Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
22-04-2015, 09:59 PM
RE: Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
(22-04-2015 09:33 PM)The Theist Wrote:  ETA But it wasn't Tellywinkle, it was Telllywelly. My mistake.

Well that changes everything.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2015, 10:22 AM
(22-04-2015 08:14 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 07:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is sarcastic right? This has got to be sarcastic.

Of course it is! We wouldn't say anything that questioned or reflected poorly on the almighty science!

Science works, theology is make believe. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2015, 11:50 AM
(21-04-2015 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 09:46 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I just thought of an outstandingly strange alternative future where Jesus is still adored an respected as the savior... but that he actually saved us from Religion. And that he did save us from sins by removing the foolish rigid nature of calling plenty of natural human actions sins.

That is actually far closer to The Truth That Is The Word than any christian doctrine.

Yep. If there really was a Jesus, he was atheist. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-08-2015, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 05:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
and the sound from our resident Christian crickets is ... Crickets

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-08-2015, 10:08 PM
(05-08-2015 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  and the sound from our resident Christian crickets is ... Crickets

That cricket looks more like a rat.

Anyways what more do you want said? Mark covered it fairly well on the first page.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
06-08-2015, 06:16 AM
(05-08-2015 10:08 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  and the sound from our resident Christian crickets is ... Crickets

That cricket looks more like a rat.

Anyways what more do you want said? Mark covered it fairly well on the first page.

He bumped it because it was brought up in a thread of mine.
06-08-2015, 06:19 AM
(22-04-2015 06:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Where God in this scenario begins to appear as the permissive father, allowing his children to live as they want and choose, and whose role is seemingly absent and unconcerned. He's merely a father who keeps the lights on, and served as our cosmic sperm donor.

As opposed to a god who deeply cares for his children, teaches them right from wrong, gives them the freedom to make their own decisions, and then tortures them for infinity years if they don't swear an oath of fealty to him.

The problem with the Christian God is, no matter how you try and paint him, he always comes off looking pretty bad (unless you resort to only telling half the story).
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Universality would solve some of the most disturbing and central immoral foundations of Christianity. But how do we get to that from the bible? There lies the rub for literalists and fundamentalists.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Christianity survives by stroking the egos of its congregation into thinking they are special and feeding into their arrogance that what they think somehow matters. God does not give a shit what you think or believe. God will do what God will do and you thinking you can influence God with your beliefs is the height of arrogance and blasphemy.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-08-2015, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 07:06 AM by GirlyMan.)
(06-08-2015 06:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Universality would solve some of the most disturbing and central immoral foundations of Christianity. But how do we get to that from the bible? There lies the rub for literalists and fundamentalists.

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. (Colossians 1-20, KJV)

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. (1 Corinthians 15:20-22, KJV)

1 Corinthians 15:22, "As all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ"

1 Corinthians 15:28, "God will be all in all"

Lamentations 3:31-33 (NIV), "For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love"

1 Timothy 4:10 (NIV), "We have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."

There are many many more. I'll make a list.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post