Why are Christians sad about death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: Why are Christians sad about death?
(05-07-2015 11:53 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Ian McEwan said something relating to this, along the lines of; "when you see your loved one's on a ship, and it's setting sail, you don't cry because you know (or it's probably the case) that you're going to see them again. So why don't religious people smile and act the same way when a loved one passes, if the separation is only temporary?"

Too bad murder is one of the 10 commandments, cause if it weren't maybe christians would be so happy to get to heaven they'd start killing each other.

I'm being facetious.........sorta.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 12:45 PM
(05-07-2015 12:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 11:53 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Ian McEwan said something relating to this, along the lines of; "when you see your loved one's on a ship, and it's setting sail, you don't cry because you know (or it's probably the case) that you're going to see them again. So why don't religious people smile and act the same way when a loved one passes, if the separation is only temporary?"

Too bad murder is one of the 10 commandments, cause if it weren't maybe christians would be so happy to get to heaven they'd start killing each other.

I'm being facetious.........sorta.

Maybe they could just take the sin off of suicide instead.
05-07-2015, 01:22 PM
(02-07-2015 08:16 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If you were 100% certain that your dead loved one was in a better, perfect place, where he'd feel no more pain and sadness and you'd certainly see him again, then why the fuck should you be sad? Pretty selfish, right?

Why are people sad when their friends get an awesome promotion, that involves moving to the sunny beaches of California. I mean they still see them once or twice a year. Pretty selfish right?
05-07-2015, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 01:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-07-2015 08:16 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If you were 100% certain that your dead loved one was in a better, perfect place, where he'd feel no more pain and sadness and you'd certainly see him again, then why the fuck should you be sad?

It shakes their certainty. They realize for a brief moment that their entire metaphysical framework is built on bullshit and they will never see the deceased ever again. And that makes them sad.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-07-2015, 03:05 PM
(05-07-2015 01:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 08:16 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If you were 100% certain that your dead loved one was in a better, perfect place, where he'd feel no more pain and sadness and you'd certainly see him again, then why the fuck should you be sad? Pretty selfish, right?

Why are people sad when their friends get an awesome promotion, that involves moving to the sunny beaches of California. I mean they still see them once or twice a year. Pretty selfish right?

They are? That's far from a social certainty and not the case I've seen from people plenty of times.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-07-2015, 03:41 PM
I believe the real reason why people cry or become sad when someone they like dies is not really out of selfishness of that person being gone and can't do the things that person likes for them anymore, although I acknowledge it as a strong point to it. Nor, do I believe that being sad has anything to do with thinking that person is in hell, no matter what a fundi may say or think to themselves, that is really not the case.

I think the reason why the death of others doesn't even make us sad at all. Feeling sad or depressed in the occurrence of someones death is impossible in my opinion.I think sadness and depression is only the side effect our minds project for us in order to protect itself, of which being us. The thing our minds are keeping us safe from by covering it up with a far FAR less potent emotion is fear. Fear is the reason why we feel sadness and depression, its a by product projected to keep out the thing that will really and truly harm us. Because deep down inside, no matter how much you might think you believe in a continued existence, no matter how strong a persons faith is or how certain their faith is, no matter how much mental gymnastics they might try to perform to convince themselves otherwise, we ALL know very well that when you die, that is the end. No matter what you want to call it by, be it by Mu, Oblivion, The End, The great nothing, or the void. We are all very aware of our finite existence and the death of others around us only serve as a reminder that we too will end up just like they do and become nothing.

A good way to truly understand the depths of this feeling and bypass the depression effect that your mind creates to protect you is to really study the universe and how large everything truly is. Most, if not almost every single individual who looks at a picture of the observable universe still has no clue on just how large of a scale the universe is. Then after realizing the immensity of the universe, compare your size to it, along with every possible planet that could have life on it and all the other galaxies and then just imagine how important your life is and the things you have done. Our size in comparison to the universe is something similar to comparing the size of a single blood cell to the size of the earth. Or perhaps an Atom to the earth would be even more accurate I would think.

Death only means fear, fear that you too one day will parish into the nothing. That is why Christians and other believers in an afterlife cry. Not out of selfishness of they can't get what they want from that person anymore, not out of love of someone they like is gone and definitely not because they think that person is in pain. It is because they know their time is growing shorter and they too will parish. They do so because they are afraid.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-07-2015, 04:23 PM
(05-07-2015 03:41 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I believe the real reason why people cry or become sad when someone they like dies is not really out of selfishness of that person being gone and can't do the things that person likes for them anymore, although I acknowledge it as a strong point to it. Nor, do I believe that being sad has anything to do with thinking that person is in hell, no matter what a fundi may say or think to themselves, that is really not the case.

I think the reason why the death of others doesn't even make us sad at all. Feeling sad or depressed in the occurrence of someones death is impossible in my opinion.I think sadness and depression is only the side effect our minds project for us in order to protect itself, of which being us. The thing our minds are keeping us safe from by covering it up with a far FAR less potent emotion is fear. Fear is the reason why we feel sadness and depression, its a by product projected to keep out the thing that will really and truly harm us. Because deep down inside, no matter how much you might think you believe in a continued existence, no matter how strong a persons faith is or how certain their faith is, no matter how much mental gymnastics they might try to perform to convince themselves otherwise, we ALL know very well that when you die, that is the end. No matter what you want to call it by, be it by Mu, Oblivion, The End, The great nothing, or the void. We are all very aware of our finite existence and the death of others around us only serve as a reminder that we too will end up just like they do and become nothing.

A good way to truly understand the depths of this feeling and bypass the depression effect that your mind creates to protect you is to really study the universe and how large everything truly is. Most, if not almost every single individual who looks at a picture of the observable universe still has no clue on just how large of a scale the universe is. Then after realizing the immensity of the universe, compare your size to it, along with every possible planet that could have life on it and all the other galaxies and then just imagine how important your life is and the things you have done. Our size in comparison to the universe is something similar to comparing the size of a single blood cell to the size of the earth. Or perhaps an Atom to the earth would be even more accurate I would think.

Death only means fear, fear that you too one day will parish into the nothing. That is why Christians and other believers in an afterlife cry. Not out of selfishness of they can't get what they want from that person anymore, not out of love of someone they like is gone and definitely not because they think that person is in pain. It is because they know their time is growing shorter and they too will parish. They do so because they are afraid.

Well, I have to disagree. Fear of death diminishes the closer to it you get. It is the strongest in people of child rearing age. It would be pretty horrific if we all continued to be afraid of death throughout our lives. Thankfully, that is not the case.

Grief is a physical reaction to having a part of one's daily life taken away. It is not selfish, it is physical. Neither rationality nor religion have any influence over it.

The instinct for survival is a powerful instinct, but not all of us have it to the same extent to start with. And as our bodies fail us more and more, death doesn't look so bad at all. We adjust.

Heaven is a pretty fairy tale, hell is a fear factor. The carrot and the stick, it keeps those who believe in it from having to deal with the lack of fairness in life.

Heaven and hell have nothing to do with the physical reaction to loss.

Grief can also occur at the loss of a job, a divorce, loss of a house as when it burns to the ground and kills mementos, and so on. Grief is loss. Grief is monumental change in one's life. All the fairy tales in the world and all the stoic rationality cannot influence it. If you experience what is to you personally a profound loss, you will grieve, regardless.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2015, 02:36 AM
(05-07-2015 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I have to disagree. Fear of death diminishes the closer to it you get. It is the strongest in people of child rearing age. It would be pretty horrific if we all continued to be afraid of death throughout our lives. Thankfully, that is not the case.

Grief is a physical reaction to having a part of one's daily life taken away. It is not selfish, it is physical. Neither rationality nor religion have any influence over it.

The instinct for survival is a powerful instinct, but not all of us have it to the same extent to start with. And as our bodies fail us more and more, death doesn't look so bad at all. We adjust.

Heaven is a pretty fairy tale, hell is a fear factor. The carrot and the stick, it keeps those who believe in it from having to deal with the lack of fairness in life.

Heaven and hell have nothing to do with the physical reaction to loss.

Grief can also occur at the loss of a job, a divorce, loss of a house as when it burns to the ground and kills mementos, and so on. Grief is loss. Grief is monumental change in one's life. All the fairy tales in the world and all the stoic rationality cannot influence it. If you experience what is to you personally a profound loss, you will grieve, regardless.

Hope you're right. I dislike death with all my heart, more than I dislike mosquitoes. And that says a lot.

Seriously though.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]