-years, 30% the size of the Milky Way. Wikipedia
Distance to Earth: 29,350,000 light years
Apparent mass: ~1 billion M☉
Magnitude: 8.98
Constellation: Virgo

Somehow I doubt those stars will fall to earth. Big Grin

Banjo.
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
08-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Welcome WanderingAtheist.
I see you've already met one of the village idiots.
We could sit down right now and make up the most fantastical story we could imagine.
We could fill it full of wizards and demons, gods, and prophets.
We could tell everyone we made it all up and that we think it's true anyway, and still there would be some people who would believe it.
People have an extraordinary capacity to want to believe tremendous amounts of bullshit.
It's also much harder to convince a person they have been fooled, than it is to fool them in the first place.
For me, the obsession comes from wanting so badly for them to see the man behind the curtain.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post