Why are Atheists afraid of death?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-04-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Why are Atheists afraid of death?
Can we get an ip check on this one mods he reeks of diddo97.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Crulax's post
15-04-2014, 10:09 AM
(15-04-2014 10:08 AM)Crulax Wrote:  Can we get an ip check on this one mods he reeks of diddo97.

IP check on isle 4
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
15-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm afraid because I hate God, want to sin, and I know he's going to punish me Tongue

Seriously, I'm not so afraid of death as I am the way that I die. Getting shot in the head is much less scary than being buried alive or eaten by a shark.

As an atheist though, I'm much more comfortable with death. As a theist, you start off at 50-50 odds. Either Paradise or Hell. Then all the religions, all denominations, and all the gods...and your odds of getting everything right are nill at best. Odds are you're wrong and going to hell.

As an atheist....who knows? At least I'm not terrified about the almost guaranteed certainty of going to hell.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
15-04-2014, 10:14 AM
(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  No I'm not surprised. But where else would I go? Religious people are dead set in their beliefs. Atheists are at least open to new ideas (or so I thought).

First of all, are you denying the existence of a higher power? By higher power I simply mean "supernatural" or "outside the laws of physics."

You are your own higher power. You make things happen -- you do the work to achieve your goal.

I don't think everything needs a cause. I think there is enough random that shit just happens. You can move the goal-posts and just as easily ask what caused the cause. and what caused the cause before that cause...

Eventually you have to stop...and just accept that you don't know and it doesn't matter at all, because life will go on long after you've gone, just as life went on before you were born.

It's a silly argument that ultimately means little.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-04-2014, 10:17 AM
(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  First of all, are you denying the existence of a higher power? By higher power I simply mean "supernatural" or "outside the laws of physics." Cause and effect is a basic physical law... yet SOMETHING had to exist without a cause. This fact alone means that a supernatural reality exists, whether you believe in it or not. We just don't know what this supernatural reality is. Don't tell me you can honestly deny its existence.

Special pleading and burden of proof shifting to equivocate poorly defined terms. Can you find a way to work in a straw man? I've almost got bingo!

Causality is a consequence of certain postulates of relativity and thermodynamics. If those postulates do not apply, their consequence does not apply.

"I don't know, therefore whatever I want" is invalid. It's no more than a thought exercise; potentially of interest, but inevitably at a remove from reality.

Notwithstanding the inherent incoherence of exploiting unknowable conditions to then go back to concluding knowable conditions - "the rules don't apply therefore the rules apply". I put that down to a lack of imagination.

(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  So any theory about the universe is possible.

No.

A theory must be testable.

(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  That is why people are able to believe in God. Life is supernatural at its base. We don't use evidence to talk about these things because we can't.

Strict cosmological arguments get one to a vague sort of deism (notwithstanding the aforementioned incoherence of using ignorance to conclude knowledge).

Most religious believers make far more claims than that, and you know it.

(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  We can only use logic and reasoning to choose the theory that makes the most sense. From what I can tell, MOST atheists believe that matter essentially came from nothing and that when we die everything ends. This is also a theory all I'm trying to do is explain what I think are flaws in this theory

Hey, there's the straw man I was looking for!

Bingo!

But no, most atheists do not believe that "matter essentially came from nothing". Most freely admit to not knowing. Several tentatively scientific hypotheses exist; quantum manifolds are assuredly not nothing.

But yes, most atheists probably do believe consciousness to be a temporary phenomenon. Since it is a physically emergent and contingent phenomenon. To claim otherwise is as-yet unsubstantiated; to insist otherwise is asinine.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
15-04-2014, 10:18 AM
(15-04-2014 08:15 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  Consciousness DOES exist outside of our brain. There are plenty of scientists who agree with me, and they are not trolls. Skip to 6:00. This video somewhat explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJHJzDQcRM

One scientist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hagelin

Quote: His position on consciousness and its relationship to the unified field is not accepted by other physicists.

(and some clever soundbites to make it look like other scientists say the same thing when they don't)

There are many scientists on this forum but none of them agree with you that consciousness exists outside of the brain. You are cherry picking a single scientist out of a scientific community made up of millions.

The burden of proof is on you to say how consciousness can exist without a brain.

Go on I dare you. Suggest a mechanism by which consciousness can exist outside of the brain. Suggest a way to demonstrate this on demand.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 10:22 AM
(15-04-2014 09:55 AM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 09:38 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  So you're saying that whatever happened before the Big Bang isn't magic? What is the definition of "magic" to you?

To me, the definition of "magic" is simply something that defies our current laws of physics. The origin of energy and matter is a clear violation of these laws. This is a fact.

Im quite sure I will never understand what happened before the big bang, quantum theory makes my head hurt. However I don't expect what ever happened before then to conform tovthe laws that came into being after the fact.

And asserting that it was magic is presupposing that a supernatural being was behind it. Again the god of the gaps.

Also read the post before replying. I never said it was magic. I said defaulting to god caused it is a logical fallacy.

"So consciousness continues to exist, but not in anyway that is observable, verifiable or measurable.
In other words magic."

You accuse my assertions to be "magic" and I agree. Of course it is. But existence ITSELF is magical. The universe doesn't need a supernatural being for it to be considered magical. The fact that anything EXISTS right now is magic in and of itself.
15-04-2014, 10:25 AM
(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  Atheists are at least open to new ideas (or so I thought).

Atheists are open to new evidence.

Atheists tend to be ... sceptical. The fact that by definition atheists do not have religious beliefs may have been a clue that this is the case.

(15-04-2014 09:24 AM)Leefboy Wrote:  First of all, are you denying the existence of a higher power? By higher power I simply mean "supernatural" or "outside the laws of physics." Cause and effect is a basic physical law... yet SOMETHING had to exist without a cause. This fact alone means that a supernatural reality exists, whether you believe in it or not. We just don't know what this supernatural reality is. Don't tell me you can honestly deny its existence.

And now you're started to sound more like a christian.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
15-04-2014, 10:26 AM
(15-04-2014 10:08 AM)Crulax Wrote:  Can we get an ip check on this one mods he reeks of diddo97.

They seem to check out. I'll PM you...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Atheists fear death? No more than the average person does, perhaps. Though I would venture to bet that most atheists who are comfortable with their atheism do not fear death for the simple reason that it will be the same as having had experienced nothing before life.

It is the theists who fear death, which is why they have concocted the concept of heaven in order to placate that fear.