RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
[Image: xjH6oq2.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
15-04-2014, 07:52 AM
It's not the dying I'm afraid of, it's being buried in the ground with all of those...

you know...

the things with all the bones.

Damn, I can't even say it, its so terrifying.

We all know what I'm talking about (not for the faint of heart)
[Image: dancing_skeletons.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
15-04-2014, 08:15 AM
(15-04-2014 06:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  That is exactly the misconception about death I'm trying to point out. If you believe our consciousness ceases once you die, you're actually believing in some kind of "soul" because you're suggesting that your "consciousness" is personal and unique to you. This is very hard to explain you just have to think about it.

Bullshit. This crap belongs on a forum for woo-woo. Assertion of something without demonstration or evidence is worthless. Your assertion is worthless. I DO NOT believe in a "soul". You saying "think about it" is an explanation of NOTHING except your idiocy and stupidity. "Think about it" means "I know this sounds like crap but agree with me anyway". My consciousness IS "personal and unique" to me. It arises as a result of MY sensory input, (I trust you have enough science to get what those words mean), and the input into MY senses, (my eyes, ears, etc.) being rapidly referenced to MY memory in MY brain and MY brain chemicals producing the sensation of consciousness. THAT requires NO "soul", AND you saying it does, without DEMONSTRATING WHY AND HOW is pure and complete bullshit. Please read the BASICS :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconsciousness "Unconsciousness" requires a living functioning brain, just as much as consciousness does. Your entire nonsense is built on a false premise, and a misunderstanding of what "unconsciousness" even is, you ignorant fool. People who are dead are NOT "unconscious". Unconsciousness requires a living brain as much as "consciousness" does. Facepalm

(14-04-2014 10:58 PM)Leefboy Wrote:  Again, I'm not an atheist. I just didn't know where else to post this except in a forum where there are people who think exactly like you. Obviously, consciousness is part of our brain and ceases to be once we die. That's science and I am not arguing against that. In fact, nothing about what I'm saying is scientific. All I'm trying to say is that if we don't have a soul that "carries" our consciousness, how can we remain unconscious forever?

Right. You think because we are atheists we buy into ANY non-religious shit. Well guess what ? Above all we are SKEPTICS. Your bullshit is bullshit. It's very clear you have no background in science. Consciousness is not a "part" of the brain. It ARISES (ie *results from*) as a RESULT of healthy normal brain activity. You have not proposed an alternate mechanism nor provided a shred of evidence that your idea has any validity, or that even ONE brain scientist buys into your utter nonsense. Consciousness does not exist APART from the brain. If it did, people with injured brains would still be conscious AND their MRI and PET scans would STILL show evidence of normal consciousness. You DO know what MRI and PET scans are I hope. Oh you don't ? Weeping You have MISUNDERSTOOD something VERY BASIC about death, and the definition of "unconsciousness", and attempted to re-define it. As a result you have come up with one of the MOST idiotic notions ever proposed here.

You show us and tell us how and why "consciousness and unconsciousness" exist apart from brains, and give us the EVIDENCE for that, and then you may have a point. You can't and you won't. You are not "unconscious forever" at death. No one has ever once said that or agreed that is true, and you have not demonstrated that to BE true. Cessation of brain function means you are NEITHER "conscious" NOR "unconscious". "Unconsciousness" REQUIRES a normal healthy functioning brain as much as "consciousness" does. You never took even ONE course in Biology or Psychology did you ?

You are just another totally ignorant pathetic YouTube troll who cooked up a novel, un-thought-out idea, which has NOT a shred of evidence in science or anywhere else, and expects others to buy into it.

Why do you keep throwing insults? You can disagree with me and end it with that. Obviously I thought this through a lot before I posted this. I've BEEN an atheist before. There was a period of time in my life when I believed everything you believed. You clearly just don't understand what I'm trying to say. That's understandable. That is why I posted here because I knew I would get some resistance.

Consciousness DOES exist outside of our brain. There are plenty of scientists who agree with me, and they are not trolls. Skip to 6:00. This video somewhat explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJHJzDQcRM

I don't expect you to change any of your beliefs. The best I can hope for is for you to acknowledge that there's SOME truth to all of this.
15-04-2014, 08:18 AM
(15-04-2014 07:39 AM)Eva Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  So stop asking for evidence.

You have come to a forum that values logic and reason which are based on evidence and are asking us to stop asking for evidence. I think you may have knocked on the wrong door.

No I think I came to the right place. I was looking for people who value logic and reason because that's exactly what I'm using to present my arguments. Tell me what part of my argument is not based off of logic or reasoning?
15-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Life has no meaning if there is no god or afterlife. This is commonly said by people but when you talk about meaning or purpose....... to who? I think it is your responsibility to decide what your purpose in life is and to find your own meaning. There are all sorts of ways of finding meaning such as your work, your family, art, music, poetry and the list goes on and on.

I think if you need some external, unknowable being to give your life purpose then that is pathetic. It is a sign of a defect or psychological weakness if you can't find any meaning in life. I would recommend treatment by a mental health professional.

It is not logical to believe in something for which there is no evidence, period. Despite all the anecdotes and claims we have zero evidence for an afterlife as far as I know.

I don' fear death. I fear getting too old to do the things I like such as hiking and the outdoors but I think by then I will have other things that I like to do just as much like play with my grand kids.

I am much more worried about living than dying. I want to enjoy the finite time I have and not waste a minute of it. One of the consequences of the belief in god is that you can't wait for this life to be over so you can go to heaven. I think that is monstrous. This life is wonderful and it is most likely all we have.

Don't fear death. Live every day as if it is your last one. Choose a purpose for your life that uses your mind to the fullest and brings you happiness. That is your highest moral purpose.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
15-04-2014, 08:24 AM
(15-04-2014 08:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 07:39 AM)Eva Wrote:  You have come to a forum that values logic and reason which are based on evidence and are asking us to stop asking for evidence. I think you may have knocked on the wrong door.

No I think I came to the right place. I was looking for people who value logic and reason because that's exactly what I'm using to present my arguments. Tell me what part of my argument is not based off of logic or reasoning?

The vapid fiat assertions and the flat-out admission that you don't feel a need for substantiating evidence?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
15-04-2014, 08:31 AM
(15-04-2014 08:21 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Life has no meaning if there is no god or afterlife. This is commonly said by people but when you talk about meaning or purpose....... to who? I think it is your responsibility to decide what your purpose in life is and to find your own meaning. There are all sorts of ways of finding meaning such as your work, your family, art, music, poetry and the list goes on and on.

I think if you need some external, unknowable being to give your life purpose then that is pathetic. It is a sign of a defect or psychological weakness if you can't find any meaning in life. I would recommend treatment by a mental health professional.

It is not logical to believe in something for which there is no evidence, period. Despite all the anecdotes and claims we have zero evidence for an afterlife as far as I know.

I don' fear death. I fear getting too old to do the things I like such as hiking and the outdoors but I think by then I will have other things that I like to do just as much like play with my grand kids.

I am much more worried about living than dying. I want to enjoy the finite time I have and not waste a minute of it. One of the consequences of the belief in god is that you can't wait for this life to be over so you can go to heaven. I think that is monstrous. This life is wonderful and it is most likely all we have.

Don't fear death. Live every day as if it is your last one. Choose a purpose for your life that uses your mind to the fullest and brings you happiness. That is your highest moral purpose.

You've completely missed my point.
15-04-2014, 08:34 AM
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  I do believe in some kind of higher power though. How can you not? Life itself is a miracle and if you can't see that then this thread is pointless and won't go anywhere.

...and there it is...

You came to an ATHEIST website. Are you really surprised that we DON'T believe in "some kind of higher power"?

You aren't going to get anyone here to accept your concept without any evidence. It's really that simple. And you keep using "reason" and "logic". I don't think they mean what you think they mean.
[+] 3 users Like meremortal's post
15-04-2014, 08:40 AM
(15-04-2014 08:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 08:18 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  No I think I came to the right place. I was looking for people who value logic and reason because that's exactly what I'm using to present my arguments. Tell me what part of my argument is not based off of logic or reasoning?

The vapid fiat assertions and the flat-out admission that you don't feel a need for substantiating evidence?

WHAT kind of evidence could you possibly want? I'm trying to argue why I think consciousness continues NOT IN A SCIENTIFIC WAY.

I initially posted this in the philosophy section but it didn't post so I just posted it here. Would this make a lot more sense if this was in the philosophy section? I didn't think there would be much difference.
15-04-2014, 08:45 AM
(15-04-2014 07:14 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  It's hard to explain this... but let's say there's two components to a human being. Let's call the first component his or her "ego", which is everything that makes that person unique. The second component is his or her "consciousness", or simply his capability to be aware of existence. Egos and subjective experiences are different. Consciousness is identical. Atheists believe that both are egos and consciousness will die. I'm arguing that while egos can die, consciousness can't. A physical reality can't exist without there being someone to perceive it. It's natural to think that it can, because we see people dying and the universe still spinning without them and we believe that those people are forever unconscious. But it's IMPOSSIBLE to be "forever unconscious" because reality DEPENDS on consciousness for it to exist. Before you argue against this, let me ask you... if you've never been born does the universe even exist? It simply doesn't no matter how you argue against it. This concept applies to death as well, since being dead is exactly the same thing as never having been born.

Firstly stop stating what atheists do and do not believe. The only thing all of us here have in common is a disbelief in any supernatural deity. There is no what we do or do not believe, that is theist thinking.

Re-read your quote above. As far as an in this forum thread is concerned this is just meaningless word salad. Either provide evidence for what you think or accept we will not entertain it unless you can. Getting stressed and irritated because this is what we demand before we will consider it, is a little immature. You made the assertions therefore you have to provide the evidence you have found to lead you to this conclusion. No one here will accept anything just because somebody thought it, be it a good thought or a bad one.

Perhaps you should have posted this in the Philosophy section but this section is not going to consider anything without you providing a valid reason why we should. Bucky gave good reasons why he dismissed your thoughts including, evidence from neuroscience and MRI scans of brain injuries. Saying this is what I think is just not going to cut it.

Edited to add: Yes it may well do better in the Philosophy section but I rarely go in there so to be honest...I don't know.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post