Why are Atheists hated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 07:38 PM
RE: Why are Atheists hated?
(26-09-2015 05:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 12:35 PM)Songbird Wrote:  I would be very interested in the views and opinions of everyone about why atheists are viewed as second class citizens and hated! I personally do not get or understand that. How is a non believer any different than a believer? Is our society, family, & friends so ignorant to see that you can be just as good without god (actually better) than with god? I personally, although still new and learning, find myself much happier, loving, and caring as an atheist than I ever was as a believer. So have at it folks let me know your thoughts.

I made a post on this subject before, perhaps the data is still relevant.

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

"Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don’t like much: atheists. Those who don’t believe in God are widely considered to be immoral, wicked and angry. They can’t join the Boy Scouts. Atheist soldiers are rated potentially deficient when they do not score as sufficiently “spiritual” in military psychological evaluations. Surveys find that most Americans refuse or are reluctant to marry or vote for nontheists; in other words, nonbelievers are one minority still commonly denied in practical terms the right to assume office despite the constitutional ban on religious tests.

Rarely denounced by the mainstream, this stunning anti-atheist discrimination is egged on by Christian conservatives who stridently — and uncivilly — declare that the lack of godly faith is detrimental to society, rendering nonbelievers intrinsically suspect and second-class citizens.

Is this knee-jerk dislike of atheists warranted? Not even close.

A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency — issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights — the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious.

Consider that at the societal level, murder rates are far lower in secularized nations such as Japan or Sweden than they are in the much more religious United States, which also has a much greater portion of its population in prison. Even within this country, those states with the highest levels of church attendance, such as Louisiana and Mississippi, have significantly higher murder rates than far less religious states such as Vermont and Oregon.

As individuals, atheists tend to score high on measures of intelligence, especially verbal ability and scientific literacy. They tend to raise their children to solve problems rationally, to make up their own minds when it comes to existential questions and to obey the golden rule. They are more likely to practice safe sex than the strongly religious are, and are less likely to be nationalistic or ethnocentric. They value freedom of thought.

Denmark and Norway for example, which is among the least religious countries in the history of the world, consistently rates as the happiest of nations. And studies of apostates — people who were religious but later rejected their religion — report feeling happier, better and liberated in their post-religious lives.

On numerous respected measures of societal success — rates of poverty, teenage pregnancy, abortion, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, drug use and crime, as well as economics — high levels of secularity are consistently correlated with positive outcomes in first-world nations. None of the secular advanced democracies suffers from the combined social ills seen here in Christian America.

More than 2,000 years ago, whoever wrote Psalm 14 claimed that atheists were foolish and corrupt, incapable of doing any good. These put-downs have had sticking power. Negative stereotypes of atheists are alive and well. Yet like all stereotypes, they aren’t true — and perhaps they tell us more about those who harbor them than those who are maligned by them. So when the likes of Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Bill O’Reilly and Newt Gingrich engage in the politics of division and destruction by maligning atheists, they do so in disregard of reality.

As with other national minority groups, atheism is enjoying rapid growth. Despite the bigotry, the number of American nontheists has tripled as a proportion of the general population since the 1960s. Younger generations’ tolerance for the endless disputes of religion is waning fast. Surveys designed to overcome the understandable reluctance to admit atheism have found that as many as 60 million Americans — a fifth of the population — are not believers. Our nonreligious compatriots should be accorded the same respect as other minorities."

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674856

Thanks, very well said!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Songbird's post
26-09-2015, 07:43 PM
(26-09-2015 02:19 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Obviously we do technically have separation of church and state, the issues is that an atheist would never make it into office without faking a religion because atheism is so unpopular. That's a cultural problem, not the government. At least Kim Davis is in prison, that was good(though it'll just make things worse probably). As to *why* atheists are hated, that would be because we are not confirming their religion. We have heard their shit and do no accept it. It's scary to them.

I am hopeful that an atheist will one day make it into office without faking it, truly think then some shit would get fixed in this world.
26-09-2015, 07:48 PM
(26-09-2015 07:43 PM)Songbird Wrote:  I am hopeful that an atheist will one day make it into office without faking it, truly think then some shit would get fixed in this world.

No no no. In America.

Look at this!

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan

Top of Page

B

Bahamas, The
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana
Brazil
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burma
Burundi

Top of Page

C

Cambodia
Cameroon
Canada
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Chile
China
Colombia
Comoros
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Congo, Republic of the
Costa Rica
Cote d'Ivoire
Croatia
Cuba
Curacao
Cyprus
Czech Republic

Top of Page

D

Denmark
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic

Top of Page

E

East Timor (see Timor-Leste)
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Estonia
Ethiopia

Top of Page

F

Fiji
Finland
France

Top of Page

G

Gabon
Gambia, The
Georgia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana

Top of Page

H

Haiti
Holy See
Honduras
Hong Kong
Hungary

Top of Page

I

Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy

Top of Page

J

Jamaica
Japan
Jordan

Top of Page

K

Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea, North
Korea, South
Kosovo
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan

Top of Page

L

Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg

Top of Page

M

Macau
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mexico
Micronesia
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montenegro
Morocco
Mozambique

Top of Page

N
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
North Korea
Norway

Top of Page

O
Oman

Top of Page

P
Pakistan
Palau
Palestinian Territories
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal

Top of Page

Q
Qatar

Top of Page

R
Romania
Russia
Rwanda

Top of Page

S
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Sint Maarten
Slovakia
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
South Korea
South Sudan
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria

Top of Page

T

Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu

Top of Page

U
Uganda
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
Uruguay
Uzbekistan

Top of Page

V
Vanuatu
Venezuela
Vietnam

Top of Page

Y
Yemen

Top of Page

Z
Zambia
Zimbabwe

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I think what it boils down to no matter what freaking country your in, is that Atheists are different and most religious people don't like different.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
26-09-2015, 08:41 PM
(26-09-2015 08:03 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I think what it boils down to no matter what freaking country your in, is that Atheists are different and most religious people don't like different.

But there's only one country! Wink

Dude I'm taking the piss. Big Grin

You must know me by now.

There's the totally off my tree me, and then me.

This is normal me> Smile

This is off my tree me. > Hobo

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-09-2015, 08:50 PM
(26-09-2015 08:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 08:03 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I think what it boils down to no matter what freaking country your in, is that Atheists are different and most religious people don't like different.

But there's only one country! Wink

Dude I'm taking the piss. Big Grin

You must know me by now.

There's the totally off my tree me, and then me.

This is normal me> Smile

This is off my tree me. > Hobo

[Image: Sigh.gif]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-09-2015, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 09:08 PM by Free Thought.)
(26-09-2015 12:35 PM)Songbird Wrote:  I would be very interested in the views and opinions of everyone about why atheists are viewed as second class citizens and hated! I personally do not get or understand that. How is a non believer any different than a believer? Is our society, family, & friends so ignorant to see that you can be just as good without god (actually better) than with god? I personally, although still new and learning, find myself much happier, loving, and caring as an atheist than I ever was as a believer. So have at it folks let me know your thoughts.

There was a paper released about 'anti-atheist prejudice' in the US recently, it was published in the journal 'Social Psychology and Personality Science' on the 27th of April this year. I would argue that the results of this paper would reflect reliably on anti-atheist sentiment globally.

The paper, headed by Prof. Corey L. Cook of UW Tacoma was titled What If They’re Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice. I'll let the Abstract go from here:

Cook et al. Wrote:Terror management theory posits that the uniquely human awareness of death gives rise to potentially paralyzing terror that is assuaged by embracing cultural worldviews that provide a sense that one is a valuable participant in a meaningful universe. We propose that pervasive and pronounced anti-atheist prejudices stem, in part, from the existential threat posed by conflicting worldview beliefs. Two studies were conducted to establish that existential concerns contribute to anti-atheist sentiments. Experiment 1 found that a subtle reminder of death increased disparagement, social distancing, and distrust of atheists. Experiment 2 found that asking people to think about atheism increased the accessibility of implicit death thoughts. These studies provide the first empirical link between existential concerns and anti-atheist prejudices.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
26-09-2015, 10:00 PM
(26-09-2015 09:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

There was a paper released about 'anti-atheist prejudice' in the US recently, it was published in the journal 'Social Psychology and Personality Science' on the 27th of April this year. I would argue that the results of this paper would reflect reliably on anti-atheist sentiment globally.

The paper, headed by Prof. Corey L. Cook of UW Tacoma was titled What If They’re Right About the Afterlife? Evidence of the Role of Existential Threat on Anti-Atheist Prejudice. I'll let the Abstract go from here:

Cook et al. Wrote:Terror management theory posits that the uniquely human awareness of death gives rise to potentially paralyzing terror that is assuaged by embracing cultural worldviews that provide a sense that one is a valuable participant in a meaningful universe. We propose that pervasive and pronounced anti-atheist prejudices stem, in part, from the existential threat posed by conflicting worldview beliefs. Two studies were conducted to establish that existential concerns contribute to anti-atheist sentiments. Experiment 1 found that a subtle reminder of death increased disparagement, social distancing, and distrust of atheists. Experiment 2 found that asking people to think about atheism increased the accessibility of implicit death thoughts. These studies provide the first empirical link between existential concerns and anti-atheist prejudices.

Oooh! FT just scienced us!

Heterophenomenology FTW!

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Apart from tribal thing and atheist making theist doubt by just existing it could be also linking atheism with communism which is somewhat common in Poland. Another reason could be indoctrination.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-09-2015, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 12:34 AM by GirlyMan.)
We frighten them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post