Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
22-04-2015, 05:28 PM
RE: Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
(22-04-2015 03:15 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  1 Corinthians 15:22, "As all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ"

1 Corinthians 15:22 deals with resurrection, not all that are resurrected benefit from salvation. Some are resurrected to life everlasting and some to judgment. For example, there will be a resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous. The righteous to everlasting life and the unrighteous to judgment.

John 5:28-29 "Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment."

Acts 24:15 "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous."

(22-04-2015 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  1 Corinthians 15:28, "God will be all in all"

1 Corinthians 15:24, 25, 28 "Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone."

By this time those resurrected to judgment have chosen either God's side or Satan's side, and the latter having been destroyed, the all that is left in this case is the former.

(22-04-2015 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Lamentations 3:31-33 (NIV), "For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love"

Lamentations 3:31-33 is in application to Jerusalem. They were punished deservedly, but that punishment isn't enjoyable for Jehovah to have to administer, and even then, there was mercy.

(22-04-2015 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  1 Timothy 4:10 (NIV), "We have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."

Salvation is possible for all, but that doesn't constitute acceptance or adherence to it's requirements. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20 / Matthew 13:3-8 / 2 Peter 1:10 / John 3:16)

Sez you.

Those interpretations are your opinion. I read them as written.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-04-2015, 05:31 PM
(22-04-2015 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those interpretations are your opinion. I read them as written.

They sure do seem to be selective when it comes to their literalism.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 07:36 PM
(22-04-2015 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sez you.

Well, of course, that's up to you, but you should know that, the study of the Bible is much more accountable than, uh, science, for example. In science you can point to a bump on a frog's ass and make up some reason why it would have evolved that way without fear of contradiction, but when you say, for example, that all people are supposed to be "saved" according to the Bible, you had better be able to explain any alleged contradictions. Like Peter or Jesus warning of the possibility of failing to obtain salvation.
22-04-2015, 07:58 PM
(22-04-2015 07:36 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sez you.

Well, of course, that's up to you, but you should know that, the study of the Bible is much more accountable than, uh, science, for example. In science you can point to a bump on a frog's ass and make up some reason why it would have evolved that way without fear of contradiction, but when you say, for example, that all people are supposed to be "saved" according to the Bible, you had better be able to explain any alleged contradictions. Like Peter or Jesus warning of the possibility of failing to obtain salvation.

This is sarcastic right? This has got to be sarcastic.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-04-2015, 08:10 PM
(22-04-2015 04:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 02:20 PM)The Theist Wrote:  It isn't supported by scripture.

Apparently there are Biblical scholars who disagree. Universalism: The Prevailing Doctrine Of The Christian Church During Its First Five Hundred Years.

There are always going to be "Biblical Scholars" who disagree. Lets say you had a church and could afford to establish your own religion's school, yeah, I know, it seems a contradiction in terms, but it isn't, anyway, if you can afford it BANG you've got your school and you can teach anything you want.

Most schollars subscribe to some school of thought which usually has more to do with tradition than facts. Think of the soul. Most Biblical scholars will tell you it is immortal when the Bible clearly says it isn't. Or think of all the bullshit you were taught in American school, if you are an American.
22-04-2015, 08:14 PM
(22-04-2015 07:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 07:36 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Well, of course, that's up to you, but you should know that, the study of the Bible is much more accountable than, uh, science, for example. In science you can point to a bump on a frog's ass and make up some reason why it would have evolved that way without fear of contradiction, but when you say, for example, that all people are supposed to be "saved" according to the Bible, you had better be able to explain any alleged contradictions. Like Peter or Jesus warning of the possibility of failing to obtain salvation.

This is sarcastic right? This has got to be sarcastic.

Of course it is! We wouldn't say anything that questioned or reflected poorly on the almighty science!

[+] 1 user Likes The Theist's post
22-04-2015, 08:21 PM
(22-04-2015 08:14 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 07:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is sarcastic right? This has got to be sarcastic.

Of course it is! We wouldn't say anything that questioned or reflected poorly on the almighty science!

I'm calling you TheSarcasticTheist from here on out.

22-04-2015, 08:45 PM
(22-04-2015 08:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm calling you TheSarcasticTheist from here on out.

Fair enough, I suppose, but like good theology, sometimes the interpretation would be that of sarcasm, other times the literal, metaphorical, parabolic, etc.

Why, I've even been known to be wrong on occasion. Only joking. Cool

ETA By the way, can I call you Tellywinkle?
22-04-2015, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 09:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2015 08:45 PM)The Theist Wrote:  By the way, can I call you Tellywinkle?

TinkyWinky works too. But go with your gut SarcasticTheist. That's what I do.

22-04-2015, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 09:46 PM by The Theist.)
(22-04-2015 09:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  TinkyWinky works too. But go with your gut SarcasticTheist. That's what I do.

WHY?! Why can't they leave TinkyWinky alone?! But, I was thinking more along the lines of Gardening With Maurice. I've been playing GTASA. For years.

ETA But it wasn't Tellywinkle, it was Telllywelly. My mistake.