Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?
(28-07-2012 05:20 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 04:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  Just that they're more visible. Not many westerners have *not* had a JW knock on the door. Also they're quite persistent. Couldn't give two shits about what you believe myself, but if you insist on shoving in my face then I'm gonna have a problem. Since they make it a central part of their religion to do so... screw them.

You can look at it that it's not really wrong and it's part of their beliefs and so on, but just like a telemarketer, I'm not even interested in receiving one stupid phone call advertising afterlife products. Mind you, it's not really more trouble than telling every other crazy person who comes to my door to shove it... so I guess maybe I'm just a grumpy fuck who doesn't appreciate nice people trying to save me from damnation Big Grin

I may be a bit biased, whenever someone I know say something like "Yeah, some JW came to my house this morning so I told them to FUCK OFF! and slammed the door in their face" I'm like, dude, that could have been my grandma. My grandma is awesome. You're an asshole. I always tell people that there is no call for being rude to them, they're people just like you, and don't deserve abuse for doing what they think is right. Being annoyed is no reason to abuse someone.

No, what they are doing is intrusive and annoying. It matters not that they think they are right. Maybe if enough people tell them to piss off, they'll get the message.

But I don't think so. When they come to my door, I will engage them, I will show them courtesy, but I will give them no quarter in discussion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2012, 05:33 PM
RE: Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?
Mormons wear special underwear to keep demons from getting at their junk. That's probably my favorite kooky religious thing... oh... and snake handling - I love that shit. Heart

All the faithful seem insanely delusional to me. As I'm sure I seem insane to them for not having a faith to control my life.

So, who is saying Jehovah's Witnesses are wackier than any other cult? I guess I don't keep up with people who give a crap about this stuff.

Ooh... here's another koo-koo-krazy thing: Many people in China eat hard boiled eggs soaked in the urine of 10 year old virgin boys, because they believe it gives them virility and boosts their resistance to disease, giving them all around good health.
Oh YUM!
Drooling

Personally, I don't single out any faith, per se ... it's belief itself, and the adherence to it which I find insane.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
28-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm guessing you've been exposed to a moderate version of Jehovah's Witnesses. Like Moderate Muslims, they're a lot more tolerant and open-minded in general. They're not as strict.

Extremists are out there. If you take someone who practices Jainism, the more of an extremist they are, the more peaceful they are. If you see an extremist Muslim, it could go as far as the person blowing themselves up.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
28-07-2012, 05:56 PM
(28-07-2012 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 05:20 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  I may be a bit biased, whenever someone I know say something like "Yeah, some JW came to my house this morning so I told them to FUCK OFF! and slammed the door in their face" I'm like, dude, that could have been my grandma. My grandma is awesome. You're an asshole. I always tell people that there is no call for being rude to them, they're people just like you, and don't deserve abuse for doing what they think is right. Being annoyed is no reason to abuse someone.

No, what they are doing is intrusive and annoying. It matters not that they think they are right. Maybe if enough people tell them to piss off, they'll get the message.

But I don't think so. When they come to my door, I will engage them, I will show them courtesy, but I will give them no quarter in discussion.

There really is no need to tell them to piss off. They honestly do have a do not call list. Please, anyone who doesn't want to be bothered by them, just request that the do not call at that address in the future. They just don't go randomly knocking on doors. They break down cities into territories, and will pretty much try to cover every territory each month. People are assigned territories they are responsible for, and at the end of the month, the territories are put back into the pool and reassigned. There are designations for each address, such as no answer, or they took literature, or not interested, or do not call. Without a do not call designation, you're guaranteed to get a new batch the next month, with no idea what you told the last ones.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
[+] 1 user Likes Pavlov's_Ape's post
28-07-2012, 06:05 PM
(28-07-2012 05:56 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 05:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, what they are doing is intrusive and annoying. It matters not that they think they are right. Maybe if enough people tell them to piss off, they'll get the message.

There really is no need to tell them to piss off. They honestly do have a do not call list. Please, anyone who doesn't want to be bothered by them, just request that the do not call at that address in the future. They just don't go randomly knocking on doors. They break down cities into territories, and will pretty much try to cover every territory each month. People are assigned territories they are responsible for, and at the end of the month, the territories are put back into the pool and reassigned. There are designations for each address, such as no answer, or they took literature, or not interested, or do not call. Without a do not call designation, you're guaranteed to get a new batch the next month, with no idea what you told the last ones.

And what is your view in engaging them in discussion, or proselytizing them on atheism?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-07-2012, 06:08 PM
(28-07-2012 05:48 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm guessing you've been exposed to a moderate version of Jehovah's Witnesses. Like Moderate Muslims, they're a lot more tolerant and open-minded in general. They're not as strict.

Extremists are out there. If you take someone who practices Jainism, the more of an extremist they are, the more peaceful they are. If you see an extremist Muslim, it could go as far as the person blowing themselves up.

They may well be true. I have no doubt that there are regional difference to how religions are practiced, JWs being no exception. I've heard people say before that JWs forbid alcohol. There would be a backlash of epic proportions around here if that were actually instituted as doctrine. Smile They drink like fishes where I'm from. It's the only friggin vice they're allowed! The general thinking is that if Jesus turned water into wine, alcohol is a-ok. Smile I was in the liquor store yesterday and there was a 70+ year old woman buying a flat of beer. I spied the no blood transfusion directive card in her wallet as she was paying and couldn't help but giggle to myself.
I guess us Canucks are just a bunch of bleeding red liberals. Smile

It's bloody confusing that red means liberal up here and blue means conservative. I'd end up moving to a red state and wonder why everyone was so fucked up. Smile

28-07-2012, 06:13 PM
(28-07-2012 06:08 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 05:48 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I'm guessing you've been exposed to a moderate version of Jehovah's Witnesses. Like Moderate Muslims, they're a lot more tolerant and open-minded in general. They're not as strict.

They may well be true. I have no doubt that there are regional difference to how religions are practiced, JWs being no exception. I've heard people say before that JWs forbid alcohol. There would be a backlash of epic proportions around here if that were actually instituted as doctrine. Smile They drink like fishes where I'm from. It's the only friggin vice they're allowed! The general thinking is that if Jesus turned water into wine, alcohol is a-ok. Smile I was in the liquor store yesterday and there was a 70+ year old woman buying a flat of beer. I spied the no blood transfusion directive card in her wallet as she was paying and couldn't help but giggle to myself.

It's bloody confusing that red means liberal up here and blue means conservative. I'd end up moving to a red state and wonder why everyone was so fucked up. Smile

I was raised in the extremist side of Jehovah's Witnesses. I just recently called it quits with my folks. But I understand not all Jehovah's Witnesses are like that.

Love the Mal quote! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-07-2012, 06:14 PM
(28-07-2012 06:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 05:56 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  There really is no need to tell them to piss off. They honestly do have a do not call list. Please, anyone who doesn't want to be bothered by them, just request that the do not call at that address in the future. They just don't go randomly knocking on doors. They break down cities into territories, and will pretty much try to cover every territory each month. People are assigned territories they are responsible for, and at the end of the month, the territories are put back into the pool and reassigned. There are designations for each address, such as no answer, or they took literature, or not interested, or do not call. Without a do not call designation, you're guaranteed to get a new batch the next month, with no idea what you told the last ones.

And what is your view in engaging them in discussion, or proselytizing them on atheism?

Go hard! I expressed my views on proselytizing atheism in an early post on this thread. No one should get a free ride on preaching their religion to you, especially if they're the ones who begin the discussion. That's my general rule for that sort of discussion. I never bring it up myself, but as soon as someone else broaches the subject, I begin to foam at the mouth. I'm constantly reminded to behave myself when attending gatherings or parties. I forget that not everyone likes to engage in serious philosophical debates after a couple of drinks. Smile Weirdos.

[+] 4 users Like Pavlov's_Ape's post
28-07-2012, 06:23 PM
(28-07-2012 06:13 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 06:08 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  They may well be true. I have no doubt that there are regional difference to how religions are practiced, JWs being no exception. I've heard people say before that JWs forbid alcohol. There would be a backlash of epic proportions around here if that were actually instituted as doctrine. Smile They drink like fishes where I'm from. It's the only friggin vice they're allowed! The general thinking is that if Jesus turned water into wine, alcohol is a-ok. Smile I was in the liquor store yesterday and there was a 70+ year old woman buying a flat of beer. I spied the no blood transfusion directive card in her wallet as she was paying and couldn't help but giggle to myself.

I was raised in the extremist side of Jehovah's Witnesses. I just recently called it quits with my folks. But I understand not all Jehovah's Witnesses are like that.

Love the Mal quote! Thumbsup

I'm really sorry to hear that. The more I actually hear from other ex JWs, the more I realize that the church isn't the perfectly united body I had always thought it was when it comes to their interpretations of scripture. I suppose its no different than all the different factions of catholicism throughout the world. Loosely tied at best. And people wonder why there ae so many different sects of christianity.

Mal is just the most damn quotable person in the whole multiverse. The problem is just picking one! Thumbsup

28-07-2012, 06:25 PM
(28-07-2012 04:16 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(28-07-2012 03:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Not sure why Atheists as a group would think JDubs are sillier than other religions. But from my own experience, the view of JDubs being so wacky is their departure from "mainstream" Christianity:

Using their own Bible translation with variant texts to stretch their interpretations

Not believing in the Trinity, ie, Jesus is a creature, not God

Before his Incarnation, Jesus was was Michael the Archangel and essentially equal with Lucifer

Forbidding kids to celebrate holidays and birthdays

Not saying the Pledge of Allegiance or Voting in public elections

Blood transfusions

Excessive Proselytizing with Literature

First taught that only 144,000 would be saved, then changed the doctrine to say that 144,000 would be truly "born again" and rule in heaven with Jesus, while all the other Witnesses will just live in the New World

And probably a wheel-barrow load of a lot more silliness. Drinking Beverage

I find it interesting that you would call a lot of those things silliness when they are precisely a lot of the things that mainstream Christianity is taken to task for by a lot of atheists.

-I don't know how many things I've read or watched about trinitarian belief being contradicted by scripture, and the history of the trinity stemming from other religions.

-Nowhere in scripture is Satan said to be anything other than an angel. Almost all ideas of the devil are creations of the early church and have nothing to do with the bible.

-Atheists mock christians for not knowing the origins of the Christmas as a completely non-christian celebration, but you think its silly that JWs do know these things and choose not to celebrate it as it has nothing to do with Jesus?

-Atheism is increasingly reactionary against the power of religion in the political arena, yet its found strange when a group refuses to engage in politics in any way, as they were instructed to do by Jesus.

-Proselytizing is a central tenant of Jesus teachings.

-The rejection of the concept of hell avoids a lot of contradictions found in the majority of christian doctrine. A corporeal hope for the afterlife makes much more sense in light of the origin stories of the bible.

So yeah, they deviate from a lot of mainstream christianity, but not in an illogical or wacky manner.

You asked why, I told you. You seem intent on defending your former beliefs. I recommend you debate these issues with a Christian who gives a fuck.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post