Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
Liberterians are common in my country and rather enjoyable people to talk with and have a debate. They are just the kind of folk like everyone else and if you talk to them about politics they always try to give the most reasonable possible account of things and arguments.
If you talk to a European liberterian about his ideology he or she will give you a correct and fairly decent amount of information about the ideologies origin as it sprung into existance during the era of the French and American revolution and will name several of it`s founding fathers and greatest minds such as the Scotish philosopher Adam Smith, the Welsh philosopher Richard Price and mention some success stories of liberterian political reforms. Pritty much the only exception is the stereotypical posh boy, who grew up in a rich household, never had to work a single day of his life until his mumy had financed him through college and thinks he is entitled to talk down to everyone with opposing opinions as if they were little children or servants.

All in all, just like everyone else with an opinion.

Now our media always portraid American liberterians as a bunch of screaching and screaming brainless rednecks, incapable of common sence and reasoning and constantly screaming into peoples faces rather than giving actual arguments. But since that is a media portrait, I didn`t trust the image and have therefor always tried to encounter liberterians from the US myself.
And .... well.... First of one of the most commonly used phrases by them must be "Hitler did that". Mostly used in reference to... pritty much anything. I frequently hear the phrase in conection to social healthcare, despite the fact that social healthcare was interduced in Germany 10 years before Hitler was even born and is not a marxist international, but Swedish invention. I also hear it frequently in conection with gun control, despite the fact that even the liberterian hero Margerte Thatcher interduced the 1988 Firearms Amendment act after the Hungerford Massacre, banning the sale and private ownership of semi automatic assault rifles. And despite the fact that Hitlers weapons regulations was not about "taking the guns away from all private citizen" but taking them from jews and members od democratic parties.
There is also never even a single explaination or rational argumentation for ideological stances, not a single actual philosopher is ever quoted or sited by them. Instead they keep quoting, the at best of mediocre quality, novelist Ayn Rand, of whom we here in Europe wouldnt even have heard of if we wouldnt have the internet.

But probably the worst example of this insanity, I encountered just a few hours ago when on a politics forum I am on, this thread was opend:

Quote:This question applies to legal adults only, not children:

Do you believe in seat belt laws?

a) Yes. They are nessisary to protect the public for their own good.
b) No. I'm a consenting adult and shouldn't have to wear one if I don't want to.

Discuss...

I felt confident in giving this reply:

Quote:Considering that after the introduction in my country, fatalities in car accidents went down by 70%, I believe I have the legitemate right to call everyone who opposes it a fanatic knownothing.

And was horrified to see that 7 of 20 people voted against seatbelt regulations and made comment like this:

Quote:To not wear a seat belt is silly if you care about your safety. They obviously save lives in a huge way.

BUT...I do not believe for one second that the government has the right to force you to wear them.

Quote:People, adults, constantly "break" all kinds of laws while driving. They speed, text, talk on phones.......

If you don't want to wear a seat belt - don't.

Quote:I agree totally with the idea that everybody should wear seat belts and that insurance policies should be able to price that in.
But in my opinion you might have the balance between individual freedoms vs state intervention into the affairs of the citizens a little too close to the authoritarian models of the state. This opinion is based more on your choice of words to judge others than on the use of seat belts.

Quote:Seat belt laws are huge attack on liberty and just another way for the government to take money from the productive class and transfer it to the leech class.

[Image: jackie%2Bchan%2Bmeme%2Bmy%2Bbrain%2Bis%2...%2Bwtf.png]

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like The Germans are coming's post
31-01-2014, 07:11 AM
RE: Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
The biggest problem for me when it comes to libertarians is that they always seem to think the freedom they want to give people should also be given to companies and corporations.
31-01-2014, 07:27 AM
I know people who hold such views and it is impossible to have a normal discussion with them. Utter frustration.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
31-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Re: Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
Lots of it stems from generation Y and the Generation Xers that they badger into submission with their insanity. Also the younger generation has much of the same problem. I do believe much of it is because people after generation X have pretty much been raised 24/7 with constant video and TV simulation. That pretty much leads to them wanting instant gratification in all facets of life. That's why the work ethic eroded, you have the occupy idiocy, folks who think Snowden and Manning are heros and in general a ton of faulty thinking. Hope that somewhat answers your question.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
31-01-2014, 07:39 AM
I say let them choose.

Natural selection FTW.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-01-2014, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 04:28 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Thread reopened and split to the viper's pit.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-01-2014, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 05:16 PM by Phil Hill.)
Re: RE: Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
(31-01-2014 04:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread reopened and split to the viper's pit.

The first post of the split belongs with my post on this thread. It was the replies to it by non readers that brought it off topic.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 05:08 PM
(31-01-2014 05:03 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  The first post of the split begins with my post on this thread. It was the replies to it by non readers that brought it off topic.

For holy fucks sake! Has anyone ever told you what an inflated ass you are!?

Should you have any opinion this matter why dont you just keep it to yourself!!!!!!!

If you want to talk anything here, then talk about the subject! This thread has already been drailed and there is no need to derail it simply because your pathetic fucking ego!

Now go and find a reason to continue breathing! I had enought and am going to but the gloves off should you continue this childish behavior!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
31-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Re: RE: Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
(31-01-2014 05:08 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 05:03 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  The first post of the split begins with my post on this thread. It was the replies to it by non readers that brought it off topic.

For holy fucks sake! Has anyone ever told you what an inflated ass you are!?

Should you have any opinion this matter why dont you just keep it to yourself!!!!!!!

If you want to talk anything here, then talk about the subject! This thread has already been drailed and there is no need to derail it simply because your pathetic fucking ego!

Now go and find a reason to continue breathing! I had enought and am going to but the gloves off should you continue this childish behavior!

Yes sir forum god..

Fucking asshole. Ever think of taking your own advice because of you really want to continue I will. Balls in your court...

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
31-01-2014, 05:14 PM
(31-01-2014 05:03 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 04:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread reopened and split to the viper's pit.

The first post of the split begins with my post on this thread. It was the replies to it by non readers that brought it off topic.

I understand that, but after carefully rereading it, I decided to make it first in the split to preserve somewhat the thead continuity.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon