Why are Atheists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-04-2014, 12:44 AM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
My life only has meaning for me and I am okay with that. To assume that your life needs to have some sort of meaning or that you're so important that you need some big purpose that affects your whole world seems stupid and arrogant. What do we give? What do we have to offer? Nothing. We aren't like the sun or the plants we don't have some special purpose that helps keep the world spinning. We're just here. We can give ourselves and each other purpose and that's about it. Learn to be okay with that. Try not to take everything so seriously, and like magic you no longer fear death.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Losty's post
15-04-2014, 12:57 AM
People can be 'afraid' of death whether they are an atheist or a theist because it is an instinct to avoid that promotes survival. It is why some people who are suicidal, who wish their lives to be over every minute of every day aren't always able to actually commit suicide.

Atheists aren't afraid of an after-life.

The OP seems to think that a consciousness exists in an unconscious state for eternity much like being permanently asleep. Have you ever been under general anesthetic? That's more like death. If it was done properly then brain activity was reduced to such an extent that you weren't aware of your surroundings during the operation or the scalpel slicing through your flesh.

Realising that this is the only life you have gives you good reason to find some meaning to your daily existence while you still can. It's only you that give you meaning to your own life.
[+] 8 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 12:59 AM
My take on death:

1) I've seen it and I'm no longer afraid of it. Might even reconnect with him one day; just to see what's up. Ask him how the kids are; that whole thing.

2) When I'm dead, I won't be alive to know that I'm dead. Life is truly all I'll ever know. I see no reason to be upset about something I'll never consciously experience.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Misanthropik's post
15-04-2014, 01:13 AM
It warms my heart reading the comments here. Great minds think alike! Here's my version...

Heaven, the unproven promise of an eternal theme park in the sky, is an insult to our intelligence. Some claim that to hope for it is harmless, but I think the idea degrades the value of the one and only life we’ll ever have; the one we’re living right now. Who remembers what it was like to be a young child? Picture yourself running around a playground. We didn’t waste time worrying about God, heaven or why we are here. We were too busy exploring every nook and cranny of our world, were unhindered by our experiences, expressed ourselves openly, and weren’t afraid of being judged. We accepted life with wide-open arms, didn’t deny our emotions, and weren’t cynical or opinionated. We lived in the present, and were thoroughly happy.

I contend people should embrace the here and now. When we do that, life has more meaning: the taste of food, a glass of good wine, a friend’s smile, a string quartet or a Miles Davis ballad can be enjoyed because they’re real and temporary. To experience the pleasure of the present, and stop worrying about consequences, can be like coming out of a trance. It’s about being receptive to the full gamut of the human experience, and that helps us feel more alive.

The promise of paradise robs people of the pleasure of living in the present. The ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus knew that life should be all about the journey, the here and now, not an imaginary destination, which is why we don’t need gods, beliefs, and creeds; we need to let them go! (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/).

There’s nothing supernatural after death. “Heaven” is here and now, and is what we create on earth through love. Hell is also here; it’s what happens when we hate our fellow man. When it turns out there’s no god and no afterlife, it won’t matter, because we’ll be dead! Mark Twain knew this.
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-04-2014, 01:18 AM
(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. Religionists worry about going to hell a lot.

Just an introduction paragraph. Irrelevant to my main point

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. You find what you will assign meaning to, and find meaning in.

Again, irrelevant. But I'm actually arguing FOR life having a meaning if you actually understood my post.

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Utterly false. That makes no sense. At death the processes in the brain that produce consciousness cease, and that's the end of that person. It has nothing whatever to do with a "soul". Chemical processes stop. Period. No mystery involved at all.

This is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clearly you are either NOT an atheist or know none. Atheist do not fear death. It's a stupid question based on a false premise.

I WAS an atheist. I'm not anymore. I'm somewhere in between religion and atheism. And my mistake I should've asked why are SOME atheists afraid of death? Or why do Atheists believe that death is the end? Obviously not all atheists are afraid of death but all of them believe that death is the end

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're not really an atheist are you ? Obviously you know nothing about human brains or basic Biology. It's most ILLOGICAL to think there is a post-mortem continuation of consciousness as there is no mechanism for it to continue. YOU have not proposed one. Neuro-science is well on it's way to discovering what consciousness consists in. Humans with brain injuries are not conscious. That alone should tell you something. The unique patterns of your brain chemistry and genetics makes it MOST logical that you are you only once, and without the EXACT same gene patterns you would not "experience" anything "the same".

Again, I'm not an atheist. I just didn't know where else to post this except in a forum where there are people who think exactly like you. Obviously, consciousness is part of our brain and ceases to be once we die. That's science and I am not arguing against that. In fact, nothing about what I'm saying is scientific. All I'm trying to say is that if we don't have a soul that "carries" our consciousness, how can we remain unconscious forever? The BODY that we have now will definitely lose its consciousness, but you won't exist anymore to hold on to that state of unconsciousness. So naturally, we become the next thing that's conscious... like a new baby that's born. There's no difference between the consciousness of this new baby and the consciousness you have now, even though it SEEMS like it does. This only sounds crazy because as humans we are limited to thinking like humans.
15-04-2014, 01:28 AM
(15-04-2014 12:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 12:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  No I am not trolling this is a very serious question and you clearly didn't read my entire post let alone understand what I'm even trying to say. I'm not here to debate about the meaning of life. From a purely objective point of view, life ultimately has no meaning. You can argue with me all day that you GIVE your life some kind of temporary meaning but that's a different argument and it's not even what i'm trying to address here. I'm trying to point out the misconceptions atheists seem to have about death. Please read my post first before calling me a troll.

Atheists don't have "misconceptions" about death. I work in a hospital. I've seen a lot of people die. Religious people and non-religious people. Your crap assertions about what you falsely think atheists think are just that. Have you done a poll of atheists ? How many do you actually know ? What gives you the right to think you know how they think ? You're projecting your own opinions on others. You may not be a troll, but your posts are just as worthless. So are the posts of the idiot you reference on YouTube. He provided not a shred of evidence for anything he said.

Everything I'm saying is not science. It's philosophy I don't have to provide evidence. I don't know every atheist in the world but it's pretty safe to say that most of them believe that death is the end to everything right? I don't understand how my post is worthless I'm really just trying to offer my viewpoint on death particularly to atheists who believe or are afraid that death is the permanent end to everything
15-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Leefboy.

You are making up stories.

You are also full of shit and a troll.

First you are an atheist, then you are not.

I will tell you what you are: You are a Christian who came here to show us up. But you are less intelligent and delusional.

Bow to your betters and apologise.

I was never religious. Atheist from birth. And I am glad of it.

I do like the Greco Roman gods though. The Hebrew one is too badly written.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-04-2014, 01:40 AM
(15-04-2014 01:28 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  Everything I'm saying is not science.

No, it is make believe.

make-believe[ meyk-bi-leev ]
noun
1. pretense, especially of an innocent or playful kind; feigning; sham: the make-believe of children playing.
2. a pretender; a person who pretends.
adjective
1. pretended; feigned; imaginary; made-up; unreal: a make-believe world of fantasy.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
15-04-2014, 01:41 AM
(15-04-2014 01:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Utterly false. That makes no sense. At death the processes in the brain that produce consciousness cease, and that's the end of that person. It has nothing whatever to do with a "soul". Chemical processes stop. Period. No mystery involved at all.

This is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

Can you explain this further please because no one here actually understands this. Telling us to think about it won't help if you are wrong will it? And you can't ever know for sure that you are not wrong so it's always helpful to try to explain your position. And if it's very hard to explain then perhaps you're not as sure as you think you are.

My best guess is that you are thinking of consciousness as some kind of energy pattern or something that can exist outside of the brain as a soul. You then think, well atheists believe it stops at death so they must believe it exists in the first place therefore they must think of it as a soul going into sleep mode.

Correct me if I am wrong because that's the only thing I can think of to explain where you are coming from.

If it is what you are thinking then the flaw is in your assumption that consciousness is something that exists outside of the brain. It's like saying that music can exist without anything to produce sound waves because it has soul.

Consciousness is an emergent phenomenon. A good way to think about emergent phenomena is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. A typical example would be an ants nest. It's made up of lots of really simple components (ants) but collectively they produce really complex intelligent behaviours. But if you take away each ant over time eventually you end up without an ants nest and without any intelligent behaviour.

If you need convincing then ask someone who has to watch a patient slowly deteriorate from a neurodegenerative disease.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 01:44 AM
(15-04-2014 01:30 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Leefboy.

You are making up stories.

You are also full of shit and a troll.

First you are an atheist, then you are not.

I will tell you what you are: You are a Christian who came here to show us up. But you are less intelligent and delusional.

Bow to your betters and apologise.

I was never religious. Atheist from birth. And I am glad of it.

I do like the Greco Roman gods though. The Hebrew one is too badly written.

I actually hate religions. I'm not religious or atheist. I'm somewhere in between. All I'm trying to do is point out how atheists' notion of death doesn't make any sense to me