Why are Atheists hated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: Why are Atheists hated?
Atheists are often seen by believers as being mad at god, or turning away from religion in order to live an amoral life, or they have been misled by Satan...these all being negative.

Some believers also are taught that they are ordered by god to bring all the heathens around to belief. Earns jewels in their heavenly crown or some such nonsense.

Then you can look at all the flavors of Christianity that think all the other flavors are wrong/false you can see that it's all about believe as I believe or you are damned - even if you claim to believe in the same god.

There needs to be a balance - believers see themselves as good and right so someone has to be wrong - it follows that the most wrong and bad are the non-believers.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Nobody likes to be told they're wrong.

Plus there's a whole "my tribe is better than your tribe" mentality, which they have been fed their whole life. You are challenging not only their belief, but their tribe, too. Kinda like being a Packer fan in Chicago.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
26-09-2015, 05:22 PM
We can be pretty obnoxious at times, at least I can. I was in the Apple store with my wife today and some guy was wearing a T-shirt that said, "God created soldiers and Satan was afraid and ran away." I told him his T shirt was wrong. I said, "Back in 1972, I was an Army Ranger and I killed your fucking god." He didn't take it well. He just babbled a bit. My wife said I was looking for trouble.

Another guy in the store had an atheist T shirt on and I commended him. I like to see people pushing atheism and I generally think believers are not very smart. I'm sure that many believers pick up on that from me even when I don't say anything.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
26-09-2015, 05:32 PM
(26-09-2015 12:35 PM)Songbird Wrote:  I would be very interested in the views and opinions of everyone about why atheists are viewed as second class citizens and hated! I personally do not get or understand that. How is a non believer any different than a believer? Is our society, family, & friends so ignorant to see that you can be just as good without god (actually better) than with god? I personally, although still new and learning, find myself much happier, loving, and caring as an atheist than I ever was as a believer. So have at it folks let me know your thoughts.

I made a post on this subject before, perhaps the data is still relevant.

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

"Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don’t like much: atheists. Those who don’t believe in God are widely considered to be immoral, wicked and angry. They can’t join the Boy Scouts. Atheist soldiers are rated potentially deficient when they do not score as sufficiently “spiritual” in military psychological evaluations. Surveys find that most Americans refuse or are reluctant to marry or vote for nontheists; in other words, nonbelievers are one minority still commonly denied in practical terms the right to assume office despite the constitutional ban on religious tests.

Rarely denounced by the mainstream, this stunning anti-atheist discrimination is egged on by Christian conservatives who stridently — and uncivilly — declare that the lack of godly faith is detrimental to society, rendering nonbelievers intrinsically suspect and second-class citizens.

Is this knee-jerk dislike of atheists warranted? Not even close.

A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency — issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights — the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious.

Consider that at the societal level, murder rates are far lower in secularized nations such as Japan or Sweden than they are in the much more religious United States, which also has a much greater portion of its population in prison. Even within this country, those states with the highest levels of church attendance, such as Louisiana and Mississippi, have significantly higher murder rates than far less religious states such as Vermont and Oregon.

As individuals, atheists tend to score high on measures of intelligence, especially verbal ability and scientific literacy. They tend to raise their children to solve problems rationally, to make up their own minds when it comes to existential questions and to obey the golden rule. They are more likely to practice safe sex than the strongly religious are, and are less likely to be nationalistic or ethnocentric. They value freedom of thought.

Denmark and Norway for example, which is among the least religious countries in the history of the world, consistently rates as the happiest of nations. And studies of apostates — people who were religious but later rejected their religion — report feeling happier, better and liberated in their post-religious lives.

On numerous respected measures of societal success — rates of poverty, teenage pregnancy, abortion, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, drug use and crime, as well as economics — high levels of secularity are consistently correlated with positive outcomes in first-world nations. None of the secular advanced democracies suffers from the combined social ills seen here in Christian America.

More than 2,000 years ago, whoever wrote Psalm 14 claimed that atheists were foolish and corrupt, incapable of doing any good. These put-downs have had sticking power. Negative stereotypes of atheists are alive and well. Yet like all stereotypes, they aren’t true — and perhaps they tell us more about those who harbor them than those who are maligned by them. So when the likes of Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Bill O’Reilly and Newt Gingrich engage in the politics of division and destruction by maligning atheists, they do so in disregard of reality.

As with other national minority groups, atheism is enjoying rapid growth. Despite the bigotry, the number of American nontheists has tripled as a proportion of the general population since the 1960s. Younger generations’ tolerance for the endless disputes of religion is waning fast. Surveys designed to overcome the understandable reluctance to admit atheism have found that as many as 60 million Americans — a fifth of the population — are not believers. Our nonreligious compatriots should be accorded the same respect as other minorities."

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674856

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
26-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Looking back to my former Christian mindset, I would say that we are thought of as part of the scheme of "the enemy" or Satan if you will. The belief in god and the bible becomes so ingrained in a person that the mere thought of being an atheist is incomprehensible. They see us as people who have been deceived and are being used by the devil to deceive others

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Human societies embed their values and ideals in religion. When someone rejects religion, they assume the values are rejected also. It's an old tale. it's why they killed Socrates.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Like DLJ I can only imagine, like many Americans, that you believe only America exists, America won both world wars etc etc. But strangely couldn't win Korea, Vietnam, or Iraq etc.

So, the history of atheist persecution. Well we have to go back to the ancient world.... Oh hang on, there is no ancient world because only America exists....

Let me think.

Socrates.... No that wasn't in America either.......

Um, I can't think how to explain it. Basically there is no such thing as atheists you silly person.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-09-2015, 06:53 PM
People here just don't give a fuck about religion, even if they do believe in God they don't wanna hear about your opinion on it. Religious talk is frowned upon you could say. And so when someone starts harping on about God this and God that they get shunned/strange looks etc..
It's just one of those topics noone cares about and so if the topic comes up and you say you're atheist nobody cares because atheism is common place.

It sucks. Where's my Kim Davis? I wanna protest some religious nut jobs. It's not fair.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-09-2015, 06:55 PM
(26-09-2015 06:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Like DLJ I can only imagine, like many Americans, that you believe only America exists, America won both world wars etc etc. But strangely couldn't win Korea, Vietnam, or Iraq etc.

So, the history of atheist persecution. Well we have to go back to the ancient world.... Oh hang on, there is no ancient world because only America exists....

Let me think.

Socrates.... No that wasn't in America either.......

Um, I can't think how to explain it. Basically there is no such thing as atheists you silly person.

Not the view of most Americans at all.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-09-2015, 06:57 PM
(26-09-2015 06:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Not the view of most Americans at all.

So you say...... Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.