Why are Christians so hateful?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Why are Christians so hateful?
I became an atheist recently because of my education and life experiences. Though when I tell christians that I am an atheist they tell me I have a worthless life, that I am a loser, that I am not intelligent, and the list goes on and on. Also, the people that tell me these things are people that I have helped out before multiple times. Why are christians so contradictive of their own beliefs? I thought they were supposed to be kind loving people?

By the way, I am new to this website, for I have been an athiest only for a few months. Although for years I have had my doubts about gods existence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2010, 09:34 PM

RE: Why are Christians so hateful?
You try sitting in ignorance and fear for your entire life--you'd be hateful to. Obviously I'm kidding. Not all Christians are hateful. The hate ful ones are probably just a very vocal minority. For them, it's a psychological condition that develops when the mind is cut off from it's main form of nutrition--intelligent thought. It can become like any other form of mental illness even though it begins with a few certain misconceptions early on and then grows into full blown denial of reality. Like drug addicts, these poor people are more or less victims even if the original mental decline was self induced. I'm amazed that people can function in that state but equally amazing is the fact that people like yourself have found a way to escape it's insidious nature. Good for you for making the move to join the growing numbers of intellectual beings. We need everyone who can be saved from this menacing and irritating mental disease to be healed---posthaste.
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the site, and to atheism.

I live in an overly-religious, gun-mad, redneck, Mormonism creationist small town, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I never say that I'm an atheist there. Just not a smart thing to do.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-03-2010, 01:22 AM
(21-03-2010 08:36 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Why are christians so contradictive of their own beliefs? I thought they were supposed to be kind loving people?

Yes, but only to those who share their belief system. To them, atheism is the biggest sin there can be, because they can't even conceive someone could think out of the theological box. Think of it this way: their entire life is regulated by god. Religion tells them what to do, what not to do, how to behave, and even what to think. To them god is the supreme keeper of morals and justice. So if you don't belive in their god... that automatically makes you vicious, sinful, obnoxious, stupid and whatever else you want, and they'll avoid you as if you were a leper, because they're afraid that they could lose their beliefs too.

Quote:I live in an overly-religious, gun-mad, redneck, Mormonism creationist small town, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I never say that I'm an atheist there. Just not a smart thing to do.

That's ok. I never realy spoke to anyone about being an atheist, and I don't even live in a very religious community. I just don't see why my beliefs or lack thereof should be anyone else's concern but mine.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2010, 05:48 AM

Here's a good article to start with:
http://www.helium.com/items/512896-does-...ate-people

The author makes a good point in saying "...all one has to do is look at the many different sects of Christianity to see the evidence..." for segregation and division.

I had read an article a while back (when I find the link, I'll provide it) that went so far to say that there was segregation in individual churches as well (e.g. a Protestant church would only have 'white' members, instead of the expected 'mixed' congregation).

Also, if you have read the bible, there is a tone of antisemitism throughout, especially when you get to the crucifixion (I know many family members who blame the Jews for Christ's final punishment...I, of course, challenge that by asking "how do you know Christ even EXISTED?")

Finally (I wish) one needs look only at the words jihad and the words of George W. Bush ("President George W Bush told Palestinian ministers that God had told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - and create a Palestinian State, a new BBC series reveals.") - LINK. It is this LEVEL of racism (religion vs. religion) that scares the crap out of me. Confused
22-03-2010, 05:57 AM
First off, welcome the forums, omega. Glad to have you with us.

(21-03-2010 08:36 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Though when I tell christians that I am an atheist they tell me I have a worthless life, that I am a loser, that I am not intelligent, and the list goes on and on. Also, the people that tell me these things are people that I have helped out before multiple times. Why are christians so contradictive of their own beliefs? I thought they were supposed to be kind loving people?

The thing is, as others have said already, that Christians (and most other theists) have been taught from an early age that all loving, caring feelings, along with morals, stem from their god. If you don't believe, they have incontrovertible proof that you are a baby-eating child molester. You don't believe. You must be evil to the core!
It may also be that they feel insecure in their beliefs, and to strengthen themselves they attack you. I'm sorry to hear that you lost friends, but if they are people who would turn on you simply for your lack of belief, are they people you really wanted to hang around with?

Quote:By the way, I am new to this website, for I have been an athiest only for a few months. Although for years I have had my doubts about gods existence.

Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask - like, if they throw an argument you hadn't heard before at you. We'll be happy to help.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your answers everyone. I dont hang out with the people anymore that dislike me because my beliefs are different. I still have plenty of friends that don't mind the fact that I am an athiest. I will probably be on here once or twice a week, and I am sure that those guys will be back with more arguments. Lol they keep trying to get me to go to the creationist musuem, but I tell them no thanks.
22-03-2010, 04:27 PM
(22-03-2010 04:23 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Thanks for your answers everyone. I dont hang out with the people anymore that dislike me because my beliefs are different. I still have plenty of friends that don't mind the fact that I am an athiest. I will probably be on here once or twice a week, and I am sure that those guys will be back with more arguments. Lol they keep trying to get me to go to the creationist musuem, but I tell them no thanks.

Good idea. There's not a chance in hell that it'd convert you, but there is a large chance that it would completely and irrevocably destroy your brain.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-03-2010, 10:42 AM

I agree with what has already been stated, so I will not waste time repeating it.

Also keep in mind that not all Christians are this close-minded. One of my best friends is devoutly Christian, and she does not make a big deal about my beliefs.

Also, welcome to the ranks of the free thinking. We are honoured to have you.
23-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Its written into the story