Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
19-04-2015, 08:36 PM
RE: Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
and the sound from our resident Christian crickets is ... Crickets

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
Duh.
It's not a good business plan.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-04-2015, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 11:08 AM by GirlyMan.)
Still nothing from the "Christians". I don't think there are any Christians here. Just pathetic wannabes who can't appreciate what it even means to realize and embody The Word.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 01:14 PM
(19-04-2015 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Considering this more, I think it not only threatens the foundations of their religion, it threatens the very foundations of their faith itself. Their faith doesn't warrant distinction and that is what really scares the shit out of them. It's just another flimsy foundation not built to code.

Heyyyy, don't be a foolish man.

...They're calling Jesus an unthinking bit of condensed inanimate material? ... I thought they liked the guy!
20-04-2015, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 03:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-04-2015 10:19 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I do answer directly and patiently.

Still waiting. Patiently. Drinking Beverage

You don't really have an answer do you? That dumbfounded look is the same one my dear old Evangelical Christian mom and her congregation and pastor give me. I'm like, "What the fuck, Mom? Has this never even occurred to you before? Really? It's like Jesus 101."

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-04-2015, 02:59 PM
This really comes down to:

How do you sell something to somebody when they already have it?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
20-04-2015, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 03:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-04-2015 02:59 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This really comes down to:

How do you sell something to somebody when they already have it?

Think that's got it. They really do not appear to have a fucking clue what to say. So they stay dumbfounded.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't have my ear on the pulse of Christianity, however, I do believe there has been movement towards a belief system in Christianity that rejects hell. I think you'll find this in the liberal churches, though I have anecdotally seen many evangelicals glom on to the concept of "god is love". Just got to ignore the Old Testament and the New Testament concept of hell to do that. Dodgy

It really is a movement towards the Marcionism of the early church, the heretic's view is more appealing than the old fire-and-brimstone.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
20-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Another reason they will never accept such a concept is because they would have no need for morality....warning graphic text ahead.
So, If jesus sacrifice erased hell and absolved even Satans evil like what Universal reconcillation would suggest! Thaaaaannnn.....

Why be moral when you can rape, murder and drop nukes on whomever you want, imprengating all the 12 year olds in foriegn countries while forcing them to watch their parents slaughtered in front of them and when they are forced to give birth, force that child to what their child get cooked and eaten in front of them and then rape them again and kill them afterwards by lighting them on fire and eating them in turn?

Why not just blow up the entire planet?

Why?

Because Christians need a place for all that evil wickedness in the world to go and burn for all eternity. So, eternal punishment for finite transgressions including not believing in their deity is the most perfect system they could think of. I truly think that most of them think or at least feel this way in some small way or another. That if they didn't have to even accept jesus and that his sacrifice erased everything from all places at once, than they would have no reason to be moral. The thing is that most of them don't realize is that we don't believe, yet we are perfectly moral and don't go around doing anything remotely close to what I said above.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
20-04-2015, 09:22 PM
One need only look at two of the major denominations that preached universal reconciliation (UR). That would be the Unitarians and the Universalists -- who merged in 1962 or so to become the Unitarian / Universalists (I think they should have shortened that to Unitards, but I digress).

The joke is that the Unitarians were more blue collar types, and thought god was too good to condemn man. On the other hand the Universalists were professionals and educators and the like, and felt that man was too good for god to condemn.

Today my local UU church, which I occasionally attend, is mostly full of atheists and agnostics and buddhists with a smattering of liberal Christians. There is no creed or doctrinal statement to subscribe to. Typical Sunday sermons include a discussion of atheism and agnosticism and its relation to theism, some local political activists talking about why they took up nonviolent protest, a presentation about the New York single payer health law proposal, a presentation about heterosexual privilege, a presentation about hospice. In other words it's a humanist social club, basically, with strong liberal political leanings (sometimes comically "PC").

In other words: hellthreat is a central tenet of what makes Christians, Christians. When you remove it, you tend to remove other things, and then other things, until you're no longer Christian anymore. In fact the UU church here is in the process of revising its bylaws to replace the phrase "the church" everywhere that it occurs with "the Society" (most such local congregations call themselves something like "The First Unitarian Universalist Society of Whoville".)

I know someone who knows a guy who is a high mucky-muck at the UU headquarters. He is so disillusioned with his own denomination (and so introverted) that he hasn't attended a service himself in 20 years, despite that he is instrumental in vetting and hiring pastors. I can't imagine an actual Christian denomination being unconcerned about that. This is what happens in a post-belief organization. Unbelievers are all that are left.

Which is fine with me ... it provides me with a place to get some of my social needs met without any danger of being hit up to believe some unsubstantiated claptrap.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post