Why are Atheists hated?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2015, 04:08 PM
RE: Why are Atheists hated?
Pure jealousy because we can enjoy life without guilt.
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
27-09-2015, 06:25 PM
I used to be a Catholic. I spell it with a capital "C" to distinguish it from being "catholic"- from the Google dictionary, definition #1- "(especially of a person's tastes) including a wide variety of things; all-embracing". Which ain't Catholicism, by a far stretch. I do identify with that lower case definition. I can do things from carving an animal form in wood, to writing FORTRAN code for electromagnetic propagation and scattering problems, to repairing my own vehicles. I just tried hard to be a real Renaissance man. There are many gaps in my knowledge- don't think that I am bragging. When I graduated, I truly understood how little I knew about a lot.

Even in school as a wee lad in the late '50s and '60s, atheists were demonized. I didn't actually get to unpacking that BS until I had graduated university and had been working in industry for many years, (though I had my doubts, even then- really, from the early '90s). It wasn't until I had a really good internet connection and some free time that I could research my doubts and get educated...and realized I was "ONE OF THEM". It took awhile for me to actually get over the trauma of not believing in a god, and the attendant feelings of guilt. I volunteered for my church for awhile, and guilt was one of the things we were told to use to get people to do things. Everything I had ever seen about atheists was negative. In a sense, my focus on the STEM curriculum obviated attention to the social and political arenas. I credit that curriculum with helping me work the logic hard enough that it spilled over into the religious part of my life and made the understanding and breakaway a reasonable and logical decision.

Hope this doesn't get TL;DR for the people who are on the fence and would like some reassurance that we atheists aren't all that bad. But I do eat unfertilized aborted chicken embryos...and baby back ribs!
28-09-2015, 04:23 PM
It might stem from suffering a delusion that one is objectively and existentially "Special" (captial S). When confronted with the reality they just might not be a special snowflake after all, they can become aggressively defensive, possibly even violent.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-09-2015, 06:20 PM
(27-09-2015 06:23 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Atheists are hated cause we are like...so hot. Every hates the good looking people.

It's really skewed in our favor. We have you, Smerc, Nurse, etc. and they have Kim Davis and Oprah.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
28-09-2015, 07:01 PM
My joking answer would be after a living long enough to have to loose the Tooth Fairy, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, God is just one obvious step too far.... But in reality I think it has to do a lot more with the fact that religion tends to turn morality backwards. Love becomes hate, Freedom becomes bondage.

Religious People hang their hat on the false Idea that all morality stems from god. Which of course is preposterous. This is the god who aborted his son in something like the hundred and second trimester of his life. Not to mention all the other horrors he unleashed upon the earth or threats of those yet to come to any who do not adore this abuser.

It's a battered wives syndrome of some sort that keeps these people in line, and as it is gods "morality" to never "Spare the rod" and to beat your children mercilessly, you could easily see how their rage is formed by the idea that there is no god who brought this "morality" into being. And the only real one to blame is those abusers {quite human} who brought this upon them. They would rather hate those who think freely than dare admit that they are abuse survivors. And there was no other reason for that abuse, than just pure evil abusiveness.
[+] 1 user Likes oddnes's post
28-09-2015, 07:03 PM
(28-09-2015 07:01 PM)oddnes Wrote:  My joking answer would be after a living long enough to have to loose the Tooth Fairy, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, God is just one obvious step too far.... But in reality I think it has to do a lot more with the fact that religion tends to turn morality backwards. Love becomes hate, Freedom becomes bondage.

Religious People hang their hat on the false Idea that all morality stems from god. Which of course is preposterous. This is the god who aborted his son in something like the hundred and second trimester of his life. Not to mention all the other horrors he unleashed upon the earth or threats of those yet to come to any who do not adore this abuser.

It's a battered wives syndrome of some sort that keeps these people in line, and as it is gods "morality" to never "Spare the rod" and to beat your children mercilessly, you could easily see how their rage is formed by the idea that there is no god who brought this "morality" into being. And the only real one to blame is those abusers {quite human} who brought this religion upon them. They would rather hate those who think freely than dare admit that they are abuse survivors. And there was no other reason for that abuse, than just pure evil abusiveness.
28-09-2015, 07:49 PM
(28-09-2015 07:03 PM)oddnes Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 07:01 PM)oddnes Wrote:  My joking answer would be after a living long enough to have to loose the Tooth Fairy, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, God is just one obvious step too far.... But in reality I think it has to do a lot more with the fact that religion tends to turn morality backwards. Love becomes hate, Freedom becomes bondage.

It's a battered wives syndrome of some sort that keeps these people in line, and as it is gods "morality" to never "Spare the rod" and to beat your children mercilessly, you could easily see how their rage is formed by the idea that there is no god who brought this "morality" into being. And the only real one to blame is those abusers {quite human} who brought this religion upon them. They would rather hate those who think freely than dare admit that they are abuse survivors. And there was no other reason for that abuse, than just pure evil abusiveness.

While I agree that this is possibly a partial explanation, why are you quoting yourself?
29-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Why are atheists hated?

Because they are right.

Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
29-09-2015, 10:40 AM
(29-09-2015 10:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Why are atheists hated?

Because they are right.

Wink

Yes
18-01-2016, 10:37 AM
I think basically is because that is the image that the church want to give to the believer people. I went (and unfortunately still going) to the church very very often and I grew hearing that atheist are bad people without values and moral, and I believed it, even, that was the reason why I don't became atheist before, until I meet a Friend, a very good one, who one day told me that she was atheist. In that moment I realized that atheist are normal and good people.

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Rush's post