Why are Atheists hated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2015, 12:45 AM
RE: Why are Atheists hated?
If it is a popular opinion, I tend to swim against the current.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-09-2015, 02:05 AM
(27-09-2015 12:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We frighten them.

[Image: Halloween_Creepy_Ghost_PNG_Clipart.png?m=1408434720]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-09-2015, 02:19 AM
(27-09-2015 02:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 12:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We frighten them.

[Image: Halloween_Creepy_Ghost_PNG_Clipart.png?m=1408434720]

[Image: 33c.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-09-2015, 02:23 AM
(27-09-2015 02:19 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-09-2015 02:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: Halloween_Creepy_Ghost_PNG_Clipart.png?m=1408434720]

[Image: 33c.gif]

Is that Free?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-09-2015, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2015 06:57 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
Like others have said, I think it's because we're a sort of reality check and people are honestly scared of it on a deep level of consciousness. They are afraid of losing that hope even if they don't realise it.

I remember I had similar feelings when I was a believer and people would criticise some "plot holes" in the whole religion thing. You came up with excuses or explanations to justify something that didn't make sense to your human brain.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
27-09-2015, 02:59 AM
I think it's the hair, we all have great hair.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
27-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Atheists are hated cause we are like...so hot. Every hates the good looking people.

Seriously people hate atheists because we are the reminder that they are probably wrong. No oNE likes being wrong.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
27-09-2015, 02:12 PM
(26-09-2015 06:16 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Looking back to my former Christian mindset, I would say that we are thought of as part of the scheme of "the enemy" or Satan if you will. The belief in god and the bible becomes so ingrained in a person that the mere thought of being an atheist is incomprehensible. They see us as people who have been deceived and are being used by the devil to deceive others

Yes, I think that is a huge part of it. One of my very distinct memories of a sermon which actually impacted me as a child (there were not many because I was really never into the whole thing even though I believed in god) was of our minister speaking of Christian persecution. He shouted from the pulpit about how atheists persecuted Christians, and how Madelyn Murray O'Hare removed prayer from schools. My parents rarely discussed sermons after church, but I remember after we prayed over our meal at lunch, my dad said it was important that Christians be able to withstand persecution, because one woman like Madelyn Murray O'Hare could take away our rights. I hated her for doing it. Now, I admire the hell out of her bravery!

Then you have conservative D-list celebrities like Phil Robertson telling everyone we have no morals. Even more mainstream celebrities like Oprah and Steve Harvey have publically made anti-atheist statements.
27-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Hatred or more truly existent, a distrust for those who are atheists by religious folks isn't something I quite grasp. It's right there when they are interviewed though, people have less trust of people of different religions than their own and Atheists, at least in American polling.

A lot of it stems from unfamiliarity but what they think and why they would articulate they wouldn't trust someone of that supposed group is beyond my knowledge.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-09-2015, 04:02 PM
(27-09-2015 06:23 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Atheists are hated cause we are like...so hot. Every hates the good looking people.

Seriously people hate atheists because we are the reminder that they are probably wrong. No oNE likes being wrong.

Big Grin I agree with you on both counts!
[+] 1 user Likes Songbird's post