Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
19-04-2015, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 12:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
Why are Christians almost universally opposed to the idea that the sacrifice of The Christ unconditionally atoned for the sins of all mankind everywhere everywhen? Everyone is saved by virtue of that sacrifice regardless of what any of us say or do or believe. Why do almost all Christians reject that Salvation is unconditional and universal? To add conditions to Salvation not only diminishes the sacrifice to the point of trivializing it, but to further base that condition on some mental state in my head seems the utmost in arrogance. I can't think of anything more blasphemous than to predicate Salvation on personal metaphysical opinion. Where the hell did that even come from?

So why can't Christians accept that? Do they need to feel special? Can they not accept the concept of a free lunch? Does it somehow undermine their perverted sense of justice? I just don't get it.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-04-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
(19-04-2015 09:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So why can't Christians accept that? Do they need to feel special? Can they not accept the concept of a free lunch? Does it somehow undermine their perverted sense of justice? I just don't get it.

I think you have your question right there and the answer is 'yes'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2015, 10:50 AM
They're not special if everyone gets in.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
19-04-2015, 10:56 AM
The OT God only liked his chosen people, I don't think anyone ever got over that. Yaweh is like a club bouncer, it's who you know and how you look that gets you in the door... and slipping him a Benjamin does miracles. Cool

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
19-04-2015, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 08:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
Considering this more, I think it not only threatens the foundations of their religion, it threatens the very foundations of their faith itself. Their faith doesn't warrant distinction and that is what really scares the shit out of them. It's just another flimsy foundation not built to code.

Heyyyy, don't be a foolish man.

#sigh
19-04-2015, 01:25 PM
It has to be an exclusive group with rules.
If it wasn't exclusive then no-one would join it, no one would follow the rules.

...and worst of all, no one would pay tithes.

Organised religion is big business, big money and it's all tax free.
It's also easy to convince its customers to get their children into joining. Many parents will almost disown their kids if their kids don't join, what other company has that type of loyalty?
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
19-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Quote:Do they need to feel special?

Nah. They don't collect dues from people who aren't officially in the club.

(In any crime, follow the money.)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-04-2015, 03:23 PM
One reason is that all believers have a bigoted mentor. Jeebus berated anyone who didn’t buy his message:

“Anyone who believes in the Son has eternal life, but anyone who refuses to believe in the Son will never see life: the anger of God stays on him” (John 3:33, NJB.)

“He who believes and is baptized will be saved; he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16, NJB.)

Jeebus even threatened to burn or kill the outsider:

“Anyone who does not remain in me is like a branch that has been thrown away—he withers; these branches are collected and thrown on the fire and they are burnt” (John 15:6, NJB.) (A similar quote is repeated in Mark 6:11.)

“Then he began to approach the towns in which most of his miracles had been worked, because they refused to repent. Alas for you Chorazin! Alas for you Bethsaida! For if the miracles done in you were done in Tyre or Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sack cloth and ashes, and still I tell you that it will not go as hard on Judgment day on Tyre or Sidon as with you. And as for you Capernaum, did you want to be exalted as high as heaven? You shall be thrown down in hell for if the miracles done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have been standing yet. And still, I tell you that I will not go as hard with the land of Sodom on Judgment day as with you” (Matt. 11:20–24, NJB.)

“But as for my enemies who did not want me for their king, bring them here and execute them in my presence” (Luke 19:27, NJB.)

There’s no interpretation that can tone down these atrocious tirades. Jeebus had an arrogant, fanatical belief in himself, and an aggressive ambition to be in charge. He denounced anyone who didn’t worship him, and threatened violence. That’s not attractive. These aren’t the words of someone spreading peace and goodwill.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
19-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Another reason is...you gotta have faith...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtz0I_JdiQ

Paul claimed:

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified” (Gal. 2;16, KJV) and

“Before faith came, we were allowed no freedom by the Law; we were being looked after till faith was revealed. The law was to be our guardian until the Christ came and we could be justified by faith. Now that that time has come we are no longer under that guardian, and you are, all of you, sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. All baptized in Christ, you have all clothed yourself in Christ, and there are no more distinctions between Jew and Greek, slave and free, male and female, but all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” (Gal. 3:23–28, NJB.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2015, 03:35 PM
(19-04-2015 03:23 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  One reason is that all believers have a bigoted mentor. Jeebus berated anyone who didn’t buy his message:

“Anyone who believes in the Son has eternal life, but anyone who refuses to believe in the Son will never see life: the anger of God stays on him” (John 3:33, NJB.)

“He who believes and is baptized will be saved; he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16, NJB.)

Jeebus even threatened to burn or kill the outsider:

“Anyone who does not remain in me is like a branch that has been thrown away—he withers; these branches are collected and thrown on the fire and they are burnt” (John 15:6, NJB.) (A similar quote is repeated in Mark 6:11.)

“Then he began to approach the towns in which most of his miracles had been worked, because they refused to repent. Alas for you Chorazin! Alas for you Bethsaida! For if the miracles done in you were done in Tyre or Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sack cloth and ashes, and still I tell you that it will not go as hard on Judgment day on Tyre or Sidon as with you. And as for you Capernaum, did you want to be exalted as high as heaven? You shall be thrown down in hell for if the miracles done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have been standing yet. And still, I tell you that I will not go as hard with the land of Sodom on Judgment day as with you” (Matt. 11:20–24, NJB.)

“But as for my enemies who did not want me for their king, bring them here and execute them in my presence” (Luke 19:27, NJB.)

There’s no interpretation that can tone down these atrocious tirades. Jeebus had an arrogant, fanatical belief in himself, and an aggressive ambition to be in charge. He denounced anyone who didn’t worship him, and threatened violence. That’s not attractive. These aren’t the words of someone spreading peace and goodwill.
Well chosen quotes there!Thumbsup
I am ever amazed how the Christian community can simply turn a blind eye to these vicious threats. Perhaps in some cases it is fear; other church goers may just utilize the institution as a social habit or in trying to help some charities. Even god the father, Yahweh, did not come up with such evil sounding long term threats.Rolleyes