Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: Why are American liberterians so absurdly insane?
I heard it put best in a joke.

Q: Why did the libertarian cross the road?
A: NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS! ARE YOU DETAINING ME?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-02-2014, 11:09 AM
(12-02-2014 10:18 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I heard it put best in a joke.

Q: Why did the libertarian cross the road?
A: NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS! ARE YOU DETAINING ME?

...if you want to have some good laughs, watch some the 'am i being detained' videos on youtube. It's sad though, that only libertarians seem to oppose internal checkpoints.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
And another joke, courtesy of Monty Python.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-02-2014, 02:52 PM
(12-02-2014 11:09 AM)toadaly Wrote:  It's sad though, that only libertarians seem to oppose internal checkpoints.

It's not limited to that. For example, in Los Angeles, like many cities, they signed a contract with a private, Arizona, for-profit corporation to install red-light traffic cams, which takes a cut in exchange for operating the cameras. However, the union refused to let the Arizona company install or maintain the cameras, so the city footed the bill, even though it also paid the Arizona company to do it. And California has a law prevent the city from sharing the revenue of tickets that are COLLECTED only, so LA sent the Arizona company a cut of all tickets ISSUED, even though most went unpaid so the city was PAYING $6 million/year MORE than it was collecting to have the red light cameras. Then you look at the rate of accidents, and you'll find they didn't prevent any accidents at all, and the accident rate got worse because, when they installed the red light cameras, they shortened the length of yellow lights in order to catch more drivers, and in so doing, CAUSED accidents.

The local libertarian group was up in arms over such a STUPID system. Everybody assumed the red light cams were there to generate money. When they found that the cash-strapped city was actually GIVING AWAY precious tax dollars to pay for these things that were CAUSING accidents, one of them did some digging and uncovered that it was, basically, the result of lobbying and shady misappropriations. So he started a campaign and petitioned the city commissioners. But nobody gave a fuck. Libertarians were outraged, but everybody else didn't care. Eventually, he managed to get the traffic cams thrown out by changing tactics and claiming LA shouldn't send so much money to an Arizona company given Arizona's stance on undocumented immigrants. And THAT's how LA got rid of its traffic cams.

I really think being libertarian has nothing to do with left or right or any political ideology. It just means you think for yourself and question the status quo.
13-02-2014, 07:41 AM
(12-02-2014 02:52 PM)frankksj Wrote:  I really think being libertarian has nothing to do with left or right or any political ideology. It just means you think for yourself and question the status quo.
Yep. And you break up with people who oppress you, unless they stop. Including the family. And we treat our children non-violently, as persons. Because if we don't do that, liberty is just a verbal hobby.

Yeah, libertarians are right to oppose internal checkpoints and corrupt public contracts. We just need to discriminate if they're wasting publically stolen money of if they're just small things. We should oppose the more serious things first. Maybe internal checkpoints are just a secular equivalent of nativity scene in front of a fire station.