Why are Atheists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-04-2014, 01:47 AM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
(15-04-2014 01:28 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  Everything I'm saying is not science. It's philosophy I don't have to provide evidence.

And with that sentence you've just convinced the entire forum that it's not worth talking to you.

Philosophy is pointless if it does not ultimately discuss things that are relevant to the real world somehow. Otherwise it's just mental masturbation.

It also means that any belief in a god or afterlife that stems from philosophy that does not require any form of evidence need not be taken seriously by anyone else. After all, why should they? It was all made up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Leefboy if that is so, you need to frame your ideas as subjective thoughts, not absolutes.

That is discussion 101.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
15-04-2014, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 09:53 AM by LadyJane.)
(15-04-2014 01:44 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 01:30 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Leefboy.

You are making up stories.

You are also full of shit and a troll.

First you are an atheist, then you are not.

I will tell you what you are: You are a Christian who came here to show us up. But you are less intelligent and delusional.

Bow to your betters and apologise.

I was never religious. Atheist from birth. And I am glad of it.

I do like the Greco Roman gods though. The Hebrew one is too badly written.

I actually hate religions. I'm not religious or atheist. I'm somewhere in between. All I'm trying to do is point out how atheists' notion of death doesn't make any sense to me

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it not true. Your approach is *telling* atheists how to think instead of asking. (Also, if you do ask, ask more than one to get a bigger picture or understanding). Don't you think many have explored the concepts you're laying out over and over? This forum alone has threads and threads of this topic, nothing you've said is new news... it's very old and debunk.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
15-04-2014, 01:57 AM
(15-04-2014 01:44 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 01:30 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Leefboy.

You are making up stories.

You are also full of shit and a troll.

First you are an atheist, then you are not.

I will tell you what you are: You are a Christian who came here to show us up. But you are less intelligent and delusional.

Bow to your betters and apologise.

I was never religious. Atheist from birth. And I am glad of it.

I do like the Greco Roman gods though. The Hebrew one is too badly written.

I actually hate religions. I'm not religious or atheist. I'm somewhere in between. All I'm trying to do is point out how atheists' notion of death doesn't make any sense to me

It doesn't make any sense because you are fundamentally misunderstanding what our standpoint on death actually is, specifically the issue of consciousness.

Your equation with considering consciousness to be like a soul simply because it is "personal and unique" is nonsensical. Souls are immaterial "essences" independent and sovereign from any of your physiology, as well as personal and unique to you. Consciousness is also immaterial in itself, but is VERY dependent upon physical processes, specifically chemical reactions in your brain. When that physical processor shuts off, consciousness dies with it since it depended upon the physical processes to exist. It is also personal and unique to you.

Therefore:
1. Being personal and unique is not a criteria specific to souls, so it is not an indicator that another concept is analogous to such just because it shares this condition.
2. Although also immaterial, all available data suggests that consciousness is also COMPLETELY dependent upon the processes that occur within the brain. Souls, classically speaking, are not dependent upon natural physiology, and are entities autonomous from the biological processes of the body, hence why the biological body dying doesn't "kill "them. It does, however, sure as fuck kill consciousness if you follow the logic.

QED: Consciousness≠Soul

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
15-04-2014, 02:01 AM
(15-04-2014 01:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. Religionists worry about going to hell a lot.

Just an introduction paragraph. Irrelevant to my main point

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. You find what you will assign meaning to, and find meaning in.

Again, irrelevant. But I'm actually arguing FOR life having a meaning if you actually understood my post.

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Utterly false. That makes no sense. At death the processes in the brain that produce consciousness cease, and that's the end of that person. It has nothing whatever to do with a "soul". Chemical processes stop. Period. No mystery involved at all.

This is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clearly you are either NOT an atheist or know none. Atheist do not fear death. It's a stupid question based on a false premise.

I WAS an atheist. I'm not anymore. I'm somewhere in between religion and atheism. And my mistake I should've asked why are SOME atheists afraid of death? Or why do Atheists believe that death is the end? Obviously not all atheists are afraid of death but all of them believe that death is the end

(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're not really an atheist are you ? Obviously you know nothing about human brains or basic Biology. It's most ILLOGICAL to think there is a post-mortem continuation of consciousness as there is no mechanism for it to continue. YOU have not proposed one. Neuro-science is well on it's way to discovering what consciousness consists in. Humans with brain injuries are not conscious. That alone should tell you something. The unique patterns of your brain chemistry and genetics makes it MOST logical that you are you only once, and without the EXACT same gene patterns you would not "experience" anything "the same".

Again, I'm not an atheist. I just didn't know where else to post this except in a forum where there are people who think exactly like you. Obviously, consciousness is part of our brain and ceases to be once we die. That's science and I am not arguing against that. In fact, nothing about what I'm saying is scientific. All I'm trying to say is that if we don't have a soul that "carries" our consciousness, how can we remain unconscious forever? The BODY that we have now will definitely lose its consciousness, but you won't exist anymore to hold on to that state of unconsciousness. So naturally, we become the next thing that's conscious... like a new baby that's born. There's no difference between the consciousness of this new baby and the consciousness you have now, even though it SEEMS like it does. This only sounds crazy because as humans we are limited to thinking like humans.

"So I've recently lost my faith in religions and became an atheist"
"Again, I'm not an atheist."

So, you're either confused (unlikely) or a liar. We don't like liars here. Most of 'em have turned out to be Christians pretending they're not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Exactly Mark. Like I said, Leefboy is a troll. I can tell and I'm barely conscious! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-04-2014, 02:09 AM
I don't know why the minority of atheists who are afraid of death fear it. Why do you fear it, Mr. Theist?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
15-04-2014, 02:38 AM
(15-04-2014 01:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  ...
This is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

Try some of this.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-04-2014, 02:51 AM
(15-04-2014 02:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 01:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  ...

Try some of this.

Jeebus that's deep.

I'm not smart enough to get it. Not tonight , anyway.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
15-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Having read the OP and the rest of this thread I cannot tell if this is a troll or a new fledgling atheist still wrestling with some indoctrinated issues. I hope the later but time will tell.

Just for the record, as an atheist, I do not fear death as it will be no different to before I was born. Or as Jim Jefferies so eloquently put it 'I won't know I'm dead as I'll be fucking dead'.

But, I fear the process of death and how it may happen to me. Like most people I would prefer to die peacefully in my sleep but it probably won't be like that and I may contract a terminal illness or just slowly deteriorate from old age or there are a variety of other horrible possibilities which will result in my death. I may suffer pain for a length of time before death, this is a scary prospect and not one I relish. But it is also not something I dwell on and is only a passing thought from time to time.

Knowing that the end is just that, the end of me, I try and enjoy as much as I can while I have the consciousness to enjoy it. I have a wonderful daughter whose company I adore, I have a loving and supportive family and some amazing friends who have cushioned my falls more than once and I try and do the same for them. I feel very lucky to have these things and that is what gives my life meaning. We all have to find our own individual meaning in whatever circumstances we find ourselves in as that is the only 'meaning of life'. Trying to figure out whether some sky fairy has a purpose for us is just wasting the time you have.

Besides if there were a sky fairy and he/she/it did have a purpose then surely it would have made it abundantly clear and not hidden it in all the mystery bullshit that people mentally tie themselves up in. So stop wasting your experience trying to figure out what a made up, imaginary being has planned and go and figure out your own meaning and live it.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 4 users Like Eva's post