Why are Atheists hated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Why are Atheists hated?
I would be very interested in the views and opinions of everyone about why atheists are viewed as second class citizens and hated! I personally do not get or understand that. How is a non believer any different than a believer? Is our society, family, & friends so ignorant to see that you can be just as good without god (actually better) than with god? I personally, although still new and learning, find myself much happier, loving, and caring as an atheist than I ever was as a believer. So have at it folks let me know your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: Why are Atheists hated?
Just to clarify, are you talking about Murika?

In, for example, England, Australia and Singapore and to a lesser extent in Malaysia, declaring oneself to be an infidel / atheist / free-thinker / kafir barely raises a twitch of an eyebrow.

So what can I say? I think you're doing it wrong.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Come on, DLJ, everybody knows there's only America. And stage sets. Tongue

Faith is in a way a system of mutual assurance. An unbeliever is a disruption in "the force." Another thing is that some of the faithful take on god as part of their identity and to argue for god's non-existence is a denial of their identity.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-09-2015, 01:15 PM
^^What he said.^^

Gotta keep the fantasy going. Otherwise, bad juju. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
26-09-2015, 01:36 PM
If you break the fourth wall, you wreck the whole play.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
26-09-2015, 01:47 PM
At least here in the good ole US of A we are a small number compared to religious believers so we are pretty much outcasts. Also they get mad when we want to make the laws and rules of this country good for everyone instead of just their religion, they want their religion to be the ruler, they want to be selfish and when someone does not agree with that they cry about it and call us the devil or whatever because they don't get their way.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
26-09-2015, 02:06 PM
(26-09-2015 01:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  At least here in the good ole US of A we are a small number compared to religious believers so we are pretty much outcasts. Also they get mad when we want to make the laws and rules of this country good for everyone instead of just their religion, they want their religion to be the ruler, they want to be selfish and when someone does not agree with that they cry about it and call us the devil or whatever because they don't get their way.

I know we are a small number compared to religious believers but we are growing and find being viewed as an outcast ridiculous. Separation of church and state would make things so much better.
[+] 1 user Likes Songbird's post
26-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Obviously we do technically have separation of church and state, the issues is that an atheist would never make it into office without faking a religion because atheism is so unpopular. That's a cultural problem, not the government. At least Kim Davis is in prison, that was good(though it'll just make things worse probably). As to *why* atheists are hated, that would be because we are not confirming their religion. We have heard their shit and do no accept it. It's scary to them.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
26-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Religious leaders in the US often paint atheists as people of bad character, because only someone who was vicious and lazy would reject the "good news" of salvation. For the believer to disagree involves a high social risk, especially in locations where almost everyone is Christian and atheists stay in the closet. So that's one reason: people don't want to call their preachers liars.

The other reason, I think, is that many believers see atheists as proclaiming that belief in god is stupid, and so atheists must think believers are stupid. One common (especially American, maybe) reaction to that perception is to hit hard at the person who made them feel bad. The reaction typically being something like, that guy might know philosophy, but I can still knock his teeth out; or, she might have spent a bunch of time reading books, but that's because she a nasty sinner who hates god and just wanted to elevate herself, and I'm not going to vote for her or hire her or let her sit on a jury.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
26-09-2015, 02:29 PM
(26-09-2015 12:35 PM)Songbird Wrote:  I would be very interested in the views and opinions of everyone about why atheists are viewed as second class citizens and hated! I personally do not get or understand that. How is a non believer any different than a believer? Is our society, family, & friends so ignorant to see that you can be just as good without god (actually better) than with god? I personally, although still new and learning, find myself much happier, loving, and caring as an atheist than I ever was as a believer. So have at it folks let me know your thoughts.

Deep down every theists knows that there is no god and they're just terrified of having to accept responsibility for themselves and to admit that death is the end.
Drinking Beverage

Theists, that's what it sounds like to us when you tell us we're just angry at god.

Seriously, having never been a believer I don't understand the theistic mindset and have never understood why atheists are so often reviled.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post