Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
06-08-2015, 07:53 AM
RE: Why are Christians so opposed to Universal Reconciliation?
(06-08-2015 06:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Universality would solve some of the most disturbing and central immoral foundations of Christianity. But how do we get to that from the bible? There lies the rub for literalists and fundamentalists.

There's a book by Rob Bell called Love Wins that does this. My wife is a super big fan of the book. Of course, opponents will point out that one of the central claims made by the book is poorly supported (and they're right)... but that applies to their whole religion anyway, so, there's that.

The basic idea of the book is that hell was a garbage dump in Jerusalem (the poorly supported part) that people of the time and area would know about. Jesus was super big into symbolism, and was using this to describe more "spiritual" things. So, when everyone dies, they actually go to heaven, but "hell" how some people deal with it. This involves things like Hitler finding out that he's sitting at a table in heaven with Jews and black people, and he has to come to terms with that. I'd get up there, have a bit of egg on my face for having been wrong, then move on with everyone else singing Kumbaya with everyone else.

So, yeah, my wife was able to jettison the notion of hell and Satan while having a quasi-biblical justification for all of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
(19-04-2015 09:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why are Christians almost universally opposed to the idea that the sacrifice of The Christ unconditionally atoned for the sins of all mankind everywhere everywhen? Everyone is saved by virtue of that sacrifice regardless of what any of us say or do or believe. Why do almost all Christians reject that Salvation is unconditional and universal? To add conditions to Salvation not only diminishes the sacrifice to the point of trivializing it, but to further base that condition on some mental state in my head seems the utmost in arrogance. I can't think of anything more blasphemous than to predicate Salvation on personal metaphysical opinion. Where the hell did that even come from?

So why can't Christians accept that? Do they need to feel special? Can they not accept the concept of a free lunch? Does it somehow undermine their perverted sense of justice? I just don't get it.
Salvation from hell(death) is universal and free. Salvation from hell(death) is unconditional.
Exaltation is conditional. It is not free. You have to work for it.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Even if speaking Klingon were my 20th language, I wouldn't find it hard to say: "I believe" or "It's my understanding" before blurting out countless interpretations of text. Why is that such a tough concept to grasp?

And spare us all this BOM/D&C/PGP recital. Do you have any original thoughts on the subjects, or is your position entirely informed by LDS canon and LDS canon alone? For instance, what did you think or what were your thoughts on these topics before conversion?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
09-08-2015, 11:01 PM
(09-08-2015 10:57 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Even if speaking Klingon were my 20th language, I wouldn't find it hard to say: "I believe" or "It's my understanding" before blurting out countless interpretations of text. Why is that such a tough concept to grasp?

And spare us all this BOM/D&C/PGP recital. Do you have any original thoughts on the subjects, or is your position entirely informed by LDS canon and LDS canon alone? For instance, what did you think or what were your thoughts on these topics before conversion?

But conversion is so much easier than actually thinking for yourself.

Why have your own thoughts, when you can have them prepackaged for you?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-08-2015, 11:15 PM
(09-08-2015 10:57 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Even if speaking Klingon were my 20th language, I wouldn't find it hard to say: "I believe" or "It's my understanding" before blurting out countless interpretations of text. Why is that such a tough concept to grasp?
Of course, I believe. I just do not remind about it every time.
(09-08-2015 10:57 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Do you have any original thoughts on the subjects,
What for?
(09-08-2015 10:57 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  or is your position entirely informed by LDS canon and LDS canon alone?
on this matter, yes
(09-08-2015 10:57 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  For instance, what did you think or what were your thoughts on these topics before conversion?
Before conversion I didn't have original thoughts on this subject. I only heard different ideas.

09-08-2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks for confirming everything I needed to know. Now, I won't feel bad watching others absolutely annihilate your positions, moving forward.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 11:22 PM
(09-08-2015 11:17 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Thanks for confirming everything I needed to know. Now, I won't feel bad watching others absolutely annihilate your positions, moving forward.
welcome

10-08-2015, 03:53 AM
(09-08-2015 11:17 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Thanks for confirming everything I needed to know. Now, I won't feel bad watching others absolutely annihilate your positions, moving forward.

Her butt is still probably a little sore from GWG's thrashing on the Mormon thread.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-08-2015, 06:24 AM
(10-08-2015 03:53 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Her butt is still probably a little sore from GWG's thrashing on the Mormon thread.

Maybe she'll disappear for another year, like she did after the last thrashing I gave her, before she reappeared recently. Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
(10-08-2015 03:53 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Weeping Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post