Cool story, bro. Needs more dragon.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2014, 04:46 AM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
Leefboy.

You have said and been quoted as saying you are an atheist and non atheist.

I get the feeling those who have since responded in depth have not read the entire thread (always wise to read the entire thread).

As it stands you are considered a liar and Christian in disguise who has come here to troll.

Why have you said you are an atheist, and then said you are not an atheist?

Forget everything else. Answer that!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2014, 06:00 AM
(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  So I've recently lost my faith in religions and became an atheist and naturally I started to think about death a lot. I mean, if you're religious, the issue of death doesn't nag at you for your entire life because you have an all-convenient reassurance that life continues after death. But if you're an atheist?? Life suddenly loses all of its meaning and you're left pondering what the purpose of anything is...

[Image: concerned_trollcat.jpg]

Moving on...
15-04-2014, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 07:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  That is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

Bullshit. This crap belongs on a forum for woo-woo. Assertion of something without demonstration or evidence is worthless. Your assertion is worthless. I DO NOT believe in a "soul". You saying "think about it" is an explanation of NOTHING except your idiocy and stupidity. "Think about it" means "I know this sounds like crap but agree with me anyway". My consciousness IS "personal and unique" to me. It arises as a result of MY sensory input, (I trust you have enough science to get what those words mean), and the input into MY senses, (my eyes, ears, etc.) being rapidly referenced to MY memory in MY brain and MY brain chemicals producing the sensation of consciousness. THAT requires NO "soul", AND you saying it does, without DEMONSTRATING WHY AND HOW is pure and complete bullshit. Please read the BASICS :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconsciousness "Unconsciousness" requires a living functioning brain, just as much as consciousness does. Your entire nonsense is built on a false premise, and a misunderstanding of what "unconsciousness" even is, you ignorant fool. People who are dead are NOT "unconscious". Unconsciousness requires a living brain as much as "consciousness" does. Facepalm

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  Again, I'm not an atheist. I just didn't know where else to post this except in a forum where there are people who think exactly like you. Obviously, consciousness is part of our brain and ceases to be once we die. That's science and I am not arguing against that. In fact, nothing about what I'm saying is scientific. All I'm trying to say is that if we don't have a soul that "carries" our consciousness, how can we remain unconscious forever?

Right. You think because we are atheists we buy into ANY non-religious shit. Well guess what ? Above all we are SKEPTICS. Your bullshit is bullshit. It's very clear you have no background in science. Consciousness is not a "part" of the brain. It ARISES (ie *results from*) as a RESULT of healthy normal brain activity. You have not proposed an alternate mechanism nor provided a shred of evidence that your idea has any validity, or that even ONE brain scientist buys into your utter nonsense. Consciousness does not exist APART from the brain. If it did, people with injured brains would still be conscious AND their MRI and PET scans would STILL show evidence of normal consciousness. You DO know what MRI and PET scans are I hope. Oh you don't ? Weeping You have MISUNDERSTOOD something VERY BASIC about death, and the definition of "unconsciousness", and attempted to re-define it. As a result you have come up with one of the MOST idiotic notions ever proposed here.

You show us and tell us how and why "consciousness and unconsciousness" exist apart from brains, and give us the EVIDENCE for that, and then you may have a point. You can't and you won't. You are not "unconscious forever" at death. No one has ever once said that or agreed that is true, and you have not demonstrated that to BE true. Cessation of brain function means you are NEITHER "conscious" NOR "unconscious". "Unconsciousness" REQUIRES a normal healthy functioning brain as much as "consciousness" does. You never took even ONE course in Biology or Psychology did you ?

You are just another totally ignorant pathetic YouTube troll who cooked up a novel, un-thought-out idea, which has NOT a shred of evidence in science or anywhere else, and expects others to buy into it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2014, 06:25 AM
(15-04-2014 01:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 11:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clearly you are either NOT an atheist or know none. Atheist do not fear death. It's a stupid question based on a false premise.

I WAS an atheist. I'm not anymore. I'm somewhere in between religion and atheism. And my mistake I should've asked why are SOME atheists afraid of death? Or why do Atheists believe that death is the end? Obviously not all atheists are afraid of death but all of them believe that death is the end

There is something in between religion and atheism?

Either you hold a positive belief in a deity, or you don't. Where's the middle ground?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Quote:Why do you consider your introductory paragraph to be irrelevant to your main point? What is the purpose of your introductory paragraph if not to introduce your main point?

The introduction isn't irrelevant. It's relevant in explaining my thought process. His response to it was irrelevant and off-topic entirely.

Quote:Are all human subjective experiences identical? Are they personal and unique? In what way is consciousness neither personal nor unique?

It's hard to explain this... but let's say there's two components to a human being. Let's call the first component his or her "ego", which is everything that makes that person unique. The second component is his or her "consciousness", or simply his capability to be aware of existence. Egos and subjective experiences are different. Consciousness is identical. Atheists believe that both are egos and consciousness will die. I'm arguing that while egos can die, consciousness can't. A physical reality can't exist without there being someone to perceive it. It's natural to think that it can, because we see people dying and the universe still spinning without them and we believe that those people are forever unconscious. But it's IMPOSSIBLE to be "forever unconscious" because reality DEPENDS on consciousness for it to exist. Before you argue against this, let me ask you... if you've never been born does the universe even exist? It simply doesn't no matter how you argue against it. This concept applies to death as well, since being dead is exactly the same thing as never having been born.

So consciousness does exist outside of our physical bodies. In fact, everything in the universe - time, space, and matter, all exist within consciousness, not the other way around. They simply wouldn't exist outside of consciousness. You have to stop thinking scientifically to understand this. Science is unreliable and we all know it can never explain everything in the universe. How can science explain infinity or where the matter from the big bang came from? I mean forget science, our minds can't even COMPREHEND what infinity or a causeless cause is, even though they have to exist in the physical universe.

Quote:Are you an Atheist? Why have you contradicted yourself? What does it mean to be "somewhere between Atheism and religion"? In what way are you neither religious nor non-religious?

How did I contradict myself? I was religious until I reasoned myself out of it. Then I became an atheist and then reasoned myself out of that too. I guess you can now call me "spiritual" because I don't believe that the universe is just random matter that somehow collided in a certain way to form conscious beings. I don't believe that death will be the end of my consciousness because that notion itself doesn't make any sense.

I don't believe in a personal God either. You and I both know that is a load of crap. I do believe in some kind of higher power though. How can you not? Life itself is a miracle and if you can't see that then this thread is pointless and won't go anywhere.

Quote:If you admit that factual science supports a loss of all consciousness at death, why are you arguing that that same consciousness continues beyond death? If your theory is not supported by any scientific evidence, why should anyone consider it fact?

Science supports the loss of consciousness of OUR BODY. This same consciousness doesn't continue... but your ability to be aware of existence will.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Reasoning and logic is my "evidence" because obviously none of this can actually be proven. I'm not trying to convert you into believing anything extraordinary. I just want to know if this makes sense to you or not. So stop asking for evidence. This either makes sense or it doesn't. I don't care if you believe it or not.
15-04-2014, 07:21 AM
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  Life itself is a miracle and if you can't see that then this thread is pointless and won't go anywhere.

1. life is not a miracle. (see science book for explanation)
2. I agree- this thread is pointless.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
15-04-2014, 07:32 AM
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  A physical reality can't exist without there being someone to perceive it.

[Citation needed]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 07:37 AM
[Image: Awesome---The-best-thing-about-science.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-04-2014, 07:39 AM
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  So stop asking for evidence.

You have come to a forum that values logic and reason which are based on evidence and are asking us to stop asking for evidence. I think you may have knocked on the wrong door.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 5 users Like Eva's post