Why are Atheists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-04-2014, 09:08 PM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
(18-04-2014 08:37 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  This Alan Watts character has a pleasant voice and shitty sense of logic. I give the whole video no credence whatsoever.

That said, Mark Twain once wrote something along the lines of already having been dead once, for the billions of years before he was born, he was not at all put off by it (that's probably a lousy paraphrase).

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years
before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
19-04-2014, 11:36 PM
This place is never better than when we band together as one to repel ignorance.

Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
20-04-2014, 01:34 AM
I am so tired - Sleepy
I swear I read the title of this thread as: Why are Satanists afraid of death?

Ironically, I think the one thing that keeps theists so tightly under control is fear of their own mortality. It's another reason they can't seem to fathom atheists to be anything other than grim.
No wonder we're always angry. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-04-2014, 05:48 AM
What's there to be afraid of? It's not like any of us are going to Hell, because you know, it doesn't exist...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-10-2014, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 10:15 PM by DLJ.)
That thread intrigued me so much, that I decided to make an account only so I can comment.

First of all:
Quote: The dark trolls (a.k.a. dark forest trolls[3]) are the tallest and rarest known species of trollkind.[1] Some have decided to classify this species as the fifth category of trolls.[4]

Dark trolls are ancestors of Night elves[5], and during the Battle of Mount Hyjal a clan of dark trolls joined the night elves and fought against the Burning Legion, helping for the salvation of Azeroth.

I am a Role Player, and a self-proclaimed philosopher. I am not here to give facts or proof, I am here to give a few theories which I came up which may, but most likely are not true.

Continuing on, I have noticed that many require proof or call the thread's creator's words fallacy. Let me get you 'enlightened' on how you have to think so you can understand. Its very simple!

Just because you do not see, and you do not believe that there is a glass window wall in front of you while exiting the super-market, it does not means that it isn't there. And just because you see and you believe that there is an ice-berg in the middle of the desert it does not means that it really is there. If you head straight there, you will find. Of course, there is an exception 1 in count a trilion zeros then a nine that there REALLY is an ice berg in the desert, but those are very rare occasions, don't count on it. Only time and effort will tell if it is there or if it isn't. Gladly, with the glass window, it is quick to tell you that it is there, and you don't have to walk a few kilometers to understand that.

Further, it is not that you can not understand him, but the problem is, that you misunderstand him. To sound as rude as I can be, you are foolish for not attempting to realize what he is saying, even if it is bullshit. Let me rephrase some words, because d'at boy really took a wrong turn in understanding. What he is trying to say happens to be, that there is a collective sub-consciousness. Or at least, that is how I understand it. As in, with the ants. If you take the queen, and carry it far away, the nest will continue on functioning. But if you kill the queen, the nest right away stops functioning and dies out. Like that, but with the exception that the collective sub-consciousness has no queen.

The theory of Collective sub-consciousness gives meaning to why intuition exists. One whom have never shot a gun before, grabs one, and hits six out of six times in the center can not explain how they did that except with 'intuition'. If, intuition happens to be when the consciousness,the person enters in a mind state where they draw information from the collective sub-consciousness, then things come together quite well.

And while reading this thread, I came to realize the continuation of that theory, and why there is a collective sub-consciousness, if there is such at all. To start us with, " Energy is never lost. It goes from one form to another ". The law of conversation of energy give us support to the theory. Our brains are large energy consumers, and we do not even use all of it. We use only two to three percent, and only the geniuses of our world, such as Einstein have reached up to five percent. I, myself, have tried this, and tested my brain with a two hour run on the game Axon when I have just finished a good meal. I couldn't finish and stopped at about hour and twenty five minutes, with a craving for anything sweet, or any vegetable as a whole. Chocolate, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, cake, berries of any kind! BUT! At a miserable twist of events, my brother ate my SevenDays Swiss Roll with which I was going to reward myself after the experiment. I was left with NOTHING except sugar... I drank a glass of water with about five spoons of it, and had a headache for the rest of the day. But enough focusing on the past.

By following the law of conversation of energy, all that energy which the brain have been supported with throughout the years suddenly disappears, or more like, during our lives, it is momentarily used, for apparently no effect on our surroundings, or so I believe. I am no brain scientist, A.K.A. Neurolog. Even if a lot of the power is used to make chemicals and such, there still seems to me that energy is lost. Thus comes the theory that the subconsciousness uses some of our energy to reassure that it passes and takes information in and from the collective subconsciousness.

Mind you, take all of this with a grain of salt, not the whole salt shaker. Don't go bitter on my ass because you poured it whole.

But over all, thats just a theory, a game theory, thanks for reading. ( Reference )

PS: Its not a game theory? Life's but just a game.
31-10-2014, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 10:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Girly ain't afraid of shit, bitch. Drinking Beverage
We all gonna die fool. You scared? Girly ain't. ... you fucking pussy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2014, 06:11 AM
(31-10-2014 07:20 PM)Dark_Troll Wrote:  By following the law of conversation of energy, all that energy which the brain have been supported with throughout the years suddenly disappears, or more like, during our lives, it is momentarily used, for apparently no effect on our surroundings, or so I believe. I am no brain scientist, A.K.A. Neurolog. Even if a lot of the power is used to make chemicals and such, there still seems to me that energy is lost. Thus comes the theory that the subconsciousness uses some of our energy to reassure that it passes and takes information in and from the collective subconsciousness.
Put baking soda and vinegar together. Chemical reaction! Then the reaction stops. Where did the energy go? It transformed into another form but that's all. It's still around. When you die, the chemical process that is every thought and emotion, everything you've ever been from the point of view of consciousness, ceases. Your existence ten billion years from now is most similar to your existence ten billion years ago. Earth didn't exist back then and won't in the future.

As for the OP worrying about uniqueness...
Number of states a neuron can be in: 3 (sending a signal, recieving a signal, neither).
Number of neurons in the human brain: 86 billion.
Number of possible combinations: 3 ^ 86,000,000,000 (no idea what this works out as, I'm on my cell).
Number of humans to ever live: 150,000,000,000 (over estimate).
Conclusion: there have not been and will likely never be enough humans to have ever existed to just explore all the possible combinations of neurons, and this doesn't take into account that experience matters, too. Uniqueness is a given.

For the record, I'm terrified of death. Trying to get help with that. I think I have an over-developed sense of self preservation. I'd be just as terrified (maybe more so) if I thought there was an afterlife that was determined by this one.
01-11-2014, 06:20 AM
I am afraid of death. Cesation of existence is the worst thing that i can both vicerally understand and deam possible.

There are also things I'm more scared of; table set circular saws, hair dressers, public speaking, heights. None of them occupy my thoughts often and I refuse to let any of them determine my beliefs or shape my behaviour.

And I have no idea what the hell OP is talking about.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-11-2014, 02:15 AM
Yea atheists are so terrified of death that we invented personal gods to judge our fate of their provided eternity.

Wait that wasn't us!!!
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post