Why are Atheists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Why are Atheists afraid of death?
So I've recently lost my faith in religions and became an atheist and naturally I started to think about death a lot. I mean, if you're religious, the issue of death doesn't nag at you for your entire life because you have an all-convenient reassurance that life continues after death. But if you're an atheist?? Life suddenly loses all of its meaning and you're left pondering what the purpose of anything is. As an ex-religious person, it's easy to see why religion is able to have such a strong grasp on so many people. It's a terrifying ordeal to have to deal with death for what it is. Atheists seem to be the more intelligent and logical people who see the inconsistencies of religion and simply accept the fact that they don't know what happens after death or they just accept the harsh reality that we are gone forever once we die. Some atheists have completely accepted their mortality and may say something like "if you're not even conscious of your own unconsciousness, you have nothing to worry about."

But something about this whole notion of death bothered me. Not because it scared me, but because it started to make less and less sense the more I thought about it (similar to how I lost faith in religion). Most atheists see death as the ultimate end to our lives... an eternal state of darkness. But if you think about it, this can only be true if we have a unique, metaphysical quality such as a soul. If we died and truly remained unconscious forever like we think we will, that would mean we were each assigned a soul that had the opportunity to see the world for a split second and then went back to sleep. But atheists don't believe in souls... that is a religious concept. So why are atheists afraid of death? You can say you're afraid of the death of your 'ego', which is everything that makes you "you," (your talents, physical characteristics, personality, etc.) but to say you're afraid of the death of your ability to experience and be conscious of reality? That's an assertion that's not even logical to begin with if you really think about it. It's logical to assume that when we die our consciousness, or simply our ability to experience reality, lives on in SOME form (most likely not in it's current form). Ultimately, if you die, you're not going to become lifeless soul forever sleeping in darkness... you're going to be simply "nothing" at all. How can nothing "experience" anything? If we are "nothing" we may as well just be anything else that is conscious in the universe.

But who will we be next? How exactly does consciousness live on? Well that's an entirely different issue with a lot of different speculations and theories, but the one that makes the most sense is that we are in fact all conscious beings experiencing life one at a time. This addresses the issue of how there are multiple, different conscious beings in the universe and how new ones are coming into being. We are simply all of them (obviously we can't understand how this works but there is a lot of truth to this). I think Alan Watts explains what I'm trying to explain fairly well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRrCYPxD0I

But how consciousness continues is just theory at this point. The main point i'm trying to address here is that logically life continues on after death simply because of the fact that we can't be aware of our own unconsciousness. It won't be the same life... that's what we're conditioned to believe in... that if life does indeed continue after death, that it will be in the same manner as it is now. But our egos will most likely die forever. It's our consciousness and ability to experience the world that won't. You don't need faith to believe in life after death... just logic. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2014, 11:24 PM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
[Image: colin-farrell.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 20 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-04-2014, 11:29 PM
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap Hooray! A new troll! Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 5 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
14-04-2014, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2014 05:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  So I've recently lost my faith in religions and became an atheist and naturally I started to think about death a lot. I mean, if you're religious, the issue of death doesn't nag at you for your entire life because you have an all-convenient reassurance that life continues after death.

Wrong. Religionists worry about going to hell a lot.

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  But if you're an atheist?? Life suddenly loses all of its meaning and you're left pondering what the purpose of anything is.

Wrong. You find what you will assign meaning to, and find meaning in.

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  As an ex-religious person, it's easy to see why religion is able to have such a strong grasp on so many people. It's a terrifying ordeal to have to deal with death for what it is. Atheists seem to be the more intelligent and logical people who see the inconsistencies of religion and simply accept the fact that they don't know what happens after death or they just accept the harsh reality that we are gone forever once we die. Some atheists have completely accepted their mortality and may say something like "if you're not even conscious of your own unconsciousness, you have nothing to worry about."

But something about this whole notion of death bothered me. Not because it scared me, but because it started to make less and less sense the more I thought about it (similar to how I lost faith in religion). Most atheists see death as the ultimate end to our lives... an eternal state of darkness. But if you think about it, this can only be true if we have a unique, metaphysical quality such as a soul.

Utterly false. That makes no sense. At death the processes in the brain that produce consciousness cease, and that's the end of that person. It has nothing whatever to do with a "soul". Chemical processes stop. Period. No mystery involved at all.

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  If we died and truly remained unconscious forever like we think we will, that would mean we were each assigned a soul that had the opportunity to see the world for a split second and then went back to sleep. But atheists don't believe in souls... that is a religious concept. So why are atheists afraid of death?

Clearly you are either NOT an atheist or know none. Atheists do not fear death. It's a stupid question based on a false premise.

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  That's an assertion that's not even logical to begin with if you really think about it. It's logical to assume that when we die our consciousness, or simply our ability to experience reality, lives on in SOME form (most likely not in it's current form).

You're not really an atheist are you ? Obviously you know nothing about human brains or basic Biology. It's most ILLOGICAL to think there is a post-mortem continuation of consciousness as there is no mechanism for it to continue. YOU have not proposed one. Neuro-science is well on it's way to discovering what consciousness consists in.
(It requires a healthy functioning brain). Humans with brain injuries are not conscious. That alone should tell you something. The unique patterns of your brain chemistry and genetics makes it MOST logical that you are you only once, and without the EXACT same gene patterns you would not "experience" anything "the same".

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  But how consciousness continues is just theory at this point. The main point i'm trying to address here is that logically life continues on after death simply because of the fact that we can't be aware of our own unconsciousness. It won't be the same life... that's what we're conditioned to believe in... that if life does indeed continue after death, that it will be in the same manner as it is now. But our egos will most likely die forever. It's our consciousness and ability to experience the world that won't. You don't need faith to believe in life after death... just logic. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

My thoughts ? It's complete bullshit. You need a science education.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 14 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2014, 11:44 PM
What he needs is a little lesson from Jim Jeffries.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 9 users Like Minimalist's post
14-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Leefboy.

I think you are trolling. You gave yourself away within 3 lines.

Your idiotic statement that if you're an atheist life loses it's meaning is a dead give away.

As an atheist who has nearly died twice in the last 8 days, I can assure you life has meaning for me. It is the only one I will ever know and I treasure it greatly.

Now stop pretending to be something you are not, and stop bothering us.

Such a transparent thread. If not a troll the only other possibility I take seriously would be a moderator or admin attempting to liven up a quiet forum.

So, which is it?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 8 users Like Banjo's post
15-04-2014, 12:14 AM
(14-04-2014 11:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Leefboy.

Your idiotic statement that if you're an atheist life loses it's meaning is a dead give away.

As an atheist who has nearly died twice in the last 8 days, I can assure you life has meaning for me. It is the only one I will ever know and I treasure it greatly.

Such a transparent thread. If not a troll the only other possibility I take seriously would be a moderator or admin attempting to liven up a quiet forum.

So, which is it?

No I am not trolling this is a very serious question and you clearly didn't read my entire post let alone understand what I'm even trying to say. I'm not here to debate about the meaning of life. From a purely objective point of view, life ultimately has no meaning. You can argue with me all day that you GIVE your life some kind of temporary meaning but that's a different argument and it's not even what i'm trying to address here. I'm trying to point out the misconceptions atheists seem to have about death. Please read my post first before calling me a troll.
15-04-2014, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 12:31 AM by LadyJane.)
I am 100% not afraid of death, I am about as afraid of that as I am about the day before I was conceived.

I don't *want* to die though because I cherish this glimpsing feeling of the present consciousness (while I am alive) of a seemingly unconscious universe. I treasure and relish in the opportunity to be aware of everything and enjoy the opportunity to know it all before... nothing. (Nothing is not scary, it's nothing).
[+] 7 users Like LadyJane's post
15-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Ok.

We are little beings on a floating rock. Is there a real meaning to life? I think the meaning of life is for life to exist. Life is a struggle. Something we all know. For me I have no trouble. Although I did once seriously consider suicide. Seriously standing on the rail of a bridge. I stepped off.

I am happy I did because my life has been wonderful. My adult life has been surrounded by interesting people.

As an atheist life enhances meaning because there is no second chance. Theism takes away the meaning of this life by placing emphasis on the next. Christianity and Islam are death cults and by definition are negative and anti life.

Atheism is pro life.

I suggest you ponder this some more.

I remain unconvinced you are not trolling. Mate, I've seen it all before.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
15-04-2014, 12:38 AM
(15-04-2014 12:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 11:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Leefboy.

So, which is it?

No I am not trolling this is a very serious question and you clearly didn't read my entire post let alone understand what I'm even trying to say. I'm not here to debate about the meaning of life. From a purely objective point of view, life ultimately has no meaning. You can argue with me all day that you GIVE your life some kind of temporary meaning but that's a different argument and it's not even what i'm trying to address here. I'm trying to point out the misconceptions atheists seem to have about death. Please read my post first before calling me a troll.

Atheists don't have "misconceptions" about death. I work in a hospital. I've seen a lot of people die. Religious people and non-religious people. Your crap assertions about what you falsely think atheists think are just that. Have you done a poll of atheists ? How many do you actually know ? What gives you the right to think you know how they think ? You're projecting your own opinions on others. You may not be a troll, but your posts are just as worthless. So are the posts of the idiot you reference on YouTube. He provided not a shred of evidence for anything he said.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post